Dry land training

SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
edited May 2013 in Beginner Questions
Just wondering if anybody on here has tried kettle bell workouts as part of their dry land regime?
Did you get any benefits from it?

What other strength and conditioning methods do distance swimmers use?

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

nooravalkonen

Comments

• Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    I've never used kettle bells, but I would think that one could easily get injured with them.

I do shoulder strengthening exercises with a therapeutic band a few times a week, like these: http://gymnasticsinjuries.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/shoulderexercises1.gif
    Keeps my shoulders relatively pain free, especially when I'm adding yardage or dropping times.

I also do some simple Yoga stretches most nights before going to bed, I feel they stretch my back and help me sleep. They're pretty easy. I've only been to a handful of classes over the years so I'm no expert. To be honest 8 of the 9 poses I do I learned on Nintendo's Wii Fit game.

Here's the order:
    Palm Tree
    Sun Salutation
    Tree
    Triangle
    Warrior
    Downward Facing Dog
    Cobra
    Cat/Cow (not on Wii)
    Spinal Twist

It usually takes me about 10 minutes.
    Copelj26
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I used to lift more, and when I did, I used the Swimming Anatomy and Core Performance books to find the exercises to do for the muscles I need work on. Mostly core stuff.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• AzotterAzotter Member
    I do a lot of Crossfit and we use kettlebells frequently. KBs work your core and hips mostly. I have never had any shoulder injuries with them, or dropped it on my noggin! I suspect if you did not hold it correctly then you could injure yourself. :)
    nooravalkonen
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    Kettle bell classes are now free to anyone taking a yearly subscription to our local pool so I decided to give it a go. Nobody else showed up to the class that I attended so I ended up with 1 to 1 tuition and after 30 minutes I was in bits. A real eye opener in terms of how poor my strength and conditioning is, it would be fair to say that stairs were agony for the first two days. I think I will keep up this class for now, and see does my swimming benefit.
    dpm50

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• gnome4766gnome4766 Member
    edited June 2013
    Let us know SuirThing. I'd be interested with the results.
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    edited December 2017

I'm bumping this discussion up as I've recently been on a "Prehab" training workshop which aims to mobilise a simple dry land training regimen to increase thoracic flexibility and shoulder stability. The aim is to correct the imbalances caused by training / everyday life, which should forestall injury, which in turn should facilitate consistent training. A month in, and I'm a complete convert. I spend about 30 mins a day on the exercises (which I know is not time that everyone has), and the difference has been remarkable. I've written about it on my blog (http://thelongswim.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/prehab.html) and am happy to share more about this if anyone's interested. I'd also be keen to know what other people have found useful in dry land training - and particularly those swimmers on the site who have done multiple very long swims without falling foul of injury.

IronMikedpm50nooravalkonen
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I'm doing TRX on my coach's recommendation-- only once a week now, and a yoga class (more for stretching bu has some strength components like core work and plank).

Goal is to add another strength training session per week. Looking into body pump, but open to suggestions.

Good thread.... @KarenT, your program sounds good. I had PT earlier this year for partial rotator cuff tear, so I'm always keeping on the lookout in case symptoms reappear. If I notice any twinges, I back off.

KarenT
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member

This time of year, I see a PT to review the previous season and themes of injury. Then we create a pre-Hab routine for the upcoming year. I’ve worked through neck, chest, and lower back issues. This year we are working on an impingement at C5, affecting my right shoulder. I am a firm believer in dryland work and engage in a daily 30 minute routine.

KarenT
  • jasonsibertjasonsibert EdwardsvilleMember

I'm training to swim a mini-marathon and am going to add dry land training in a few weeks. I think I'll be doing dry land two times a week. Does anyone have quality information on how to do dry land training for a distance swimmer? I'm going to be lifting weights some.

• PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember

I am considering to include dry training regularly in my workout, especially at this stage of the season. From time to time I use to do body weight training, push-up, pull-up, planks, and so on mainly to work on my core. Now doing some search I am learning that the number of repetition and the intensity of the effort are a crucial factor. Few repetition, lets say about 6 or less with a high intensity (you should not be able to do the 7th) are very good to develop strength without increasing your muscles volume. That should be optimal to improve the speed without developing large muscles that can compromise flexibility and cause more drag.. On the other hand, for long distances marathon swim I would think that one would like to build more resistance to reduce fatigue and this is usually done with more repetition and less intensity/weight but that is also known to augment your muscles volume (ie. hypertrophy). I am always scared to increase my volume. I think I have enough and more will probably slow me down and cause more drag and I also don't want to look like a bodybuilder...

So I would like to know more about this topic, what kind of workout you think is the best for long distance (and by long distance I mean 10K to 20K max which is now the distances I am doing or aim to) ? Does someone here has seen some improvement in terms of speed and resistance with dry-training, and if so what kind of exercise you suggest?

• nooravalkonennooravalkonen FinlandNew Member
    edited January 2020

Such a good topic! And something I’ve struggled with myself.

When I lifted the most, gained mass and strength I also won my masters nationals medal.

I think strength training is very beneficial for all athletes. It makes your body more resilient, balanced, stronger and less prone to injuries.

How much you should do it depends. Like if you are closer to a race etc. Periodization is one good idea.

I believe it’s also good to keep the weights heavy enough - around 6-8 or 8-10 reps.

These days I mix and match. Love doing stuff with single arm and leg and keep it simple and functional. Like deadlifts, push pressess, chin-ups/pull-downs, lunges and lot’s of core. I also do mobility flows and yoga poses.

Before swimming I always use a strech cord/band and occasionally do yoga poses and mobility too.

SoloPasquale
  • PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember

Hi @nooravalkonen Thanks for your answer, may I ask you what distance you were racing when you won the medals?

nooravalkonen
  • nooravalkonennooravalkonen FinlandNew Member

@Pasquale said:
    Hi @nooravalkonen Thanks for your answer, may I ask you what distance you were racing when you won the medals?

Hi! I did the 800 free and 100 breast. My avarage pace improved on both w/ the strength training. Obviously those are very short distances, but I still believe that dryland work is very useful. ☺️

Solo
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Wow, haven't commented on this thread in about 7 years...

Years ago I had issues with my lower back in "long" (for me) swims. I added weight lifting, the basics really: squat, overhead (military) press, deadlift. 3x a week during off season, 2x (or less) during swim season. No more problems with lower back. That's my dry land, unless you count walking with my wife, who's never gone on a walk shorter than 3 miles in her damn life...

PasqualeflystormsSoloMoCo

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

I have some connective tissue issues, which means that I'm always fighting shoulder niggles. Strength training has really helped me with that - I work with a local trainer (who has worked with my PT for ages) to make sure I'm doing things correctly, then I lift 2 - 3x week in my basement gym. I drop intensity and volume during big swim builds - but honestly my coach manages the details of that to save me from myself.

I'm also sloooooowly returning to (very slow) running, since I tend to feel best when I actually cross train.

IronMike
  • ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member
    edited January 2020

I remember a physio saying he's built a nice extension on his house thanks to injuries caused by kettle bells.

Strength training is good and very beneficial, but kettle bells may not be the safest way though. FWIW, I mainly use cable machines and pressups for strength training. No injuries.

Pasquale