Best Waterproof Sunscreen / Sunblock for Swimming?

13»

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I've used Desitin for years. It worked on all four of my babies' butts, it works for swimmers.

Interestingly, on all my organized Russian swims I'd slather myself with Desitin and some Russians would look at me weirdly. Some would ask if they could have a squirt and they put it on their skin around their wetsuits (they love wetsuits there). The few that did that came to me after thanking me. The few that asked what the stuff was looked stunned when I explained to them it was for baby butts. But a few of them at later comps would have their own tube!

JaimieBogdanZ

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

Just wanted to add my voice to the Desitin believers hsre 4 days/16 hrs at SCAR in the blazing Arizona sun, and not a hint of sunburn, which was a major fear of mine. Plus, the stuff is so much cheaper than sunscreen!

Kate_AlexanderIronMikessthomasLakeBaggerKari33
  • This is a great discussion and well worth having. But there is one critical element missing that none of you, and not to your fault have spoke about. How do these products affect Brown and Black skin?

I have to approach this from a totally different stand point as my skin can protect me against certain UV rays but not all of them. I've had to do some research, but for my Anacapa swim in September I plan on using Neutrogena Beach Defense Sunscreen SPF 70. I've had folks that I know who've used Desitin, but have not been satisfied with the results. I plan on ordering some and letting folks know what my experience is.

So if you have friends of color that swim "skins" in open water, and in particular are marathon swimmers, you might be able to pass on this information.

Again, thanks for posting this much needed discussion, I believe it is very important to have in our sport.

Keep swimming!
    Naji

evmoKari33SydneD
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    edited May 2019

Naji, I’m not being an ass, but curious, why would black or brown skin need something different? Y’all burn as well but does your skin burn differently? Again, I have no idea, sorry

IronMikeNajiswims
  • LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member
    edited May 2019

@MvG said:
    Just wanted to add my voice to the Desitin believers hsre 4 days/16 hrs at SCAR in the blazing Arizona sun, and not a hint of sunburn, which was a major fear of mine. Plus, the stuff is so much cheaper than sunscreen!

Yep--didn't see any sunburn on you, Milko!

For the record, I used Sol RX (after reading this thread) at SCAR this year and also got no sunburn. I've used desitin in the past (and it's worked well) but wanted to try something different this time. My main fear was that it would be a cold year at SCAR and I'd get desitin on my swimming parka which I've had since I was 12. If I was cold after a swim I didn't want to have to wait for someone to clean me off before slipping into my re-warming gear. It turned out to be a very warm year with no need for my parka or any warm gear at all, so I (and my 27 year old parka) would've been fine.

Anyhow, I put on a layer of sol RX when I woke up and then another just before the swims. I may have put an additional booster layer on my face while waiting for the pontoon boat to the staging areas. I live in Oregon and had pretty much no base tan to speak of so wasn't sure if it would work or not but was glad it did--Jess

flystormsKari33MvG
  • Kari33Kari33 PennsylvaniaNew Member

I used SolRx clear zinc at Lido Key last month and applied Desitin to my nose, shoulders, and back tattoos. I got some color with the SolRx, but no burn (and I’m fair). Nothing got through the Desitin. I may use that on my entire back next time.

There was ONE small sliver of skin I missed during application and that area got a bit fried!

LakeBagger
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

hi friends

desitin n00b bere - what's the approximate weight/volume of desitin required to protect an average-ish sized 6' human? i'm going to give it a go for MIMS (though... is it even ever sunny in seattle? ;) )

@kejoyce said:
    hi friends

desitin n00b bere - what's the approximate weight/volume of desitin required to protect an average-ish sized 6' human? i'm going to give it a go for MIMS (though... is it even ever sunny in seattle? ;) )

If you can see peach instead of white, keep covering.

Seriously, though, I've used it for a while, and in some swim I did (20 Bridges? StS last year?) I missed the sides of my legs. My back, neck, face, back of the legs, all good. Sunburned on the sides of my legs. Ugh.

