looking for a swimming life jacket

tommydogtommydog ScotlandNew Member

I currently live in a very remote location and do most of my training on my own in the sea. Unfortunately I don't have access to a harbour or other sheltered open water. As a safety precaution, I carry a waterproof telephone and would also like to explore the possibility of some sort of inflatable life jacket. There used to be a product on the market called The swim it, which was an inflatable life jacket that strapped to the swimmers leg. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available anymore. Does anyone know of any similar products that I can buy?

Comments

• Have you considered a tow float? There are many sources for them. Some also serve as drybags.

KatieBunswimfreeordie
  • You can buy airline inflatable life vests on line and marine suppliers also sell inflatable life vests.

• tommydogtommydog ScotlandNew Member

@Sara_Wolf said:
    Have you considered a tow float? There are many sources for them. Some also serve as drybags.

I have a tow float already. I want a life jacket that would inflate and go over my head.

I have seen that, but want a life jacket that would inflate and go over my head.

@swimfreeordie said:
    You can buy airline inflatable life vests on line and marine suppliers also sell inflatable life vests.

I have not seen any designed for swimming with. The swim it was designed for swimming with. Do you have any products that you can link to which may be suitable for swimming?

• JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

There’s one by SwimSafe that you strap onto your waist. Very similar to what @Cazzwim linked to. In their video they show how to put it behind your head and secure it.
    https://swimsafe.com/product/swimsafe/

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I've seen some relatively low profile inflatable vests used by paddle boarders. I wonder if that could be used like a swim buoy when it is deflated. You just tow it along behind you, maybe even have it on a small swim buoy. Then if you need it, you inflate it and it's a life vest.