Post Event Depression / Blues

ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

I just posted something similar to this on Facebook, in general terms, but some of the responses made me think that this might be a good discussion for this group, too.

I know that I'm not alone in this: Pretty frequently after a big swim or a big summer, I start to feel down, tired, don't want to swim, don't eat right, don't sleep, get irritable, and more. All of these things are signs of depression. I'm generally a happy/motivated/energetic person, so I don't always recognize what's going on at first and don't understand why, suddenly, the couch and TV are SO APPEALING, and pools, friends, and lakes aren't fun any more. After my English Channel swim, I was talking about how I was feeling with a friend and he said something like, "Oh, English Channel depression is a real thing. I've heard of lots of people dealing with it." So, since then, I've just always accepted that it was a likely occurrence and that I would just deal with it on my own terms. I've always come out of it with a new goal or challenge, but it's a bumpy ride. I no longer panic over it and worry about my life well-being, but it's still a hard thing to get past.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to share their experiences and some tips/suggestions for overcoming these icky feelings and moving forward. I know this is personal, but maybe sharing can help others experiencing this for the first time (or the 10th time) to get past it and know they aren't alone! I'm not meaning for this to be negative- but simply wanting to help anyone now or in the future who may find this as a struggle, too.

Tagged:
evmoSoloKellietimsrootJacqueJustSwimDanSimonellitortugadpm50TheSwimmingBricklotechnotechswimfreeordiePasqualeChloemiklcctCoach_HannahCazzwimLakeBagger

Comments

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

It's definitely not limited to swimming. It's very prevalent with my ironman friends (and spouse) - I think my husband took about 6 months off after his first IM and gained 25 lbs. I feel it's not just about letting the body recover, I think that the brain needs some time to focus on the rest of life. Many of the ironman triathletes I know who went from race to race to race (3 or 4 a year for a few years) ended up with massive burnout and a few of them walked away from the sport. Of course, a few of them walked right into ultrarunning and I think that's the need to always have something bigger on the horizon that I don't have.

For me (and my not-as-epic races/events), it isn't so much having something else on the calendar, it's taking an appropriate unstructured recovery block (which might mean sitting your ass on the couch until you feel like moving) to let my body and my brain recover from that big period of focus. And for me, I need to set a time limit on that block so that I can enjoy it guilt free, and then get back to regular workouts after. I have had to actually say to myself "you enjoy swimming, get your lazy ass to the pool and you'll feel BETTER". (And now I have a coach, so I've outsourced the thinking of all of that - I do what she tells me unless there's a damn good reason not to.)

SoloJustSwimtortugaPasquale
  • JacqueJacque M. (Germany)Member
    edited March 2017

Very important topic, thanks for bringing it up!
    I completely agree with @loneswimmer on this one.

Swimming is a (big) part of our life – but what does that mean? After taking up marathon swimming I realized one day, that I couldn’t really enjoy my achievements, because when taking up a big swim it was already reduced to be just a stepping stone for the next big swim after that. I guess that was my way of avoiding the post swim depression and later I discovered, that going from swim to swim was part of an over-active drive within myself that was also very present in other parts of my life. I was forced to address that when one year (2015) I trained long and hard and heavy – and could not start the big swim due to the bad weather in my slot. I broke down, completely. My coach and I took up mental work and he encouraged me to address all the important questions: Why do I swim? Why do I want to swim the big ones? What is that over-active drive within myself? And most importantly: Who am I – with and without swimming?

I answered them all, brutally honest and it changed me as a swimmer and a person. I did not lose the “drive”, but I do not longer define myself by achievements or the pressure to reach the next big thing. I basically had to find myself, and I did. Now I am able to rest, to enjoy my achievements and do not longer pressure myself to take up the next big swim.

Another thought: A big swim can be a big-life-event and it takes time and effort to integrate it into your life. You can’t do much about the time it takes; I also usually take off a couple of weeks of swimming or just take some dips in the water and do only fun things - basically the opposite of real training. But regarding the effort it might be helpful to see it as a (rewarding) part of the mental side of our training to set aside time to deal with what just happened, after you completed a big swim. It’s quite common to deal intensively with a swim, that did not succeed – but how do we deal with success?

When I succeeded in my big swim last year I was in sort of a “state of no-believe” right after and two days later I broke down. Deep, dark emotions all over again. Wondering about what was happening I was able to feel that something was missing and I realized, that I basically missed my “arrival”. I had been swimming for nearly ten hours, reached the shore – and than had to rush back to the boat. There was no time to arrive mentally, to realize and reflect on what just happened, it was all over way too fast. So I recommend to take some time after a big swim and get to the shore where you reached land, take time and let it sink in. Since I had no possibility to do that and since I have a great coach we took a different road: We use hypnosis as part of our mental training and he guided me into a light state of hypnosis, brought me back to the moment I reached the shore and then “paused”. It took about two hours, but it gave me the possibility to arrive mentally and also emotionally. After that I felt much better and really realized what had happened. I guess, in a way, I had to give my head and especially my emotions a chance to catch up with what my body had already achieved. After that “initial integration” I also took a couple of weeks to really reflect: to think and talk about what had happened, sort through all the photos – basically just set aside time to deal with it in different ways to avoid going back to normal too fast.

It’ just my thoughts and experiences, but I hope this helps.
    Best wishes to everyone – you are not alone!

bluemermaid9JustSwimBigGuppy412flystormsSaraMcSwim
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Jacque said:

...but I do not longer define myself by achievements or the pressure to reach the next big thing. I basically had to find myself, and I did. Now I am able to rest, to enjoy my achievements and do not longer pressure myself to take up the next big swim.

I suppose @loneswimmer and @jacque have a point, for sure. I know that's not my issue though- I have no pressure to take up the next big swim and I've never defined myself as a swimmer. I actually get really embarrassed when I get accolades and compliments on my swimming. That's probably one of the hardest things for me to deal with- cuz, it's just swimming. It's a hobby. It's for fun. But, it doesn't actually mean anything in real life. I grew up age group swimming in Texas, so I have a really firm understanding of myself as a pretty mediocre swimmer who can just swim farther than most people (and I'm pretty sure a lot of people could swim far if they only wanted to). And I would HOPE that I'm not defined by my swimming ability- I'm a wife, friend, daughter, sister, aunt, employee, co-worker, dog mom, etc- and all those things are far more important than swimming. Last night, husband read back to me something I posted in the Relationships thread about 4 years ago when were engaged. I made a joke that I'd pick swimming over a marriage. But, it was a joke- I'd give it all up in a heartbeat if I needed to for my family. I love swimming and hope I don't have to give it up- but I'd still be a whole, fulfilled person without swimming.

I honestly think, at least for me, part of it is the workout high. Think back to Legally Blonde when Reese Witherspoon tells us that exercise releases endorphins, which make you happy- and happy people don't kill people. I think WHY it happens to me is because I'm focused, I'm exercising consistently, with a good routine, and then when I take a break after a big event- it's all gone- the routine, the endorphins, etc. So, I think in my case it's not the mental part of it, but more physical. No, I don't cry in the shower like Donal, but I think it's still a hormonal reaction to not getting enough exercise. But, then I'm so down in the dumps, I can't find my motivation and it's an ugly cycle.

All that being said, I suppose the WHY/HOW it happens isn't such a concern to me as the "and what did you do about it part." We're all different and causes may be different for each of us and without a psychologist, it'd be hard to figure that out. But, I think we can share tips on how we've moved past it. Those things are more concrete. I need another goal (swimming or not). On my FB thread, a few people said they found other hobbies that were cheaper, but still took up time and provided a way to give back. Some people just wait it out. Sounds like @jacque did some hypnosis (which seems like a really cool idea). Just curious how others come out on the other side.

flystormsdpm50Copelj26
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

ssthomas said:

All that being said, I suppose the WHY/HOW it happens isn't such a concern to me as the "and what did you do about it part." We're all different and causes may be different for each of us and without a psychologist, it'd be hard to figure that out. But, I think we can share tips on how we've moved past it. Those things are more concrete. I need another goal (swimming or not).

I've found that for me, it is not just important to set the next goal. It seems much more effective if I already have the next goal set (date and all) before I embark on the current big swim. Otherwise, I let the blues down spiral get momentum and half the year will pass before I can reverse course. If I have the next goal already in place, I find myself getting antsy after 3-4 days of recovery. I start getting out my calendar and setting my training plan.

Of course, @ssthomas, your goals are far more ambitious than mine, so this may be of limited value!

SolossthomasDanSimonelliflystormsdpm50

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Spacemanspiff said:

Of course, @ssthomas, your goals are far more ambitious than mine, so this may be of limited value!

Now come on!!! A goal is a goal- a challenge is a challenge! Any insight/experience is of value. And I think this makes sense- when I look back, I've always been fine if I knew what was coming up next before the last one finished. The EC was maybe a struggle afterwards b/c I thought I was perhaps done with swimming at that point. This last swim was a struggle, because I really didn't know what was next until a couple of weeks ago. I had issues in 2014, again- I didn't know what I had planned in 2015. I think that's a good thought! :-) Thanks for sharing.

DanSimonelliIronMike
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

Having seen and heard personally early on from veteran marathon swimmers around me about their post swim event blues, I've been cognizant of this before I swam into any long adventures.
    So, it's always been on my mind as I've set and reached my goals, swimming or otherwise.

My solution has been to not have anything planned for after the culminating swim event.
    Rather, I've played in the water, enlivened my joy of simply swimming without any conditions.
    Going with the flow of the day, week, month...whatever time it takes to start feeling the itch again to push, go longer.
    It's been fun thinking about all the different possible swims I could do next while plodding through my shorter swims, enjoying the water, surroundings, and the amazing comerarderie of swimming friends at La Jolla Cove who are pure examples of swimming for joy!
    (Not marathon swimmers)

It's worked for me every time, never experiencing any real blues or depression; questions and ponderings, sure.
    But giving that space to absorb all the good has been my key to continued enjoyment and fulfillment.

:)>-

ssthomasKarenT
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I think it helps to have something else (unrelated to swimming) in mind for the end of your season or after a big event. I had a long season last year, ( June-October) including a big swim, which I'd put in a lot of training hours for. We started on a long-overdue home remodeling project last fall, which was satisfying in that something was getting accomplished and it took up my "spare" time. I didn't get that post-season vacuum that I normally experience. This coming fall, I'm looking forward spending some time volunteering with my favorite animal rescue.

DanSimonelliKarenTssthomasIronMikedpm50Bridget

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

This is a chronic problem for me, too. I always have to have something else to look forward to, or the demons of doubt start wrecking the party about 2 days after finishing a big thing.

pavlicovssthomasIronMikesuziedodsdpm50

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

How about "lack of event depression"?
    Right now I'm coaching more than I'm swimming and I feel like a fraud.
    I'm so out of shape I can barely do 3 K in the pool much less a marathon anywhere else!
    I am however getting much better at telling others what to do...

DanSimonellissthomasCathyInCAdpm50
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember
    edited March 2017

For me, the depression seems to be more of a seasonal thing and typically begins after my last swim of openwater season. I think it happens for a number of reasons, some of which include:

1) the fun is over, what's next?
    2) a significant decline in training (impacting dopamine)
    3) burn out or extreme fatigue (I am usually pretty spent at the end of the season) and
    4) way too much time on my hands

I still don't know that much can be done except to know that it is coming and is part of the process. Although some of suggested good ol Canadian beer I have opted not.

ssthomasSologregoc
  • Yes, this happened to me a few times. After focusing for so many months on a particular event, I would experience almost a kind of "let down" once it is over. It was almost as if the training itself was such an all consuming task that I would feel some sort of void when I know longer had this thing to focus on. Luckily, I have been able to schedule family vacations for immediately after the swim so I get to reconnect with everyone, which doesn't let me wallow in it for too long. Dan Simonelli's method also worked for me and if the vacation was anywhere near a beach, it was great just to be able to play in the waves and just splash around.

ssthomasDanSimonelliCamille

Has anyone ever tried "detraining" as an option? I've heard of it before, but also read about it recently in Lynne Cox's "Swimming in the Sink." I don't know any specifics, other than the idea is that instead of dropping off all the way and taking a break immediately after your swim, you gradually decrease yardage/time in the water to a more manageable amount. The idea is that it slowly lets your body and mind ween itself off of the training/event highs so that we can handle the lows a little more easily without the drastic and sudden stop. I've never tried it, so no idea if it works or not. I've always gone the immediate stop route- maybe that's part of the problem?

