110 miles, 53 hours: Questions for Diana Nyad

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Splitting these off, out of respect for @MvG's sentiment.

This discussion was created from comments split from:
- Diana Nyad's epic swim
- Here we go again...

Comments

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    IF Diana Nyad swam from Cuba to Florida unassisted, with the jelly costume and face mask being the only deviation from traditional channel rules, then it should be celebrated as one of the world's greatest endurance feats.

I don't think a little skepticism about the current swim is unfair or mean, given the dubious circumstances and reporting of her previous swims.

Assuming she finishes, I hope she and her team will make completely clear what, exactly, has been accomplished. Did she swim the whole way? Did she ever rest on the boat? Was she ever towed by the boat? How does she account for the unusually fast progress she made, seemingly far in excess of her personal swim speed?

Then the marathon swimming community can evaluate the claims and the evidence, and decide whether we believe her.
    Theodore
  • A post from Janet Hinkle, Independent Observer...

"As an "official" observer, it's my job, along with co-observe Roger McVeigh, to make sure Diana obey's rules associated with this competitive swim. Her handlers can feed her, rub chafing cream on her shoulders, apply sunscreen to her lips, and make sure she has enough water to stay hydrated. What is strictly taboo is giving her any assistance with making progress on the swim - hanging on boats, etc. It's a rule that everyone takes seriously - Diana in particular."

"As an observer it's my job to take notes on the progress of the trip. I get most of my information from navigator John Bartlett. Wind direction, boat speed, course changes, Diana's feeding breaks, any significant event are all a part of the log I am keeping."

http://www.diananyad.com/blog/you-dont-say
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Who are Janet Hinkle and Roger McVeigh?
  • mrfinbarrmrfinbarr Charter Member
    I am in awe of what Diana has achieved!

I have had a look on her website & I can't find any set of rules. I really want her to address this issue, what she has done is huge but I want to fully know what she has actually achieved. Unfortunately she stand on her own reputation.
    loneswimmer
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    One big clarification I'm hoping to see is: Did she swim the whole way without physical assistance?

Happy to give Diana all due credit and acclaim, as soon as I know what I'm giving credit for. This is one reason it's better to publish the rules ahead of time rather than after the fact, and use observers that are known and trusted by the community.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Let's start with what we know:

A couple days ago, Diana Nyad entered the water west of Havana, Cuba. 53 hours later, she walked ashore in Key West.
    loneswimmer
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    edited September 2013
    Niek wrote:

And this was deep into the swim. No food, no electrolytes, no water? They report that she did this because she wanted to keep moving to prevent getting cold(er). At least for me, not feeding for 7 1/2 hours after I had swam more than 24 hours would just lead me to getting colder. Of all of the things I've read this is the one that stands out the most. The only time I go without eating and drinking for 7 1/2 is when I am sleeping. But if she pulled it off, kudos to her.
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    edited September 2013
    Niek wrote:
    youtube.com/watch?v=ygvDnljbnts

With cries in the background of "watch the streamer" - ugh.
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    evmo wrote:
    Splitting these off, out of respect for @MvG's sentiment.

:-) He he he much appreciated this respect for my feelings Evan. In fact, we're not so far apart on the need for questions to be clarified - see my latest comment under the other thread 'Diana Nyad's epic swim'. It's the vitriol in some contributions that bothered me.

If anybody wants to put together a list of simple straightforward questions put respectfully to DN and her team directly (as opposed to flying all over the place on various online forums), not assuming cheating but simply requesting technical clarifications, then I wouldn't be against that.
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    ProSwimmer wrote:
    For anyone who is questioning Nyad's ability to cross in 53 hours, consider not only that she was with the current, but that her time only averages 1:52 per 100 meters. That is incredibly slow! That is even slower considering she was traveling WITH the current. Unbelievably slow. So slow one has to question whether to call it swimming. So the speed is NOT a question.

dang nabbit @Proswimmer, I've been telling my friends I spent 4 hours "swimming" this past weekend, but since my pace was 2:00 per 100m apparently I need a new verb, help a fellow out with that would you?

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• courtneypaulkcourtneypaulk Richmond, VirginiaMember
    ProSwimmer wrote:
    For anyone who is questioning Nyad's ability to cross in 53 hours, consider not only that she was with the current, but that her time only averages 1:52 per 100 meters. That is incredibly slow! That is even slower considering she was traveling WITH the current. Unbelievably slow. So slow one has to question whether to call it swimming. So the speed is NOT a question.

Wow! I have to say I was pretty pleased with my EC swim - but, taking into account distance actually covered and speed per 100 - I averaged about 1:50/100. Now...come to find out I was so slow it may not have qualified as actual swimming. Certainly felt like swimming.

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    May be just me 1:52/100 meters may seem "slow" for an hour or two swim but seems incredibly fast for a swim of this distance and length of time
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Tonight I got home from work late and set myself up to watch some more Downton Abbey, but first wanted to check in on the brewing controversy - it's the most entertainment I've gotten from DN's swim. I find it entertaining because I have really been excited to read those blog posts many of you are probably writing right now explaining how the currents don't line up, and giving me new insight into planning my next swim. But I'm sick of waiting, and now Carson and Lady Mary will have to do the waiting while I jump into this.

Google Earth, isn't that always the first step? And a few assumptions: 1.8mph average swim speed (in zero current, not velocity made good); 53 hours; starting and ending points. Looking at this as a vector of resolution 53 hours, here's what I drew: an arc (white, green) with r=95.4 miles (1.8*53). Then a vector between that arc and the end point at a reasonable angle (red), and then connected them with the resultant (cyan).

This resultant increases the apparent speed from a 2:04/100m pace to a 1:49/100m pace, or an increase in 0.15mph, by the way.

What do I get out of this? Certainly not proof of anything. But it does ruin the fun I was having watching this drama play out.

Again, I'm NOT saying that this is what Nyad did, but merely pointing out that her feat seems plausible based on some basic math. Assuming an average 0.49kt current heading in the general direction of ENE over the course of her swim doesn't sound unreasonable. I don't know...it just isn't so obvious to me anymore that this is controversial.

And now it is way past my bedtime, and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what Matthew will do. Hrrmph.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Yes, "Pro" swimmer, but add in her feed stops of 12 min long, and those stops where her crew would clothe her and put her make-up on...but I guess you're right since she made up all that time on night two what with not needing water or feed for 7+ hours.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I am so confused as to not eating for 7 plus hours. Speaking from experience there is no possible way to have swam for a full day then not eat for this amount of time. No way. During my 25 hour swim I was unable to eat for the last 3 hours. I ended up in the hospital because my body began to eat the protein from my muscles clogging my kidneys. It can not be done. The body will shut down. Fact..... At this point in the swim the body is already very depleted. She was most likely burning around 600 calories an hour and taking in 300. Then to stop eating. Again no way. Either it was not communicated correctly or ..... This past weekend I was part of a swim sanctioned by the SBCSA. An impartial observer was with us. He diligently recorded everything that went on during the swim from feedings to ocean conditions. The log was extremely detailed. The importance of this is crucial. When we look back at this swim there will be a record of everything. Question - Was there an official impartial observer on board? If so lets see the log.
    edited September 2013

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    I scraped all the data I could find from her blog on time & distance. The last column shows her speed on each segment of the swim.
    date  time   elapsed segment total   segment segment
         of day   time    time    dist    dist     mph
    -------------------------------------------------------
    8/31  1415    4:46    4:46    7.05    7.05    1.48
          1844    9:01    4:15    11.85   4.8     1.13
    9/1   0859    24:00   14:15   38.18   26.33   1.85
          1200    27:01   3:01    47.61   9.53    3.16
          1600    31:01   4:00    63.25   15.64   3.91
          2130    36:31   5:30    80.38   17.13   3.11
    9/2   0200    42:01   5:30    93.84   13.46   2.45
          0730    47:31   5:30    103.86  10.02   1.82
          1606    52:54   5:23    110.36  6.50    1.21

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited September 2013
    Note to self:
    When battling a cross current, just make sure I have a support boat w/ gps that knows where it's going. Brilliant.
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member

