Cozumel to Riviera Maya

mauprietomauprieto New Orleans, LAMember
edited April 2021 in Cheering Section

Hi all. I just wanted to share with you a relay swim that I will do with my 16 year of daughter and my wife from Cozumel and the Riviera Maya in Mexico. My daughter was motivated to do this swim to raise money for scholarships for hispanic students in New Orleans, where we currently live. The swim is being coordinated by the Mexican Open Water Association (led by Nora Toledano) under English Channel rules.

BogdanZIronMikeAzskiStLucia_ChannelcurlyKatieBunMLambycelsarbo5gregoc

Comments

• AzskiAzski ArizonaMember

Bravo! Beautiful family fundraising for a great cause. Great swim selection. If you get a chance go to the Telum archeological site. Walk the wooden stairs down to the sea and swim out to veiw the prehistoric Mayan ruins from the ocean. I just donated and encourage everyone to do the same!!

mauprieto
  • mauprietomauprieto New Orleans, LAMember

Thank you so much Azski. My daughter is beyond honored by your support.

• AzskiAzski ArizonaMember

When you can,Please, let us all know how the swim went.

IronMike
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

Would love to hear some details. Plus how did you hire a boat etc. I've dove Cozumel many times and have looked across that channel (with a strong current) hmmm I should swim that.

IronMike
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Mauprieto. Any updates on how the swim went? My wife and I go to the Yucatan every year, and I would love to maybe try this swim. Would love to get a blow by blow account. I hope you were able to raise a ton of money for your charity. All the best!

Openh2oIronMike

Here's an article on the completed swim. These people must be descended from dolphins. 6:52 for 20 (well, between 18 and 20 depending on exact route) miles in an ocean cross current! Seriously impressive if it's accurate. Congrats!!

https://www.nola.com/news/article_aad2a9a8-48b9-11eb-a95d-2fca34cf9c01.html

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member
    edited February 2021

@MLamby do you know what the course was? I am trying to figure out where there is an 18 mile distance, when I look at a map I see 12ish?

Editing to add: This like a very cool swim and route and I do not intend to take anything away from the family's awesome achievement with my question!

I don’t. They said 20. I read anywhere from 12 to 20. I don’t want to take away anything either. But 6 plus hours for 20 miles...as stated in the article...seemed awfully impressive to me!! 👍

abbygirlrose
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Can it be as simple as the article author mistaking km for miles? I Google-measure it and come up with ~17-18km. ????

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

@IronMike said:
    Can it be as simple as the article author mistaking km for miles? I Google-measure it and come up with ~17-18km. ????

Ooh that could be! I was also thinking route vs distance swum given current?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2021

Here is the course path given by the organizers (amexaa.org):

The shortest line across the strait is about 17.5km (11 miles) along a SE-NW line, but I believe there is a strong south-to-north current here from the Gulf Stream, so swimmers will tend to travel along a longer S-N line. Similar situation to the Strait of Gibraltar swim. Of course, the official/recognized distance of the swim is still the shortest path (no extra credit for distance traveled due to currents!)

abbygirlroseLakeBaggerIronMikeSoloMLambygregoc

Thanks for clarifying!

IronMikeMLamby