Recommended Products

Comments

• @heart. I just take the wrist strap off and place the Garmin on the strap of my goggles using the wrist strap pins.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited June 2013
    Next, to go with @evmo's sexy night-swimming goggs.

Disposable chemical light sticks work and are sufficient but not visible from far away, and difficult to dispose of safely.

Adventure Lights Lazer Stik and Guardian are highly recommended for night swims and of course excellent for Channel swims. Visible up 1km away with an LED running off CR2032 or LR44 coin batteries, you can set either to flash or light continuously (make sure to buy the dual function ones). Waterproof and operated by simply twisting the light and available in a range of colours inc white (I use green as the colour least likely to be replicated by torches or other lights on boats). They have a range of other uses like walking dogs at night, helmets, bicycles etc. The Guardian will fit directly onto goggle straps. Batteries will easily outlast any night-long swim.

Guardian on Amazon.com.

Guardian on Amazon.co.UK.

I can't find the longer Lazer Stik on either Amazon UK or US right now.
    Jaimie

loneswimmer.com

• In love with my new Sable Water Optics. Great seal, excellent vision in open water and best of all, they do not fog!

http://www.sablewateroptics.com/goggles/rs101.php
    edited June 2013
    With northern hemisphere swim season now on, we'll all be following Trackers.

Many swimmers have their own individual SPOT trackers as the price has dropped a lot over the past few years. (Sandycove Island Swim Club bought one last year to share amongst club members and it was well-used). Can also be used of course for unusual pursuits like hiking or cycling.

SPOT is a satellite GPS tracking unit which allows others to follow your watery and other adventures and has probably done more to open up marathon swimming to a wider audience than anything else. While most EC boats now have them as standard since 2012, not all have and a backup is useful. Battery usage is very good, & they obviously must have a line of sight to the satellite. Each SPOT also requires a yearly service plan.
    Cost are around $100 or £100 depending on which side of the pond you live on.

We get screwed on price on everything over here. Except butter. Butter is better, and cheaper over here. Take that America.

2CodFsd.jpg

A basic service plan for tracking progress is $49.99 per year.

transparent_spot2.png

- Amazon UK link.

- Amazon.com link.

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited June 2013
    We get screwed on price on everything over here. Except butter. Butter is better, and cheaper over here. Take that America.
    My wife agrees Donal. She only buys Irish butter here from Whole Paycheck Foods.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Since the link is for the SPOT tracker, I guess I should have made the picture of the butter smaller? Unless I can find a referral link for Irish butter... ;)

loneswimmer.com

I've discovered the Garmin 310xt is not too good at measuring distance in my outdoor pool.

The pool I swim in, depending upon which lifeguard you ask, is anywhere from 30m to 35 yards long. I ranger-walked the length and came up with 115 feet. I used the measurement tool at Google Maps and came up with 31.5m.

So I grabbed my Garmin and walked one length. The Garmin told me I had walked 6 meters. Not so good. So I tucked it under my cap, just as I do when swimming in the lake, and did 10 laps. So the result should have been in the range of 600m.

Mr Garmin said I had swum 90 meters. Interesting.

• Similar problems here @IronMike in the open water it can be even more random.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Garmin GPS units (or any civilian GPS transponders) aren't really designed for measuring laps in a pool. They aren't accurate enough.

Similar discussion here:
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?19484-GPS-Watches&p=252670&viewfull=1#post252670
  • I'm really liking the 910xt- the GPS works great for OW and the internal accelerometer works great for the pool- both have been dead-on so far for me.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2013
    mongoose wrote:
    where can I find good but inexpensive nose clips online? Might be cheaper than buying at my local sports shop
    Sporti Nose Clip url="http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?Click=1265121&ProductCode=22383"]Buy on SwimOutlet[/url

22383-2T.jpg

Also see here:
    http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/338/nose-clips/
  • Dumb question about the SPOT tracker... do you keep one on the boat with you during the swim? Can you wear it in the water? I was looking at the Finis Hydro Tracker until I realized that that one couldn't auto-transmit, but you had to dock it. Also have a Garmin 910xt but have had problems with the buttons falling off!
    @Leadhyena, Yes the SPOT goes on the boat. Please note, they are not waterproof and don't float. (As we confirmed when losing one off the back a pilot boat two weeks ago).

loneswimmer.com

• @loneswimmer: Thanks for the heads up... as far as on-swimmer recording, I take it the 910xt is still state of the art then? maybe I can get lucky and get one with the buttons that don't fall off.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2013
    The only reason to get a SPOT is for its "transmit" function, so the world can see your tracks as you're swimming. If you just want to record your tracks for later, the SPOT is overkill because of the required subscription service.