Who is ProSwimmer? Registered an anonymous acct on Sept 3 and speaks with authority about speed and GPS navigation in open water. Your comments are duly noted. Pool swimmer? Swimmer at all? Mole?
    It is a given that Diana Nyad did not follow conventional marathon swimming rules. I am fine with calling this attempt an adventure swim or whatever. I was a fan. I wanted to see her succeed. But now I too am conflicted.
    Among the many inconsistencies I have read and seen in video footage, I must disagree with ProSwimmer. The speed (nice work Evan), as well as several updates regarding feeds (a 12 min. feed after first 1 ½ hr of swimming and that stoic 7 ½ hour fast Saturday night) are the glaring red flags that make me question the validity of this swim. Diana is a seasoned swimmer. She knew that this historic swim would be publicized world-wide and scrutinized by others in the open water community. And yet she chose a support team and observers who obviously did not know how implausible it would sound to post some of the updates they did. C’mon. Maybe that stuff would go right over a non-swimmers‘ head, but anyone with minimal open water experience should be at least a little bit skeptical.
    The general public wants to believe this phenomenal success story of perseverance and overcoming enormous odds. The media is all too happy to package this feel-good story of the year and deliver it to the world. But one woman’s dream should not supersede the dreams of others. Be assured I will not be attempting this swim ever, but out of respect to those who have or will in the future, Diana and her team need to clarify exactly how this amazing feat was accomplished. I am patiently waiting for the never give up your dreams media blitz to end. Then I am confident that somebody in the mainstream media will start asking the tough questions and the facts will surface. Patience….
    JBirrrd wrote:
    Diana is a seasoned swimmer. She knew that this historic swim would be publicized world-wide and scrutinized by others in the open water community. And yet she chose a support team and observers who obviously did not know how implausible it would sound to post some of the updates they did. C’mon. Maybe that stuff would go right over a non-swimmers‘ head, but anyone with minimal open water experience should be at least a little bit skeptical.

Related to your point, I think it's also important to remember that she has a journalism background, and has been credited as a contributor to NPR. Self promotion isn't entirely bad, but I have trouble with spinning this much of a story without highlighting some of the...inconsistencies.

evmo wrote:
    date  time   elapsed segment total   segment segment
         of day   time    time    dist    dist     mph
    -------------------------------------------------------
    8/31  1415    4:46    4:46    7.05    7.05    1.48
          1844    9:01    4:15    11.85   4.8     1.13
    9/1   1606    52:54   5:23    110.36  6.50    1.21

I think I found the segments she might have actually swum. I adjusted your chart above, @evmo. ;)

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    @evmo That's a helpful clue! I'd like to try to recalculate her route and see if I can get any, some, all, or none of her numbers to work out. An observers report would sure be helpful, but then it wouldn't be quite the same mystery, right?

As a community, we owe it to ourselves to do this exercise. To do it long hand, and with pretty pictures. At the end we'll either have some solid evidence with which to declare fraud, or we'll have the inner workings of an amazing feat of navigation.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

malinaka wrote:
    @evmo That's a helpful clue! I'd like to try to recalculate her route and see if I can get any, some, all, or none of her numbers to work out. An observers report would sure be helpful, but then it wouldn't be quite the same mystery, right?

As a community, we owe it to ourselves to do this exercise. To do it long hand, and with pretty pictures. At the end we'll either have some solid evidence with which to declare fraud, or we'll have the inner workings of an amazing feat of navigation.

Thanks smart guys (if only I was as smart as I look...)
    Not to add to your homework assignment, but could you work up the same for Suzie Marony's caged swim for comparison? (as long as you're not doin' nuthin')

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• I don't like this thread. Knowing the majority of MSF members opinions on Diana have been negative due to her either breaking establish EC rules and developing or inventing her own rules , why didn't an observer from MSF or CSA ask be invited along? Was there nobody on Diana's crew that MSF would believe? It is very clear if her swim is judged under EC rules, then it was a failure. But she still swam a fantastic swim. (better than if it were a wetsuit and fins swim). However, because of the extreme value of this swim (which should go down in history as one of the greatest ever swims), I would expect it to have the greatest degree of transparency, especially to avoid 'fraud' type remarks. I guess in a few days, Diana can be interviewed to clarify exactly how she conducted her swim.
  • Is this attempt, effort, swim(?) going to be Guiness World Record? I thought records had to be verified.... and unequivocable.... Which this is most certainly not....
  • For a Guiness World record, you have to apply to Guiness before your event. They will usually expect the event to be done in accordance with the rules of the governing bodies and will expect the governing bodies observers to ratify a success. Many events (my World Record EC first backstroke swim) won't interest them, they said because the Channel had already been swum. I expect they would say the Cuba swim had already been done too. Although the mileage of Diana's swim might be a new open water distance record, although easily beaten by downstream river swims.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited September 2013
    I think we all disagree with @proswimmer. I think we may all wonder about the experience that drives such assertions made as:

Staying awake and continuing to swim for that long is pretty incredible, but the speed is not.