BogdanZ

@IronMike Yeah I'm going to slather it, I just have no concept of how much volume I need to buy to make sure I have enough.

ssthomas
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

A regular sized tube will last for a few swims.

kejoyceIronMikeLakeBagger

Thanks @ssthomas !

IronMike
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

Hi! Do you mix desitin with lanoline and vaseline for better duration/ improved antichafing/ better effects on cold water?
    or desitin and maybe before aplying a small amount of sun protection would be enough?
    Thanks.

ssthomas

some people pre-mix their desitin and lanolin. i just apply the desitin and then put the lanolin in the spots I chafe.

BogdanZ
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind spending the extra for the SolRx in exchange for the lack of mess and smell. Also, Desitin makes my skin feel "choked." Just me though....I'm a creature of comfort. :)

@kejoyce said:
    @IronMike Yeah I'm going to slather it, I just have no concept of how much volume I need to buy to make sure I have enough.

Sorry Kelly, I've been out. Yeah, what Sarah said. I've used one small tube for 3-4 swims.

I only use desitin for swims over 6 hours, but I've burned through SolRX. I'd rather be safe than sorry, no matter how much I hate the mess and smell.

kejoyce
  • @flystorms said:
    Naji, I’m not being an ass, but curious, why would black or brown skin need something different? Y’all burn as well but does your skin burn differently? Again, I have no idea, sorry

Your not being an ass at all! I can only speak to Black skin, but here it goes. Yes we can have sections where our skin is darker than another portion, but for us, no matter how long we're in the Sun, there is no pain or associated peeling afterward. That's good right? Wrong! Over time we could develop melanoma skin cancer and not even be aware of it. Like any other form of cancer if it's caught early you can deal with it, but if let unchecked it can spread and lead to lungs, liver, brain, wherever. Thanks for asking the question, you can't offend me if you don't know the answer, so continue to ask away :-)

evmoLakeBaggerssthomasIronMikeflystormsSwimmersuzBogdanZSydneD
  • sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember
    edited August 2022

For shorter swims where Desitin would be overkill, what sunscreen are you all using? Any to avoid?

I'm experimenting with different brands. I normally have fair skin, but have turned very tan this summer despite my slathering efforts, and I'd really like the tanning to stop!

I looked at SolRx and P20 but they both seem hard to find.

Although I love Supergoop Play sunscreen for my kids and ordinary uses, it doesn't work well for my swims, so I'm trying out both mineral and chemical sunscreens. I'd love to hear recommendations so I don't waste any more money on sunscreen products that don't work. Thanks in advance!

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member
    edited August 2022

Copper tone Pure and Simple - it’s about 22% zinc, it’s easy to find, it stays on, it’s like ‘Desitin Light’.

sarahcassidy

Sol RX Sport SPF 50 has worked like a charm for me. They also make a clear zinc option. All the best.

Blue Lizard is another good one! I am a big P20 fan but yeah it is hard to get in the states.

sarahcassidy
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I've been really happy with Headhunter (mineral, reef safe). I usually put on a coat first thing in the morning, then re-coat before swimming. They also make a face stick that can be reapplied without getting it on the hands. I use the stick in areas that my suit tends to rub the sunblock off of and it stays on really well. I didn't get burned at SCAR or at all this summer.

sarahcassidy

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

Thank you! for the recommendations!

I bought Coppertone Pure & Simple 50 SPF and used it yesterday to swim the Castle Mountain 10K. Probably not the best timing to try out a new sunscreen. Does this sunscreen dry out skin? Because it seems to have left my skin really dry, but I need to try it on a few more swims to make sure.

I also bought ThinkSport Mineral SPF 50 and Sun Bum Mineral Lotion SPF 50 to try. Blue Lizard is next on my list. I've never heard of Headhunter so I'll look it up.

j9swim

my feelings are hurt..... :) :)

The Copertone works for me without issue but everyone’s skin is different. Keep trying different ones, I’m sure you’ll find something!

• simondosimondo New ZealandMember

HI, a question for SolRx users.
    I note that they have now removed the expiry date and now say use within x months of opening. Does anyone know how reliable is this? If I have a new bottle unopened after one year (bought for a long swim cancelled due to covid).
    I have had an issue before with the expiry date when I used this one month before expiry date and was burnt! Luckily its was only a 10km.
    Thanks.

edited September 2022

Back to report on Sun Bum Mineral SPF 50 and ThinkSport Mineral SPF 50.

The Sun Bum came in a small 3-ounce tube with 20% zinc oxide. It is so thick and difficult to apply that I used up half the tube on one swim. At $14.99 for one tube, that isn't sustainable. It definitely stayed on, so there's that. I would not buy this again.

The ThinkSport came in a 6-ounce tube with 20% zinc oxide, was much easier to apply than Sun Bum, and also had staying power. I liked it. I wish it had the same orange scent as its ThinkBaby counterpart, but it smelled fine. Next time I would buy the ThinkBaby instead of ThinkSport since they're both SPF 50 mineral sunscreens with 20% zinc oxide.

If I had to pick a favorite right now between the four SPF 50 mineral sunscreens I've tried so far (Bare Republic, Coppertone Pure & Simple, Sun Bum, and ThinkSport), my favorite would be the Coppertone Pure & Simple SPF 50. It has 24% zinc oxide. I like its watery consistency which was easy to apply, it comes in a 6-ounce bottle, it stayed on through a 10K swim at ~8,000 feet above sea level, didn't leave me with a sunburn, and the price was right.

Bare Republic also has a watery consistency and smells great, however I got a slight sunburn wearing it in the daytime during my Catalina Channel relay swim. It comes in a 5-ounce tube which has lasted me several swims, and I still have some left. Looking at the label, it has only 7.8% zinc oxide. Oops. I won't buy it again.

I want to try Blue Lizard next, otherwise I'll stick to Pure & Simple after I use up the other sunscreens. There are a couple of other brands I'd be interested in if they weren't so expensive, such as La Roche-Posay.

If I can find SolRx or P20 from a reputable seller, I'll try those too.

I have a hard time reaching the middle of my back to apply sunscreen, so I may try a mineral sunscreen spray to spray back there.

Product Links:

Bare Republic - https://www.target.com/p/bare-republic-mineral-sunscreen-vanilla-coco-lotion-spf-50-5-0-fl-oz/-/A-16576941

Coppertone Pure & Simple - https://www.coppertone.com/products/coppertone-pure-simple-lotion-spf50-0002401.html

Sun Bum - https://www.target.com/p/sun-bum-mineral-sunscreen-lotion-3-fl-oz/-/A-82389634

ThinkSport - https://www.target.com/p/thinksport-mineral-sunscreen-lotion-spf-50/-/A-85585635

j9swim

I WIN!!!! Eventually the slow girl in the slow lane wins, I have the best sunscreen recommendation or maybe because its because I'm out there for a long time...hahaha.
    The middle of the back issue @bresar - I ask random people if I don't have a friend with me but if that's not comfortable for you buy a mini paint roller, works just fine!

sarahcassidykejoyce
    edited September 2022

Haha, thank you for the Pure & Simple recommendation, @j9swim! I heard about the paint roller trick but then how do you store it afterward? Ziploc bag? And what about cleaning it?

I usually just bring a Speedo mesh swim bag with me to the pool/open water with cap, goggles, towel, sunscreen, earplugs, hair ties, and car key: https://us.speedo.com/ventilator-mesh-bag/13236382.html

Although I see Speedo now has a backpack version of the mesh bag so I may have to upgrade: https://us.speedo.com/deluxe-ventilator-mesh-bag/13236366.html

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Oh, I haven't heard about the paint roller trick. That sounds like a pretty good idea. I have a couple of questions.

What size roller? those little small ones or a 9" roller? What nap? For smooth surfaces or rougher. I'm not so young any more so my surface isn't all that smooth...

What kind of surface prep? Light sanding and then pressure wash or is there a better way.

ssthomas
  • simondosimondo New ZealandMember

One of our swim group uses a long wooden spoon.

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

A rubber spatula also works really well.

sarahcassidy