DanSimonelliIronMikewendyv34swimfreeordie
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited March 2017

Nothing to see here.

Solossthomas

ssthomas said:
    Has anyone ever tried "detraining" as an option? I've heard of it before, but also read about it recently in Lynne Cox's "Swimming in the Sink." I don't know any specifics, other than the idea is that instead of dropping off all the way and taking a break immediately after your swim, you gradually decrease yardage/time in the water to a more manageable amount. The idea is that it slowly lets your body and mind ween itself off of the training/event highs so that we can handle the lows a little more easily without the drastic and sudden stop.

Although I haven't done this as Lynne describes exactly, I have always done a modified approach.

I treat the following week after the long swim as a recovery week like after any long training swim.
    I've always swum the day after, usually it's been 30-45min, just to loosen up, get the blood flowing through, and feel the massage of the water and enjoy the buoyancy.
    Subsequent swims in the week after (3-4 times total) are similar.
    No pushing whatsoever. Just relaxing and enjoying the slow movement in the water.

Then usually I've felt fine the next week and resume swimming moderately.
    Though this is where I deviate. I don't go back to building up again anytime soon.
    I've gone for weeks (a few months this last time after EC) doing 1-2 hour fun swims with friends or on my own.
    Gradually I start to feel like pushing again, usually with picking up pace/effort first on shorter swims, and then eventually start to go longer when I've set a new goal.

:)

ssthomasCathyInCApavlicovcurly
  • Thank you for this post! It was forwarded to me by a friend last night. I know it’s a year old but has been a great help to read. I did my first 10k swim last month, and have been really struggling since. I have had depression in the past but not for many years now. I was feeling fine during my training and immediately after the race, so struggling to understand why i’ve Slumped so much now. Great reassurance to know i’m not going totally mad.... and shouldn’t be afraid to do more big swims in the future. Which I must admit right now i’m In 2 minds about.... I feel I conquered the physical challenge absolutely fine, so was a little unprepared for taking such a hit afterwards in my mood.

ssthomasSoloJSwimMoCoCazzwim
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

In August 2008 I broke my age group WR in the 1500. A few weeks later I beat a six person relay (assembled specifically to beat me with some big name swimmers) convincingly at the Lake Travis 20K. A few months later I had my second back surgery. A week ago I had my tenth. I used look back and think about those races all the time, but now they're merely a memory. I haven't watched my WR pool swim in over five years. It's tough to be at the top of the mountain one minute and then to be put on my knees the next without warning the next. I was a hero and a God in cold surf that guards wouldn't even go out into. I can't even look at the beach or the ocean anymore. Post event depression is real.

SoloJSwimMoColakespray

@swimmer25k... I feel you. Swam 104 miles in August; diagnosed with breast cancer in November. Once the doctors assured me I wasn't going to die, at least not yet anyways, my first thoughts were to swimming. There's a really real chance I won't be able to train or do long swims at the same level for a long time, if ever. I try and tell myself that at least I have Lake Powell and Lake Champlain, but it'll never be enough knowing I still have swims left to do. Here's to hoping I can get it back....I'll never stop trying!

DanSimonelliIronMikeKatieBunSoloJSwimJustSwimwendyv34MoCoKarl_Kingerypavlicovswimmer25kStephenBridget

ssthomas said:
    @swimmer25k... I feel you. Swam 104 miles in August; diagnosed with breast cancer in November. Once the doctors assured me I wasn't going to die, at least not yet anyways, my first thoughts were to swimming. There's a really real chance I won't be able to train or do long swims at the same level for a long time, if ever. I try and tell myself that at least I have Lake Powell and Lake Champlain, but it'll never be enough knowing I still have swims left to do. Here's to hoping I can get it back....I'll never stop trying!

