Advice for Lower Back Issues

worthyadvisorworthyadvisor Chicago, ILMember
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
Hi all,

So, I swam the Tiburon Mile 3 years ago, and was planning to do other swims, but then I injured my lower back. *sigh* I'm finally at a place where I'm back in the pool (yay!) and I'm starting slow. I'm only doing about a half an hour, around 300-400 yds twice a week, since that seems all my back can handle right now (and I'm in grad school). I've been working on bettering my freestyle. It's only been a about 3 weeks, but I can already feel an improvement in my back (double yay!). I do know about the core exercises I can do out of the pool, but I was wondering if there are other things I could do in the pool that would also help?

Also, how does one, with an injury, get over the frustation of not being able to swim the same yardage that you were able to?

Thanks
Gina

I'm the Wiccan Christian that was profiled in USMS's Swimmer Magazine in 2017. Soon, I'll be moving to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, I pray to St. Adjutor, the patron saint of open water swimmers.

Tagged:

Comments

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Gina,

My heart goes out to you... I had a serious herniated disc last year and could barely walk. The doctor recommended swimming; I don't know if he understood how much I swam. :)

I would recommend staying away from short-axis strokes for a while and focusing on freestyle and backstroke. Staying streamlined really helps. And out of the pool, try to sit less and stand and walk more, if that makes sense with the injury you have.

The frustration is there and there's not much that can be done. Perhaps picking up something new to do until your back improves? Something like writing short stories or crocheting or baking?
  • worthyadvisorworthyadvisor Chicago, ILMember
    hi heart,
    My heart goes out to you... I had a serious herniated disc last year and could barely walk. The doctor recommended swimming; I don't know if he understood how much I swam.

Yeah, I have a bulge in one of my discs from the injury that got me out of swimming and sciatica from a different injury. The sciatica wasn't too bad and manageable, but once I bulged the disc, well....not as bad as seriously herniating it, but bad enough! Ugh!
    I would recommend staying away from short-axis strokes for a while and focusing on freestyle and backstroke. Staying streamlined really helps. And out of the pool, try to sit less and stand and walk more, if that makes sense with the injury you have.

Ah ha! My instincts were right! :) That, and the fact that doing breast stroke is all kinds of Not Fun.

Walking, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be on my exercise list (sciatica), but I am focusing on freestyle and improving that stroke.
    The frustration is there and there's not much that can be done. Perhaps picking up something new to do until your back improves? Something like writing short stories or crocheting or baking?

LOLz...I ended up going to seminary...and crocheting...in the couples of years since my injury. It does, indeed, keep the frustration monster at bay when I can't swim. ;) But I suppose now, when I'm trying to work on getting my back more in shape, I need to just mentally push past the frustration when I'm in the pool, yeah?

I'm the Wiccan Christian that was profiled in USMS's Swimmer Magazine in 2017. Soon, I'll be moving to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, I pray to St. Adjutor, the patron saint of open water swimmers.

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    The frustration monster is an old frenemy of mine. :) Remember, long-axis strokes are a disc's best friends.

How about including some play in the shorter workouts? Like a long-axis combo, or like swimming backstroke while balancing a water bottle on your forehead?
  • worthyadvisorworthyadvisor Chicago, ILMember
    The frustration monster is an old frenemy of mine. Remember, long-axis strokes are a disc's best friends.

I will remember, especially since I'm heading to the pool at some point today.
    How about including some play in the shorter workouts? Like a long-axis combo, or like swimming backstroke while balancing a water bottle on your forehead?

oooh....good idea! thanks!