2023 Swim the Suck registration opens tomorrow - who's doing it?

sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember
edited April 2023 in Event Announcements

Registration for the 2023 Swim the Suck opens tomorrow at 12 noon ET. http://www.swimthesuck.org/register

I did this last year and had a blast, but I don't know anyone doing it this year, so I'm on the fence about whether to sign up again.

Are any of you planning to register? I need peer pressure to do it.

Tagged:

Comments

• smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

sarahcassidy

Keep moving forward.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I'm in! Who else is coming to the MSF Homecoming?!

sarahcassidy

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• hpyswmrhpyswmr San Francisco Bay - SERCMember

I would love to do this but I too don't know a single sole.

• sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember

@hpyswmr said:

I registered. If you sign up, you'll know me there! :)

edited April 2023

@sarahcassidy said:

@hpyswmr said:

I registered. If you sign up, you'll know me there! :)

Thank you @sarahcassidy! I did it! I click the orange button! I'm in for 2023!
    Woo Hoo.. Now I just have to maintain. This has been on my bucket list for awhile.

Any recommendation on places to stay? Or areas I should focus on trying to stay?

Plus can I just uber/lyft my way around or do I need a car?

kejoyce
    edited April 2023

Woohoo! I sent you a message. Last year was my first time at Swim the Suck. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Chattanooga and liked it but I don't think I saw other swimmers staying there? Downtown is great for walking instead of driving, and the pre-race dinner was there which made it convenient. I might try to stay downtown again but haven't decided yet. I'd like to know what hotel(s) other swimmers are staying at.

As for a car, it depends what airport you fly into. Chattanooga was SO expensive to fly into from Las Vegas so I ended up flying into Knoxville and splitting a rental car with another MSF swimmer. I just set up flight alerts for Chattanooga and nearby airports including Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, and Birmingham. Prices seem higher than they were last year so I'll wait to book.

A rental car would make getting to the race location easier since it's in the woods outside the city, and I have no idea how difficult it would be to get an Uber/Lyft out there on race morning so I hope others weigh in. I have wondered about getting a ride from other swimmers. If I fly into another city I'll rent a car and am more than happy to give rides so I can meet more MSF swimmers.

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

@hpyswmr said:

I'm going and so is Reptile!! So you do know more than a single soul.

IronMike

Yippee we have a San Francisco presence!!
    This is great!

@CathyInCA said:

@hpyswmr said:

@CathyInCA said:

@hpyswmr said:

@sarahcassidy any update on info on getting a Lyft to get a ride after the swim??

@hpyswmr said:
    @sarahcassidy any update on info on getting a Lyft to get a ride after the swim??

Not yet, but I'm looking at flights. Flights into the Chattanooga airport are expensive so I'm looking at Nashville, Atlanta, and Knoxville airports. I flew in and out of Knoxville airport last year. Another STS swimmer and I split a rental car last year, so it'd be great to do that again. But either way, I expect to rent a car and can give anyone a ride to/from STS.

Which airport are you flying into? Have you booked a hotel yet? Last year I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Chattanooga Downtown, which I liked and which had free parking, so I'm booked there again. STS has a discounted rate of $149 per night there if you use the code "STS": https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/chattanooga/chalk/hoteldetail.

STS has discounted rates at 2 other hotels, but they charge for parking: http://www.swimthesuck.org/hotel.

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

I'm not racing STS this year, but when I did it I flew into Atlanta and rented a car. We stayed in a small house outside of downtown (Airbnb or VRBO, I can't remember which) and it worked out really well, especially since it let me cook for myself.

sarahcassidy
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@sarahcassidy said:
    A rental car would make getting to the race location easier since it's in the woods outside the city, and I have no idea how difficult it would be to get an Uber/Lyft out there on race morning so I hope others weigh in. I have wondered about getting a ride from other swimmers. If I fly into another city I'll rent a car and am more than happy to give rides so I can meet more MSF swimmers.

I got an Uber one of the year's I swam this (2018? 2019?). Easy-peasy. And I've always gotten a ride back (after drinking the beers and eating all the food) from another swimmer or kayaker.

And as for getting Uber to get back, I did order an Uber one year, but then someone drove by and gave me a ride.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams