Triple Crown of the "Impossible"

Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Like I said in the other post, I had lots of time yesterday while being yardwork-waterboarded to think.

It occured to me that there must be three swims that are so difficult, albeit doable, that each one would, of itself, be extraordinary. Anyone able to complete all three (channel rules) would be in a class by themselves. Here are my three suggestions:

1) North Channel - Obviously this is doable since a small number of people have done it. However, this certainly meets the extraorinary criteria. This is the "easy" (ha ha) swim of the three. Issues: Cold, jellyfish, currents, weather, rough.

2) Farrallons - Only done twice, although a few people have knocked on the door lately and that number is sure to increase slightly sometime in the near future. This is one of those swims that makes me break out into a cold sweat when I think about it. Issues: Cold, distance, weather, rough, men in grey suits.

3) To my knowledge this next one has not only never been done, but it has never even been mentioned by anyone. So you are hearing it here first: Tristan da Cunha to Nightingale Island - About 20 km from the most remote inhabited island (pop 275) in the world to it's nearest uninhabited island. (There is another island about 20 km away and another about 35 km away, but I believe they are wildlife preserves, so landing there might not be allowed.) Issues: This is the dark side of the moon - not even a guess as to what you would be up against, fairly difficult to get to, nearly impossible logistics (?).

I did not mention Cuba-Florida as it has yet to be done under "channel" rules, although I strongly suspect that with a bit of luck on currents and jellies, Penny Palfrey, et al could do it. Still...

Sea of Cortez might be a (very) worthy substitute in the near future, if/when that gets done.

The appeal of having a warm water swim to replace one of these colder swims is very strong in my mind.

Any other suggestions?

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2013
    San Nicolas Island, the remotest of the California Channel Islands, and once home to the lady from Island of the Blue Dolphins.

http://santabarbarachannelswim.org/islands/sannicolas.html

61 statute miles to the mainland, by the shortest route. Never attempted by any route. Logistically difficult due to it being a US Navy weapons testing facility.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    @Niek - No real reason as to only saltwater - they just happened to be the ones that I thought of as constituting "impossible." I do really like Lake Titicaca as a candidate and hadn't even thought of it.

@Evmo - OK, that is certainly a worthy candidate. I assume that you feel that it is "doable" at some level even if it hasn't been done - getting strafed aside. I'd say "no" if the Farallons swim was kept on the list if only not to have 2 so close together.

Still looking for a warmer water suggestion, however, since I think that would give some balance and not just favor cold water swimmers.

-LBJ

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Still looking for a warmer water suggestion, however, since I think that would give some balance and not just favor cold water swimmers.
    Kaieiewaho Channel between Oahu & Kauai. 72 miles. Done once by a 6-person relay. Attempted twice by @PennyPalfrey but aborted both times to debilitating jellies.

Perhaps it would be better, though, to focus on more "doable" distances in the 20-40 mile range (at least, doable by more people), where the great challenge derives mostly from conditions or psychological factors. In that case, I'd certainly endorse the Farallones & North Channel. As for the third... what about False Bay?
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    @evmo....Are you throwing your hat in the ring for any one of those you have mentioned...inquiring shark minds may want to know!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Could we make this a "40 under 40" type list? 40 "impossible" swims under 40km. It would make it much more about the conditions than about the distance.

The English Channel was once on this list. How fun would it be to see a few other get knocked off?
    MvG

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• MandaiMandai Charter Member
    You want "warm"...here it is LBJ...Since moving to Dubai I've been searching for suitable long distance swims and one that got my attention was the Strait of Hormuz. Warm it is (breaking FINA temp rules has become my new normal here). 39km. I don't know if it has ever been swum. I don't if you'll ever get a permit to do that ...
    MvG
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    Mandai wrote:
    Strait of Hormuz

With all of the political aspects a swim like that could have, it's not hard to imagine that getting major international media coverage

Let me restate my original criteria and elaborate a bit. The original thought:

It occured to me that there must be three swims that are so difficult, albeit doable, that each one would, of itself, be extraordinary.

Further thoughts:
    1) I mostly was thinking along the lines of 3 swims that have a "holy #@*$%" reaction from other swimmers when they hear that someone has done one of the swims. I think that means that a given swim must have a certain recognition factor, at least within the swimming community. This would rule out some of the swims proposed that are little known or unknown. Admittedly, my third recommendation would fall into that category, but I hoped to spark some interest in what would be a very rare endevour.

