Swim Videos

Comments

• HaydnHaydn Member
    Looked a fab pace. Great vid.
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member

Cook Strait Video - Craig Lenning & Darren Miller!
    www.darren-miller.com ENJOY!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Saw this on another OW site. It is first-rate:

-LBJ
    Kate_Alexander

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    LOL, SO Demonic, Simplistic, and Oh So Catchy!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2013
    Cruise ships pulling out at inconvenient times. All part of the MIMS experience.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited July 2013
    Not quite a swim video but relevant, the best Lion's Mane jelly video I've seen posted elsewhere by @Pmb

Tracy_Clark

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
  • evmo wrote:
    Cruise ships pulling out at inconvenient times. All part of the MIMS experience.

Great fun, as long as you're not the one the NYPD is ordering out of the water...
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    edited October 2013
    Entry for SCAR Swim 2014 coming soon. Here is a clip of the 2013 swims which had 12 Triple Crown swimmers participate. Not a bad early season warm up for channel swimmers.

loneswimmer
  • Nice day, nice video Niek! It was fun to be part of that swim!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    "Crossing Hell's Mouth tells the story of Frank Chalmers, an open water swimmer who is setting off on the challenge of his life. Having successfully swum the English Channel, Frank has been training for over a year in preparation for his toughest swim yet; to cross the Pentland Firth."

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited January 2014
    @swimmer25k
    Well that was a fun watch. Great soundtrack...rockstar.
    :-)
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    Thanks Chris! Learned a ton by watching those two videos, plus they were just fun.
    KK
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    edited August 2014
    Adding Scott's film here.

JBirrrd

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• Video of the Clean Half 15km swim in Hong Kong on 11th July 2014:

There's a cool video on youtube:
    edited October 2014
    This entire thread is like the world's greatest swimming video playlist. Great stuff from everyone.

loneswimmer.com

• mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    edited October 2014
    suffering at the end of 21 miles fresh water
    TimDex
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    edited October 2014
  • TheoTheo Oxnard, CAMember
    A three person solo swim of Catalina by Ventura County Masters swimmers on Oct 16-17, 2014.
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    We finally got a copy of Driven and watched it last night. I clapped, I cheered, I even cried a little. Very cool! =D>
    Lynnkub

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

edited October 2014
    Here's one a bit different(I think, but don't we all). I was swim guiding a friend around our local area (Ireland SE) for what I thought was a trip for him to film the caves. What resulted was to me something entirely unexpected. It's 18 mins long and needs sound. I can say I did not know he was doing any of this until I saw the finished product.

evmoSpacemanspifftortugaIronMikeLeonard_JansenJSwimRobertPalmese

loneswimmer.com

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    @swimmer25k Wow. That was some inspiring stuff. I think every one of those songs have been on a my pre-swim playlist (or "mix tape," as it were) at some point, except for that unholy P-Diddy sampling of Kashmir (BLASPHEMY!). Next time someone asks you if you "have any predictions for the swim," go with this one:

Well done...
    tortuga

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited November 2014
    @swimmer25k Wow. That was some inspiring stuff. I think every one of those songs have been on a my pre-swim playlist (or "mix tape," as it were) at some point, except for that unholy P-Diddy sampling of Kashmir (BLASPHEMY!).

Thank you very much. I'm having back surgery #7 this Tuesday, so yet another opportunity for a comeback. My next swim (if and when) will be Catalina. I need to get the Triple Crown done. I've got fast EC and MIMS times and I'd like to have the lowest overall cumulative time (no idea what it is).

Working title for that movie is "Seasons in the Abyss" (title taken from a great Slayer ballad) and "Eye of the Tiger" is on the soundtrack. It started out as a goof, but then I listened to the lyrics. They seem appropriate for what I'll have to do.

Craig (my trainer in the EC swim) will be at the hospital this week for some sweet video recording of my suffering. Can't wait.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    South End Rowing Club's Thanksgiving Alcatraz swim, as seen from a quadcopter drone fitted with a GoPro:

loneswimmer
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2016

Here's some footage of a great open water stroke. This is Patti Bauernfeind yesterday in the Cook Strait.

She finished successfully in 8 hrs 10 min.

In 2014, Patti completed the first trans-Monterey Bay solo swim since 1980, documented here:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2014/patti-bauernfeind-monterey-bay/

JSwimChrisBtortuga
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

swimmer25k said:
    Here's mine:

With all the rave reviews, I'm anxious to see this video, but when I tried to open it, I got a message saying it was private. I tried signing in to Youtube and still no luck. Suggestions? Thanks!

swimmer25k
    edited February 2016

Part 1:

Part 2:

evmodpm50ChrisB

Just saw part 1...love it! Will watch part 2 tomorrow.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

evmo said:
    Here's some footage of a great open water stroke. This is Patti Bauernfeind yesterday in the Cook Strait.

She finished successfully in 8 hrs 10 min.

In 2014, Patti completed the first trans-Monterey Bay solo swim since 1980, documented here:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2014/patti-bauernfeind-monterey-bay/

Wow! She is zooming!