I would avoid the FINIS HydroTracker because FINIS makes notoriously unreliable electronics.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2013
    For just plain-old track recording, I use my Garmin Fenix hiking watch, which I detach from its straps and place under my swim cap. It's waterproof, so no need for extra protection. I like that it's a bit lower-profile than the Garmin tri watches, so I don't look like a Conehead.

2V5ki6Q.jpg

(Note: The Fenix is also probably overkill for swimming, unless you also use it for hiking, as I do.)

- Buy: Amazon.com | Amazon UK
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    edited July 2013
    I've not tried it, but the forerunner 10 is also waterproof and pretty cheap so might be an option.

GMFR10-BD-1.jpg

- Buy on Amazon.com | Amazon UK

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2013
    dc_in_sf wrote:
    I've not tried it, but the forerunner 10 is also waterproof and pretty cheap so might be an option.
    Doesn't look like the straps detach, though...

Whoops, apparently the straps are removable after all:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by-accesories/lanyards-straps-holsters-and-clips/forerunner-10-bands/prod117569.html
  • PmbPmb Member
    I have just been swimming twice in water filled with Lion's Mane jellies, see video (not mine) here:

The first time was without any protection, and the second time I was covered with Safe Sea, http://www.getsafesea.com/product-details.php?code=SS0030

Both times I (obviously) got burned and I chickened out after less than 600 m, but the main point was that I could not feel any difference with and without Safe Sea :(
    That's the best Lion's Mane video I've seen, I'll cross post to the video thread!

loneswimmer.com

• mysterybobmysterybob North Hampton, NHMember
    Props to Elaine for recommending the Contigo Grace 24oz, water bottle. Good for both cold and warm liquids, the bottle has a push button auto-seal mechanism that requires little pressure. It also has a hard loop built into the plastic lid, perfect to attach a rope, or carabiner. The auto-seal port provides good gravity feed liquid flow with one hand, no squeezing, or sucking required.

http://www.gocontigo.com/24oz-autoseal-grace-water-bottle.html

One note, I have not been into the 'claw' phase with this bottle just yet.
  • My favorite product is Carbo Pro. Unlike maxim it doesn't build up in the gut causing that bloated feeling. It's easily digested and again unlike others you don't need to acclimate. I also love sphere and Zoggs goggles very comfy over the hours.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    doversoul wrote:
    My favorite product is Carbo Pro. Unlike maxim it doesn't build up in the gut causing that bloated feeling.
    FYI, Carbo Pro and Maxim are identical substances. Pure maltodextrin, no additives.
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited March 2014
    Are either Twinlab Ultra-Fuel (powder) or Gatorlode still being made? The last time I bought either was in 2008.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    swimmer25k wrote:
    Are either Twinlab Ultra-Fuel (powder) or Gatorlode still being made? The last time I bought either was in 2008.
    - Twinlab Ultra-Fuel on Amazon

Gatorlode appears to be defunct...
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    edited March 2014
    evmo wrote:
    FYI, Carbo Pro and Maxim are identical substances. Pure maltodextrin, no additives.
    Not necessarily. Maltodextrin can have a variable # of glucose molecules in the chain and still be called maltodextrin. (If I remember right, the range is something like 10-30 glucose molecules.) They can have different properties based on the chain length. e.g. a shorter chain will dissolve more readily.

I'm just sayin'...

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2014
    Not necessarily. Maltodextrin can have a variable # of glucose molecules in the chain and still be called maltodextrin. (If I remember right, the range is something like 10-30 glucose molecules.) They can have different properties based on the chain length. e.g. a shorter chain will dissolve more readily.

I'm just sayin'...
    You are correct that not all maltodextrins are identical, but in the specific case of Carbo Pro and Maxim, they are identical. They both use QD (quick-dissolving) M500 maltodextrin, with a dextrose equivalence of 9-12.

Just sayin...
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited March 2014
    For chafing, I'm a big fan of Sportslick. Kind of like Body Glide, but comes in a big tube rather than a deodorant-style applicator. It can go on in a thick layer and has stayed on me longer than anything I've ever used. On the flip-side, it's a challenge to get off. Hotel towels are the recommended method of removal.
    1470828-origpic-3a902e.jpg
    - Buy on Amazon
  • swimchica623swimchica623 Member
    edited March 2014
    imageI really like Bag Balm for chafing. It is essentially vasoline with a little lanolin, but not as heavy on the lanolin as the typical stuff you could get made up for you. It is really good for 4-10 mile training swims because it is not as smelly but still offers more protection than vasoline. I have been using it for ages because my dad is a potter up north, so his hands get really dry, and it was always around our house growing up. When I came to Florida to swim in the extra salty water, I noticed immediatly that it caused chaffing more than Maryland water....like after 2 miles when I could go 4-5 miles with no problem up north!
    Another plus is that it is medicated to treat scrapes and broken skin, so it is good to apply on broken skin before/after swimming as well.

- Buy on Amazon
    JSwim
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    edited March 2014
    swimmer25k wrote:
    Hotel towels are the recommended method of removal.
    :))

Secret tip for removing gunky substances: Use Goop - the stuff you use to clean your hands after working on your car. And then use hotel towels.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    edited March 2014
    I love Gatorade Prime before and during swims. It comes in 4oz (100 cal.) flexible plastic pouches, so it's easy to stash in your suit. I like transferring it to reusable GoToobs because it's easier to squirt into my mouth and the pull tab on the Prime package can be a problem when hands are cold.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• Cole_GCole_G PhiladelphiaMember
    edited April 2014
    As far as goggles go I am going to have to throw in my 2 cents agreeing that Swedes are the best. They are comfortable, cheap, and available in every color you could want. Plus, they are super durable, I have had my current pair for 5 years and the only issue I have had is with the strap breaking. The lenses are still in near perfect shape (with just a few scratches here and there). I have just started using the Sporti knockoffs as well and have noticed no difference when compared with the performance of the originals.

Also as a fledgling distance swimmer (I wouldn't dare call myself a marathon swimmer yet with my short race resume) I have found the SportCount Chrono 100 to be a very helpful tool.

4026-4T.jpg

As I am transitioning from the comparably shorter sets I did with my old team to the much longer sets I do now, I have found it to be very helpful for tracking my distance and pace. It's a much cheaper and more streamlined alternative to GPS watches that works great for pool swimming, or laps around a marked course in open water.

- Buy on SwimOutlet
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Just noticed a bunch of FINIS products are on clearance sale at SwimOutlet, including the great Agility Paddles discounted to $13.95.

Donal and I have reviewed the Agility paddles on our blogs HERE and HERE (respectively), and I consider them a near-essential pool toy.

41333-10804-T.jpg
  • New guy on the block here. More of a question seeking advice rather than commenting on existing products.

Been informed that the Freedom 7 battery (shark shield device) will not last 12 hours continuously. Our son is going to do the Molokai in October & coaches reckon (dependent on conditions) he will do it in under or around 12 hours. Looking to purchase at least one Freedom 7 unit for him on Saturday.

Has anyone got any feedback as to how long the batteries last & just as pertinent, the durability & fit for purpose of the product?
    OK, I've searched everywhere. What do you guys recommend for taking water temp? I want something that I can just drop into the lake that I'm proposing to swim in. So what do you guys use?

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    My foot
    Thanks @Niek. I did and I like the Orvis one, but was hoping for more possibilities.

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Just get one from a pool store. I've had a $2 one for ages and it's fine
    IronMikeJSwim
  • Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Watch
    Price: $129.99

I bought it as a cheap triathlon watch not a swimming watch... just as well. Main gripes, no instant average speed which is inconvenient, plus it frequently takes 2-3 minutes to find a sateillite which when you've warmed up is a bit of a pain. Overall I'd say its good for the price but simple - limited to time, distance, average speed per lap and overall and calories. That's what you get for $130 bucks and if you want something more then you have to spend more.

After a few months the strap broke! The Garmin dealer said it's a common problem, the glued join between the rubber strap and the plastic attachment point breaks. 'Garmin are well aware of the issue'. He showed me 30 replacement straps ready for clients so add US$30 to your purchase price calculation for a replacement strap. On reflection, buy a better quality watch.
  • NeilEugeneNeilEugene Member
    edited June 2014
    @nvr2late - glad they are catching on in the community! Those water bottles are tried and tested. Back in the day, you used to get the smaller ones with the flip caps, but now they all come with straw-type sipping caps. The larger ones still come with the flip caps which are easy to open for swimmers with cold fingers. Basically, you have to do a little switcheroo before checking them out at CVS stores - they fit on each other. Keep spreading the word :-)!!