2) The swim must either have been done, albeit rarely, or be at least theoretically doable. It would be too easy to say "Swim from New York to Florida", but that is vaccuous. Likewise, it isn't just about distance or cold or whatever - any combo of factors can apply as long as it has the "holy @*&;$%" factor.

3) I want 3 swims. The idea of, say, a list of 40 swims as mentioned is certainly a great idea (and SHOULD be done as it would be a great service to the community), but I am looking for 3 that when put together will set a person apart and make them a member of a very small group.

4) A warm water swim isn't necessary, per se, but it strikes me that being able to master that kind of temperature range is additionally impressive. That said, Mandai's suggestion that we boil the person alive might be tempting, but only if we don't like them much. Let's set the upper limit as FINA's (ill-advised) 31 C. (Tobias - You need to move from Dubai before you denature the proteins in your brain with water that hot!)

5) The three swims should have a "reasonably wide" geographic dispersal. See my comment to @Evmo about Farallones and the CA channel swim.

6) @Evmo - tell me about False Bay - I am having senior moment on the details.

-LBJ
    MvG

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @Evmo - tell me about False Bay - I am having senior moment on the details.
    35km in a notoriously sharky part of South Africa. Don't know much about the conditions. Five solo successes, most recently @Ned Denison:

http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/324/false-bay-attempt-this-christmas

Speaking of bay crossings, Monterey Bay might be a good candidate, if perhaps too geographically close to the Farallones. Still just one solo success, Cindy Cleveland in 1980.
  • Lake Michigan is my chosen "extraordinary" swim. Chicago to Saint Joseph, MI., roughly 100k.
    josbourne
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    @evmo I was just thinking Monterey Bay, Farallones and a San Nicolas swim would make for a pretty serious CA madman challenge... 2 corners of the red triangle and a navy bombing range, that's pretty legit!
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Two fins up!!! @AquaRob....and @evmo this is it!!! better consult with trouble though,,,

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    edited August 2013
    I see a common theme based on the fact that it is currently "Shark Week" here in the US....how about a swim situated in Lake Nicaragua?!?! Fresh water lake where Bull Sharks jump up the rapids from the Caribbean Sea and populate the lake...it does have a spectacular pair of volcanoes on islands in the middle!
    2001-12-01Cichon_LakeNicaragua.jpg
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    Round the Isle of Wight.

It's possible as it's been done 3 times, but it's a monster of a swim.00 http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Isle_of_Wight_Circumnavigation_-_Solo
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Hanging out there, undone, is the Irish Sea. It's about 50 miles though for the best line. Unfortunate external events stopped the first attempt on it last year by a forum member. Lion's Manes, weather and cold water, but not as severe currents as the North Channel.
    MvG

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2013
    stevenc616 wrote:
    Lake Michigan is my chosen "extraordinary" swim. Chicago to Saint Joseph, MI., roughly 100k.
    An extraordinary swim indeed.

Out of curiosity, why that particular route? A nod to the famous Ted Erikson / Abou-Heif duel in 1963? That's the funny thing about lake swims - there's always a shorter route across.
  • stevenc616 wrote:
    Lake Michigan is my chosen "extraordinary" swim. Chicago to Saint Joseph, MI., roughly 100k.

In Lake Michigan, the one I was hoping to do this summer is South Manitou Island to Leland. Sixteen miles. Beautiful area, familiar to many who live here in Michigan, but to the best of my knowledge no one has done it.

My upcoming move to the San Luis Obispo area kept me from it this summer, but some day. . .
  • Point well taken, Niek. This one isn't likely to be as difficult as any of the others listed. Still, the fact that no one has done it is interesting.
  • If the swims are soooo difficult, maybe only one or two swimmers may be capable of swimming them. The swims will seem too exclusive and risk losing interest.
    But if you link a few swims together in a theme: eg the big lakes : Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, Lough Neagh or the Channels as mentioned before: Catalina, North and English. And simply seek the quickest to swim all three (even non stop). I think it would generate much more excitement and would be practical. I guess one year, someone might swim all Oceans Seven swims inside a year. But why not three big swims in three days including travel time?
    MvG
    Haydn wrote:
    If the swims are soooo difficult, maybe only one or two swimmers may be capable of swimming them. The swims will seem too exclusive and risk losing interest.
    But if you link a few swims together in a theme: eg the big lakes : Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, Lough Neagh or the Channels as mentioned before: Catalina, North and English. And simply seek the quickest to swim all three (even non stop). I think it would generate much more excitement and would be practical. I guess one year, someone might swim all Oceans Seven swims inside a year. But why not three big swims in three days including travel time?