Paul Newsome measures his sustained marathon non-current assisted speed at 1:45 to 1:50 per 100m but his pool threshold speed at 1:16/1:20 per 100m. Handy having that on his blog. There will be faster swimmers but not that many. Trent Grimsey's (an actual Pro) 100m rate was 1:12 per 100m on the sprint into the Cap and he was World Number 1. Also handy having that.

Staying awake isn't a problem in water while sustaining physical effort. (I once happened on a troll who claimed he could sleep while swimming but I've never heard of anyone falling asleep, which is different from being exhausted).

The physiological limiting factors, all the other usual DN nonsense aside, are salt mouth, ability to keep turning arms over, and a steady energy supply.

And anyone questioning how one swims straight???? Are you kidding me? Just watch the boat. It has a GPS. It's not that hard. Currents don't really play a role since the boat knows where it is going.

Almost every English Channel, North Channel, Tsugaru Channel, Cook Strait etc, swimmer ... ever... knows that the boat can go against or across the tidal current but a swimmer can't. That's what makes it, you know, hard. If it was that easy swimmers could just aim straight for the Cap when it appears. Such a statement shows a considerable lack of understanding of tidal currents amongst other things. That's probably the most inaccurate statement outside a Diana Nyad Tweet..

I'd pretty much decided I wasn't going to write any more on Nyad ever, after all the previous articles I'd written and most especially after what I called the Two Golden Rules:

1. The swimmer/organisation must fully disclose** all the rules and criteria of the swim beforehand.
    2. If the swim is be recognised somehow, then the swim must have fully Independent Observation for Verification that the swim meets these stated rules and the participants must be fully cognizant of all the rules, especially those which relate to Invalidation of a swim.

I'd started from initially being a fan to being utterly disbelieving of anything. To nail my colours up, I'm the far extreme of not believing anything she says or does. However...I think it's obviously good for her own psyche that she's conquered her personal dragon regardless of the fact that I and any others personally disbelieve her. The fact that I don't believe her doesn't mean I want her to be unhappy.

An anecdote: Every time she does something I pick up incoming search engine terms. For the first time in almost four years of loneswimmer.com the search items related to her coming into the site have changed and now include all the following terms, (and I am taking these from the top as they appeared due to frequency):

diana nyad cheated This was the first negative and highest of the search terms with a negative spin to appear. The three higher were all tracker related. This one was one-third of the highest general or positive term. All are exactly as they came in, typos included.
    diana nyad swim rules
    nyad assisted swim
    diana nyad rules
    is nyad 2013 swim a real marathon
    diana nyad stage rules for marathon swimming
    was nyad swim a true marathon
    nyad "touch the boat"
    diana nyad annoying
    dian nyad cheated
    what are the guidelines for the diana nyad cuba to florida swim rules
    rules of diana nyad swim
    rules nyad open water swim
    diana nyad can she hold on to the boat
    diana nyad english channel rules
    diana nyad swim channel rules

With multiple hits on all except the last few, that's a significant change, having never received any similar previously, even last year.

Google autocorrect is as always responsible for multiples of the same unwieldy phrases, once one person picks inputs something, it becomes a template for further queries.

What this demonstrates is that unlike last or previous years, we as a community are, to whatever small extent, being heard, and people are now asking questions where they didn't previously.

This community can take pride in not being blind & unquestioning.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and has a previous mugshot of being an actual duck, then it's, you know, Lance Armstrong.

loneswimmer.com

• I just found this clipping from a Boca Raton newspaper about Susie Maroney's crossing (courtesy of google) that was pretty interesting . Apparently, her swim raised a nearly identical questions. She expected to take about 50 hours but did it in roughly half that time (article didn't provide a number). She and her crew claimed she got huge boost from the current, though former crew members from her previous attempt accused her of hanging on to the cage.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19970514&id=QEFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Uo4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3717,3756021

Well, one good thing from all this. Perhaps with her personal demon conquered, we're done hearing from her?

• If staying warm is your primary objective - so much so that you are willing to forgo food for hours - a small detail like wearing a swim cap should be very high on the priority list.
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    This whole subject frustrates me as to why she cannot come clean. All I will say is.
    Lance was a hero. She for me is in the same bracket
    It takes away from the likes of Wendy T and Marcy M and their recent 2 way EC swims let alone the likes of Phils 3 way (amongst others) that's without even going into the Kevin /Alison swims
    Do me a favour
    Tell us what really happened and stop the speculation or stop this circus
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    Despite being a charter member, It's taken 13 months for me to come back and comment on a thread. Enough said
  • I wish to congratulate Diana for making the world believe that she did the swim.

She is a media celeb and should stay into that world. Marathon swimming is a total different league, in my humble opinion, and should not mixed with that.

I do recall that she used to get in and out of the water in previous attempts so I am inclined to think that she did the same this time, not to mention potentially being towed by one of the support vessels. From what I read above, I have even more reasons to believe that this happened.

It is probably just a matter of time until the truth surfaces and I look forward to that. Meanwhile, I personally withhold any appreciation for this endeavour
  • From DN's press conference yesterday...

"She even admitted, to the chagrin of her friend, trainer and business partner Bonnie Stoll, that she rooted for fellow endurance swimmer Chloe McCardell to fail in her attempt earlier this year and thought some local people in Key West were traitors for working with McCardell and on Penny Palfrey’s attempt in 2012."

DN loves to talk. I believe the more she talks, the more we will learn.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    It is interesting that Nyad is facing the same skepticism that Walter Poenisch dealt with back in 1978.

Granted Poenisch used a snorkel, flippers and a shark cage made of chicken wire, but when he completed his 125 mile swim from Cuba to Marathon Key he was called a "gimmick and a cheat".

Can you guess who made those statements?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=VWFQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kVgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2916,3258841&dq=walter+poenisch&hl=en
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Jamie wrote:
    I am so confused as to not eating for 7 plus hours. Speaking from experience there is no possible way to have swam for a full day then not eat for this amount of time. No way. During my 25 hour swim I was unable to eat for the last 3 hours. I ended up in the hospital because my body began to eat the protein from my muscles clogging my kidneys. It can not be done. The body will shut down. Fact..... At this point in the swim the body is already very depleted. She was most likely burning around 600 calories an hour and taking in 300. Then to stop eating. Again no way. Either it was not communicated correctly or ..... This past weekend I was part of a swim sanctioned by the SBCSA. An impartial observer was with us. He diligently recorded everything that went on during the swim from feedings to ocean conditions. The log was extremely detailed. The importance of this is crucial. When we look back at this swim there will be a record of everything. Question - Was there an official impartial observer on board? If so lets see the log.
    She would've been hallucinating as badly as a good portion of the crowd at Woodstock.

Keep moving forward.

@gregoc, interesting that she calls Poenisch not a legal marathon swimmer. Granted, he's not, having worn flippers, but funny that she's saying that when she was waiting for her shark cage to be built.

IronMike wrote:
    @gregoc, interesting that she calls Poenisch not a legal marathon swimmer. Granted, he's not, having worn flippers, but funny that she's saying that when she was waiting for her shark cage to be built.

At least he was honest about using the fins and snorkel
  • There seems to be a lot of people here on this forum that are hoping that Diana did something to compromise this incredible feat that she has achieved. I am not really very sorry to be the one to disappoint you all, but she did NOT do ANYTHING to compromise her record. I was on the water with Diana for approximately 1/3 of the swim, while working as the kayak team Captain. That whole time, I was within a few feet of her - I could have reached out and touched her with my paddle. The reason for this, is that we kayakers deployed the electronic shark shields on the bow of our kayaks, and they needed to be in close proximity to her in order to be effective. One kayaker slightly in front, to her right, and one kayaker following her, slightly to her left.

Diana was also observed around the clock by two independent observers from the Open Water Swimming Association - Roger McVeigh, and Janet Hinkle.

At NO TIME DURING THE SWIM, did Diana EVER get support from her mothership (Voyager), her handlers, her medical team, her shark divers, her kayaks or kayakers. I have GoPro video footage from the camera that I wore on my head while kayaking just a few feet away from her. I got footage of water breaks, feeding breaks, medical breaks, the application of anti-jellyfish creams, and the donning of the ZERO FLOTATION suit and mask that Diana would put on 1 hour before sunset, and take off 1 hour after sunrise.

You can speculate all you want, but the fact is, Diana OWNS this incredible record, whether you want to accept the facts, or not. Rather than picking apart her performance, and trying your damnedest to find fault with her, as fellow swimmers, you should be CELEBRATING what she has accomplished. Quite honestly, if I was a fellow long distance swimmer, I would be embarrassed to read what fellow swimmers have been saying here.
    Thanks for your perspective @Woodkayaker, it is appreciated.