JSwimwendyv34

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Holey moley.. fast and FLAT!!
    That looks like SOOOO much FUN!!!

dpm50 said:

Enjoyed part 2 just as much plus some! But here's the scary thing.... the thought pops into my head as I watch... could I do that? Certainly not nearly as fast, that I know. And really, my stretch goal now is 8 miles. What am I even thinking!

dpm50 said:

dpm50 said:

Enjoyed part 2 just as much plus some! But here's the scary thing.... the thought pops into my head as I watch... could I do that? Certainly not nearly as fast, that I know. And really, my stretch goal now is 8 miles. What am I even thinking!

If you can swim for 3 hours, you can go for 13. Dedicate yourself to the training and get your head right. It's all up to you.

NoelFigartdpm50

swimmer25k said:

If you can swim for 3 hours, you can go for 13. Dedicate yourself to the training and get your head right. It's all up to you.

Let's see how the 8 miles goes! Even 5.5 took me 3:20 last year! But never say 'never'! Each goal reached opens the door to another....a great, albeit a little unnerving aspect of swimming. (Similar thinking operated for me as a runner. First, try running a mile...then a 5k....10k...Half marathon. ...ok, ok, a marathon. ... but that's it! Butwhat about qualifying for Boston....so the quest continued. Got into Boston. Hooked on running.... series of injuries and illnesses followed....then masters swimming beckoned. Still run, but my dream goals are swims these days!

tortuga
  • rlmrlm Senior Member

dpm, I quoted you in my Daily Calendar..."Each goal reached opens the door to another." I LOVE this thought. Thank-You!!! Goals come from Dreams and Dreams come from Wild Imaginings!!! The idea and possibility that you can doing anything through consistent effort & determination, makes the seemingly impossible, possible. Goal achievement is incremental and cumulative. Each day is preparation for the next! Here's to "Wild Imaginings" and opening the next door. Again, THANKS. RLM Here's one for you..."We begin to understand BEFORE we understand!"

tortugadpm50Chrisgreene
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member

rlm said:
    dpm, I quoted you in my Daily Calendar..."Each goal reached opens the door to another." I LOVE this thought. Thank-You!!! Goals come from Dreams and Dreams come from Wild Imaginings!!! The idea and possibility that you can doing anything through consistent effort & determination, makes the seemingly impossible, possible. Goal achievement is incremental and cumulative. Each day is preparation for the next! Here's to "Wild Imaginings" and opening the next door. Again, THANKS. RLM Here's one for you..."We begin to understand BEFORE we understand!"

I'm going to plagiarize this. Good stuff.

dpm50

OMG! So honored! :) Thank you so much! And love your understanding before we understand thought!

rlm said:

• landlordlandlord Member
    edited March 2016

Hey,

it is not a video. It is a poem. It is a photo of a poem on a wall. It is originally Flemish, and there is an English translation. I like it very much. Hope you enjoy it as well.

snoek0

Een zwemmer is een ruiter

Zwemmen is losbandig slapen in spartelend water,
    is liefhebben met elke nog bruikbare porie,
    is eindeloos vrij zijn en inwendig zegevieren.

En zwemmen is de eenzaamheid betasten met vingers,
    is met armen en benen aloude geheimen vertellen
    aan het altijd alles begrijpende water.

Ik moet bekennen dat ik gek ben van het water.
    Want in het water adem ik water, in het water
    word ik een schepper die zijn schepping omhelst,
    en in het water kan men nooit geheel alleen zijn
    en toch nog eenzaam blijven.

Zwemmen is een beetje bijna heilig zijn.

A swimmer is a horseman

Swimming is licentiously sleeping in sprawling water.
    is making love with each still operable pore
    is endlessly being free and inwardly triumphing.

And swimming is touching solitude with fingers
    is with arms and legs telling ancient secrets
    to the always all-comprehending water.

I have to admit that I’m crazy for water.
    For in water I breathe water, in water
    I am a creator who embraces his creation
    and in water you can never be wholly alone,
    and still remain lonesome.

Swimming is being almost a little bit holy.

NoelFigartSpacemanspifftortugadpm50RoelLynnkubswimdaily
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Amen...

Kate_Alexander
  • RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember

Landlord, do you know where the photo is taken?

• Roel said:
    Landlord, do you know where the photo is taken?

Paramaribostraat 66 (in zwembad 'De Zijl'), Leiden

• RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember

Cool! thanks :) is that your home pool?

• Roel said:
    Cool! thanks :) is that your home pool?

No, not at all. I found this poem on the internets and data about the pool was attached.

I am glad that you like it.

Roel
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber

I have a number marathon swim videos on my "oceanswimmr" Youtube channel and a couple were on this thread.
    I recently had the honor of getting to do documentary of Scott Zornig's swim around Coronado Island in San Diego. (As attractive as it was, I am not sure I would do that swim myself because of the extensive USEPA 303(d) list of impairments...if you don't know what that is and you are over 50, don't worry. If you are younger and you want to have babies at some point, look it up)
    Here is the link:

evmoTheopavlicov
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

My 2016 Catalina Swim Video:

evmopavlicov
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited July 2016

From my failed attempt at Issyk Kul last year.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Robin Rose's English Channel swim (16 hrs, 15 min)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2017

I enjoyed this short film of Antonio Argüelles' recent Cook Strait swim:

Check out the drone footage! Such a cool way to document a marathon swim... and getting more affordable.

thelittlemerwookieswimrn62IronMike