My original point was that I was looking for something that would be extremely exclusive by way of difficulty of each swim and completing all 3 would be something extraordinary. I am not overly concerned about it being "popular" or the time frame in which it might be accomplished.

Your idea has great merit and I think it is another triple crown of sorts, although I'm not sure what you would call it. (The Triple Crown of the Daft ???)

-LBJ
    Copelj26

• Look no further than Steve Redmonds swim on August 23rd. Ireland to Wales from Rosslaire to St Davids. It's only a one way, but same distance as an English Channel 3 way.
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Considering the success in North Channel crossings this year, I propose adding an unprecedented double crossing of the North Channel to this list.

Keep moving forward.

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    The Todd River in the dry season. A very hard swim, but boat crews are easily obtained.
    http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/
  • Bass Strait, Victoria to Tasmania, 97km.
    Done once by Tammy Van Wisse in 17hrs 46mins.
    1996 in the shark cage days. Possibly wetsuit as well but not sure. Her website seems to be gone.
    http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Tammy_van_Wisse
    I think the route is from Victoria to Flinders Island just north of mainland Tassie.
    White Pointers, rough, remote, coldish 14-18C.
    Hmmmm.... I guess now that Craig Lenning has both the Farrallons and the North Channel, which were two of my original suggestions, we need to pick a third, PDQ. I still like my original idea, Tristan da Cunha to Nightingale Island, but no one else really "bit" on that.

-LBJ

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2017

I thought I'd bump @Leonard_Jansen's idea, and maybe specify it a bit further...

Most of us know that the Oceans Seven are not the "toughest 7 swims" in the world, despite frequently being described that way in the media.

So what are, actually, the "toughest" (yet doable) swims in our sport?

And by "doable," perhaps we draw a line at minimum 5 total successful swims - which would include the Farallones, but exclude certain famous swims that have only been done once (by @pennypalfrey, @chloemccardeldotcom, @ssthomas, etc.), and swims that have never been done.

So far in this thread we have:

• North Channel (46 swims, I think?)
    • Farallones (5 swims)
    • False Bay, S. Africa (5 swims)

Other nominations?

MvG
  • Karl_KingeryKarl_Kingery Denver, COSenior Member

since all three so far are salt water, and since titicaca doesn't have five, I think Loch Ness deserves consideration. Cold water, challenging weather and lake monsters. Hard to beat.

evmosuziedodsjendutSologregocssthomasphodgeszohomiklcctMvG
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    edited May 2023

@Haydn said:
    [...] I guess one year, someone might swim all Oceans Seven swims inside a year. <

Engaging in a bit of forum archeology during a sleepless night and reading this old thread I realize that the stuff we thought was (bordering on the) impossible only ten years ago is now actually being done:

• Andy Donaldson is working on O7 within a year.
    • And the double North Channel, also proposed as impossible - done and dusted by Sara Thomas.

Exciting OWS times!

SwimmersuzLakeBagger
  • abeabe australiaMember

I think Foveaux strait in New Zealand makes Cook Strait look like a nice relaxing swim where Foveaux is 1000km south colder, rougher and bigger marine life

MvG
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

Bimini to the the mainland of Florida is still unfinished (IIRC).

• FlotsamFlotsam UKNew Member

@MvG said:

@Haydn said:
    [...] I guess one year, someone might swim all Oceans Seven swims inside a year. <

Engaging in a bit of forum archeology during a sleepless night and reading this old thread I realize that the stuff we thought was (bordering on the) impossible only ten years ago is now actually being done:

• Andy Donaldson is working on O7 within a year.
    • And the double North Channel, also proposed as impossible - done and dusted by Sara Thomas.

Exciting OWS times!

I was thinking exactly the same!

I propose that nobody will every be able to swim a 3 way North Channel. See you in 10 years!

MvG
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited May 2023

What will sey 3× North Chanel without goggles !!!
    More more hard and heavy!
    My opinion!

• KagemushaKagemusha Honolulu Member

Not quite at the 5 minimum, but consider Alenuihaha Channel
    (30 miles) Island of Hawaii to Maui

2011 Mike Spalding February, 2011
    2009 Linda Kaiser September 12, 2009
    2009 Penny Palfrey March 10, 2009
    1970 Harry Huffaker 1st Channel Crossing

Openh2oMvG