My only point to follow you would be that if, as you say, you were a fellow long distance swimmer, then you would appreciate the reasons for the questions, especially based on previous history regarding this swim, questions informed by the very significant cumulative experience of this group, a group which regularly celebrates swimmers and extraordinary new swims around the world.

If you are open to reasonable questions from the group, would you be willing to answer what you can?

loneswimmer.com

• Yes. I would be very happy to clear up any misconceptions, Loneswimmer. I am back at home now, taking a lunch break, then going back to work (life goes on!). I will check the forum later, and answer questions.
    Thanks you. My own position has already been outlined, so I feel it would be unfair for me to engage, however I will endeavour, (different time zone) to ensure the discussion stays reasonable.

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    Diana was also observed around the clock by two independent observers from the Open Water Swimming Association - Roger McVeigh, and Janet Hinkle.
    What is the Open Water Swimming Association? I've never heard of this organization.
    Thank you @Woodkayaker for commenting on this forum. That shows an openness that we all want in our sport.

But, I must say that some of the pictures on DN's very own blog seem to show her being touched by others and helped with putting on her jelly suit.

You must understand that some of us (many of us?) are, in fact, excited about what she apparently did. However, as with anything this extraordinary, we'd like some questions answered. The more members of her crew, like you (thanks again), who come forward with observations, video, photos, showing that she actually did this, the better.

With respect to the observers, do you mean the WOWSA? Or is there another organization out there (that I can't find) named the Open Water Swimming Association?
    I can't find anything on WOWSA's site about Hinkle or McVeigh.

edited September 2013
    (I was still going to spend a day or so finishing this list, but with the addition of @WoodKayaker to this thread, I thought I'd do this now.)

In the spirit of the title of this thread, here are my...

Questions for DN:

Rules:
    What rules did you come up with for this swim?
    Were the rules published? If so, where?
    Did the observers have a chance to review and comment on the rules?

Observers:
    Who were the observers?
    What are their qualifications for observing an ocean swim?
    Did you put any limits on their observation reports?
    Will their reports be made public?
    What makes them “independent”?
    Did they have unobstructed view of you during the entire swim?

Touching:
    Did you discuss touching in your rules prior to the swim?
    Did you touch any person or object from entering the water off Cuba to arriving in Key West?
    Did any person touch you during the swim?
    If so, who? How many times? For what reason(s)?

Nutrition:
    What was your feeding plan for the swim?
    How did you deviate?
    How much did you take in during the 53 hours?

Costume:
    What were your rules with respect to swimming costume for the swim?
    Was this known to the observers and your crew prior to the start of your swim?
    Did you change costume at any point during the swim?
    If so, how did you change costume? Did you receive assistance? Did you leave the water?

The Swim:
    How many hours did you swim unassisted (not being touched or touching any person or object, not leaving the water)? What distance did you cover during that time?
    Who on the support craft had ultimate authority to stop the swim?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2013
    You can speculate all you want, but the fact is, Diana OWNS this incredible record, whether you want to accept the facts, or not.
    What is the record that is being claimed? I've seen it reported that Diana broke Penny Palfrey's Cayman Islands record for longest-distance solo, unassisted, open ocean swim... but I'm not sure how these two swims are comparable, as one is current-assisted and the other is not.
  • Woodkayaker, I think that most issues would be addressed by Diana letting everyone know what set of rules were upheld during the completion of this epic event. The lack of information and alleged secrecy over what was allowed, not allowed and actually happened has most people at odds over how she completed the swim, calling in to question the very validity of what would be a monumental occasion otherwise. It is obvious that this will go down in history as an "assisted" swim...but now that it has been accomplished, others will try to follow in Diana's footsteps and best her record. Those people need to know what the rules of engagement are.
  • Ask these questions of Steven Munantones, Roger McVeigh, or Janet Hinkle. Or, if you have the connections, talk to Diana yourself.
    http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/
    There really are a lot of sour grapes in this group.
    Was @Munatones on this trip? I know he was on the last one. How do we get copies of McVeigh's and Hinkle's observer reports?

Not sour grapes. I know my limits! I'm happy with doing a 10-mile swim, trust me! Transparency would be appreciated, is all.

This discussion has been closed.