:x

SamJSwimwendyv34ssthomasswimmer25kBridget
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

It's always nice to reflect on past glories. I will never be as good as I was, but that's sort of the way it goes. There's always a new mountain to climb. I don't know how to combat post swim depression because I haven't experienced such a thing. This is probably the downside of being an eternal optimist...

ssthomasKatieBunJaimie
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Rapunzel: I’ve been looking out of a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it’s not everything I dreamed it would be?

Flynn Rider: It will be.

Rapunzel: And what if it is? What do I do then?

Flynn Rider: Well,that’s the good part I guess. You get to go find a new dream.

(Tangled)

evmossthomasrosemarymintDanSimonellidpm50
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member

Jaimie said:
    Rapunzel: What if it’s not everything I dreamed it would be?

Flynn Rider: It will be.

Rapunzel: And what if it is? What do I do then?

Flynn Rider: Well,that’s the good part I guess. You get to go find a new dream.

(Tangled)

Ah, Thank you Jaime! I so needed this today! I’m at that place where I don’t want to swim. I know it will make me feel better, and I can only wonder “Do I not want to feel better? Do I want to wallow in this feeling as a way to continue staying connected to that last swim and not move on to the next adventure? Am I not as ready for my story to end with Apache as I once believed?” I tell people I’m still processing but truthfully I’m stalling because I’m not ready to move on, & let go.

KatieBunJaimieflystorms
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

cwerhane said:

"I’m at that place where I don’t want to swim. I know it will make me feel better, and I can only wonder “Do I not want to feel better? Do I want to wallow in this feeling as a way to continue staying connected to that last swim and not move on to the next adventure?"

So well put, Cindy. I recognise that feeling. 2017 was the only year I managed 2 big swims and I didn't want to let go of the good feeling from the first one and start getting ready for the second. Getting back in the pool felt like an anticlimax and building up to 6 hours in training again was really difficult. I was demotivated to the point of tears and excuses. It was much better once I forced myself to swim for 6 hours. Then I finally let go of Round Jersey and started to look forward to Catalina.

SwimUpStreamssthomasJaimieDanSimonelli
  • Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member

Glad I came across this, been struggling to find any motivation since End Wet, also find myself denigrating the challenge of End Wet and the effort it took, which also brings me into debating whats next and at the same time whats the point. I think last weeks 10km event helped but my natural Irish moroseness has to be fought some times.

evmossthomasKatieBunSolo

This year I had my big swim in June and I've struggled with motivation all summer. Pushing myself this week to get back into training. Did the local swim festival on Saturday, 3k, 2k, 1k. Managed 2 hrs 20 mins by supporting a friend in his Channel taper yesterday. Signed up for 8 miles across Bideford Bay on Saturday. Hoping residual fitness is enough. I think I need my events later in the season. This is the first year I've actually felt lost. Such is life.

Copelj26Solo
  • I had a terrible mental battle training for my English Channel swim from Dungeness. Throughout all the training I was always trouble shooting staff problems at work. My head was always in the wrong place. The night before the swim was trembling, sweating and in constant tears hoping the weather would write off the swim. People saying things like "getting to the start line is the hardest part" or "If you can't get all the way across, at least use it as a great training swim" were somewhat unhelpful. I started the swim and hated every stroke and abandoned the attempt after three hours worried I might have a breakdown if I continued and never swim again. I came home and built a natural swimming pond in my garden, it was all the therapy I needed. I just had to promise myself I would stop serious swimming until it was finished. It is now finished and I can't wait to do a couple new swims next year.

