Just to lighten things up a bit...

Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
The whole Diana Nyad discussion has made for a certain tension in this forum. So, here is what I have learned in the locker room of the pool.

I sometimes train right after some of the age-group kids (about 8 years old, I think) get done with their training. They have some interesting discussions, such as:

1) Why is Brooke the coolest girl in school? "Because she doesn't act like a girl and try to hold your hand or kiss you. She also doesn't pass love notes in class that the other girls (who are passing it-LBJ.) read and tease you about. She also beat up Tommy Somebody-or-other who eats his own boogers." (Note: It wasn't clear if Tommy got beaten up for eating his boogers or some other egregious 8 year old offense.)
2) Who was St. Joan Of Arc? The kids are a mixture of the public school kids and a few who go to St. Joan Of Arc Catholic school. The public school kids asked the St. Joan's kids who exactly St. Joan was. This precipated a debate among the St. Joan kids that makes the Diana Nyad debate seem tame. Finally, they came to a consensus: "St. Joan of Arc was Jesus' girlfriend."
3) One kid was getting in the shower and set his IPhone (it's a wealthy community) on a ledge just outside the shower. The phone rang, but the kid was wet, so he asked his friend to get it.
Kid A: "Answer my phone. It might be my mom."
Kid B: (Clearly had no experience with an iPhone) "OK, but how do you answer the phone?"
Kid A: "Oh, I always say 'Hello...'." ("Hello" said in a real sing-song way, like my grandmother used to do. -LBJ)
4) How come Lance wasn't in school for a few days: "He stuck some pieces of cushion foam up his nose and one got stuck in the open area in his head (sinus cavity -LBJ) but he didn't tell his mom until he started to give off a bad smell when his head got infected. So they had to operate and give him drugs."
5) One other kid's comment about the same Lance just mentioned: "He's weird about his nose. He sometimes sticks a straw up his nose in the lunchroom and then drinks milk through the straw."

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I love you @Leonard. I hope you are comfortable with me saying that! :-)

loneswimmer.com

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    I think Lance and Tommy Somebody-or-other might find that they have a lot in common. :)
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    I absolutely needed this today!
  • I love you @Leonard. I hope you are comfortable with me saying that! :-)

No problem. Nothing like an occasional transatlantic "bromance" to spice things up.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde