EC swimmers nearish Oxford, UK

Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of contemplating a solo EC swim.

Is there anyone who's done this in Oxfordshire or the surrounds who'd be kind enough to meet for a cuppa and be tapped for advice?

That said, if the current UK temperatures continue it'd need to be something very cold. On Sunday the air temp was 26degC (78fahrenheit), and so was the lake temp. It's 40degC (104fahrenheit) air temp today and I'm not even bothering to go for a swim!

Tagged:

Comments

• CazzwimCazzwim UK.New Member

If you get in touch with Dover Channel Training (https://www.doverchanneltraining.com/) have a buddy/mentor scheme and may be able to put you in touch with someone in the area. A few years ago I travelled to Dover to volunteer with the group to get a real Idea of what is involved with training for the challenge.

Should mention there is also a fabulous blog on the DCT website so you can get a grasp of what a seasons training looks like.

• propofrolicpropofrolic UKNew Member

That’s useful, thanks. I’d not heard of them before

@Flotsam you could also consider doing a channel relay with a charity such as Aspire. It's a great way to dip your toe in, get involved with the community and is well supported in terms of training and logistics. It'll also mean that you can be doing a relay next summer thus avoid the usual 2/3 years waiting list.

• FlotsamFlotsam UKNew Member

Good point Cazz. I hadn't really thought of that because my aim is solo. Best bit of that would be go meet people, ask lots of questions, etc

2025 for a solo tide seems like a long way off!

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited July 2022

@Flotsam said:
    Good point Cazz. I hadn't really thought of that because my aim is solo. Best bit of that would be go meet people, ask lots of questions, etc

2025 for a solo tide seems like a long way off!

I do bookings for a Channel pilot and I already have enough requests to fill all his spaces for 2025. I've just started to send out the diary so they can choose their slots. If you're seriously thinking about it, @Flotsam, it would be worth booking your pilot sooner rather than later. Better to have something definite to train for. If you change your mind about the solo, you can make it into a relay.

There's also an FB group, Channel Relay - Find a Team Member....so if you were to sort out a medical and qualifier for next season, there's a good chance you'd be able to get a place on a relay organised by somebody else.

Also consider the Durley Channel training group. Fabulous people. Great location. Straight down the A34 and along to Bournemouth. Marcus and his team will welcome you with open arms.

CazzwimOpenh2o
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited July 2022

2025 ?!?!?!?
    Is that year? 2025?!?
    That kill me!
    So so funny for me!
    My opinion but that is crazy for me!
    2025!)))
    Health and all the best!