Just wasted 5 minutes of my life on CNBC watching Ryan Lochte swim a 100 meters in the Hudson :-(

lakespraylakespray Senior Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
With a wetsuit no less. He was promoting Pizza delivery or something had a red pizza carrier on his back. But the lame talking heads on CNBC kept saying he swam the across the Hudson but apparently didn't watch there own video feed that showed him jumping off a boat about 100 meters off shore...

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    edited August 2013
    between Ryan Lochte and NBC, I don't think there's anything either of them could do that would make my expectations any lower.

It saddens me that Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps are the two most well known swimmers and the de facto ambassadors of the sport.
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    edited August 2013
    Speaking of Mr Phelps, does anyone know the story behind the Michael Phelps name and BREAKOWT, the MP Open Water Training program? I swam with one of the instructors (the instructor?) last week and, well, let's just say I'm curious about what their goal is. (Here's the SwimSwam article.)

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Niek said:

3 hours and they teach you:
    -Introductions and brief swimming history of each participant
    - An over-view of the specific event logistics and course
    - Anxieties and emergencies with open water
    -Open water swimming strategies (sighting, breathing)
    -Over-view of the 4 B’s of swimming
    -Stroke analysis of each participant
    -Maximizing your stroke for your body type
    -Training strategies to get you to race day
    -Questions and answers

And then unfortunately afterwards there are swimmers who believe they can swim in openwater because the now know everything. They believe it could be learned in 3 hours.

That's a lot to cover in three hours. I would think they'd need at least a day for that agenda, especially stroke analysis for "each participant."My coach will do a video analysis of my stroke--and it takes about 20-30 minutes. He films me from several angles, then shows me the video and suggests areas to improve. If they have 25 participants, no way are they going to get all that done in 3 hours!