For those too far away from a local CVS pharmacy, you can Google Rubbermaid water bottles ... even Amazon might have 'em.
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    Love this thread and used several suggestions for Key West last weekend, thanks all. Sportslick worked well, but could've used a bit more in 2 places. I've also been training with and used the UCan for feedings and it worked perfectly. And finally, I just hated the idea of using zinc oxide all over the body and ordered the SolRX 44 waterproof. My kayaker was a little po'd at me for not doing the zinc like she thought I should, but I ignored her. The SolRX was much lighter and still did the trick for the race without the white, pasty mix. Great thread.
  • marlinmarlin Member
    Does anyone know the difference between Tyr's Durafast or Durafast Elite products?

From what I can tell Durafast (an earlier incarnation that they still use) is polyester only whereas Durafast Elite has some % of spandex which provides a tighter fit?
    I cannot find any explanation via Tyr's site or elsewhere.

Thanks...
    Anyone ever use one of those "stationary swimmer" belts? The kind where you connect the end to the ladder or the lane line, and then you can swim in place?

I may be left with only a very small pool to swim in soon. Would be very interested in any recommendations you guys have.

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    IronMike wrote:
    Anyone ever use one of those "stationary swimmer" belts? The kind where you connect the end to the ladder or the lane line, and then you can swim in place?

I may be left with only a very small pool to swim in soon. Would be very interested in any recommendations you guys have.

Fast Eddie, a South Ender who is also an airline pilot used one while training for his successful EC crossing. Not sure of the brand/model though.

IronMike

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

Does anyone have a recommendation for an acceptable budget 2-way VHF or UHF radio set? Budget is €100 max. (UK & Ire obv.) for swim organisation/safety? I don't know anything about them, so I'm guessing criteria such as range and water resistance (since they would be used on kayak or boat).

Should I get a decent 2 piece set and hope to extend the set in future to more units (I assume they all share channels), or would it be possible to get a three (or four) unit set for the budget? Are budget units a waste of money? Do I get VHF or UHF or mixed?

This is the first 2 unit set I looked at on AmazonUK which maxes the budget, and seems to have decent reviews.

loneswimmer.com

• BrendanBrendan Portland, ORMember
    Ive had the Suuntos Ambit2 S for about two months and I can say with complete honesty that I don't think ill ever buy another sport watch again. Its as close to perfect as I can imagine. The build quality is great, its decent enough looking that I don't feel ridiculous wearing it outside of the pool, and the app market is incredible.

As for it usage, its accurate for counting laps in a pool using whatever accelerometer it has. I usually lose or gain 25 meters over the course of a 10k which is well within what i consider acceptable(and pretty easy to figure out). The GPS is pretty great and will automatically update Strava which is what was using to track my work outs. The battery life is 8 hours using the GPS at its most accurate(recording every second) which isn't ideal for some of the swims many of you go on, but luckily its adjustable.

It saves your workouts and will allow you to scroll through them and look at a hundreds of different metrics that you can choose from. Also the app maker is pretty straight forward and the market is completely free. You can download apps from how many beers worth of calories you have burned to when the sunset will be or using the barometer to tell if there is a storm coming. Its really quite incredible.

I wish i could think of something bad to say about this watch to give this review a bit more of a balanced feel, but other than it taking a bit of getting used to to swim with a watch, i have nothing negative to say. Im extremely happy with my purchase.
    I just came across this DIY custom earplug set on Amazon, having no idea it was a thing. Custom-moulded earplugs cost about €100 here in Ireland. This DIY option seems like a great alternative between cheap and effective but easily lost silicone and expensive custom ear plugs.

loneswimmer.com

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    @loneswimmer what are some of the benefits of earplugs? Do they inhibit hearing (listening for boat traffic or communicating with support people)? I seem to recall earplugs as helpful/necessary for cold water swimming, which I don't have much experience with.

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    @Spacemanspiff
    I need to wear earplugs for protection from ear infections. Both of my eardrums are perforated and I can get an infection in just minutes with unprotected ears. I have seen the DIY sets here in the US but I get the custom molds from my audiologist for $100 each. I have a wonderful, caring audiologist who will keep sending them back until they are perfect. She even worked with manufacturer to figure out a way to make them cover more of the lobe to keep water from coming in on flip turns. As bad as my ears are, it is money well spent.

I have no functional hearing in one ear and significant hearing loss in the other that requires an aid. They make waterproof hearing aids but then I would lose my protection. I don't hear well without plugs so when they are in I hear almost nothing. I prefer not hearing anything while swimming anyway. It is much more peaceful. It can be difficult at times communicating with a crew or kayaker on long swims but not a big issue if addressed ahead of time.

If you have made it this long without using plugs and the wonder drops "Ciprodex", consider yourself lucky.