Copelj26KatieBunSolo
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

I had this discussion, recently, after my year's goal being acchieved, I have trouble with motivation, to wake up in the morning go to swimming pool or to run alone. And if I don't get training, then I get frustrated. Post event I think there's a lack of anger/ dark force :)

KatieBunSolo
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

I'm SO here right now. I reached, and exceeded my year's goal and haven't been in the water since. I had a knee replacement and have put on considerable weight, which is making me self conscious about getting back into my shorts in front of anyone now that I can finally get back in the water. I also am so much more motivated when I have a clear goal in front of me, which I don't have right now. Also, other than for this forum, I have no immediate support to get me going. People who run, or do yoga, or bike, or whatever can find scads of people ready and willing to train with them....distance swimmers....not so much. It's a solitary existence, which can be a double edged sword.

PasqualeSoloCopelj26
  • rlmrlm Senior Member

YOU have to keep moving forward. THIS is your goal. MAKE yourself do this...1 stroke, then another stroke, then more strokes. Feelings won't get you started, but taking strokes will (Don't wait until you feel good.) Be patient, be positive and start taking those strokes...right now. I'm cheering for you.

MLamby
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member
    edited September 2018

Returning to this thread and it seems I bounce between the threads on post event depression and managing the devastations of DNFs. The final months of my year ended with an illness, a dnf, a dns, and finally a comeback swim. Just as I am recovering from the illness and managing the reconditioning, I see the sunset on my season, leaving me unsure of where to go from here. I struggle to commit to a 2019 plan while considering everything under the sun as an option. It seems like forever since I’ve swam anything substantial yet it’s barely been a year since In Search of Memphre. I don’t know if I should rest more, push harder, or give up. I have moments each day where I am proactive, contacting pilots only to later be insecure and self deprecating. While my final swim at Santa Cruz made me very happy, it also reinforced the sadness for what I missed out on at Tahoe and Cliff.

evmoSoloCopelj26
  • SaraMcSwimSaraMcSwim Charleston, SCNew Member

I am so grateful that this thread exists. I did my first marathon swim,15 mile circumnavigation of Folly Island, SC, on June 9 and was riding the high of not just conquering my first marathon swim, but also becoming the first woman ever to do that swim, for a good week and a half. But that high eventually wore off and I woke up on June 20th just gutted and having a complete breakdown. It was like every dark thought I had pushed aside during the months of training through all the COVID madness and to get through the event itself all came at me at once. That plus not working out as much during recovery and it was just perfect storm of depression. But this thread offered reassurance that what I'm experiencing is normal, and that I just need to get to work on my next goal, which is exactly what I needed to hear.

Solocurlyjendutj9swimwendyv34thelittlemerwookieCazzwim
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@SaraMcSwim - First of all welcome to the club! that is a difficult swim and you fought hard and got it done. the good news is that the depression means that you love doing it and miss it and it can be cured. sign up train up for another. Personally i have a list of swims i want to do and that keeps me engaged. I normally do probably 1/2 of my swims each year are repeats and the other 1/2 are new to me. You can start dreaming here. Also reading swimmer blogs is also a way to engage and explore options. I'm so excited to have another swimmer girl in Charleston and can't wait to see where you swim next!!!
    https://marathonswimmers.org/swim-calendars/us-marathons/

SaraMcSwimflystormsthelittlemerwookie
  • CazzwimCazzwim UK.New Member

For the first time in my swimming life I have had the luxury of making a training plan and bar a slight interruption due to Covid 19 sticking to it. During my training I stuck to a careful diet losing over 3 stone in weight!

I swam my event on Sunday, I had a super day out with two friends, lots of humour and friendly rivalry. They whizzed around in wetsuits ad I slogged it out in skins. I've felt physically fine all week, had a little swim down on Tuesday and will do the same again this evening.

My body feels fine but all of a sudden I feel so sad. The event I have been carefully planning for has passed and although I have another to look forward to in two months I'm feeling a bizarre sense of loss! A similar thing happened following my English Channel relay two years ago.

I'd love to know if this happens to other swimmers on this forum and if so how do you over come it? Is it normal to feel like this after a big sporting event?!

• Nick_PNick_P PAMember

Hey @Cazzwim sure has happened to me a few weeks back after my last swim, like a what do I work towards now? Feeling.
    Here is how I moved through I kept my training schedule and pulled back the distance and intensity.
    That kept the habits in place.

Cazzwim
    edited June 2022

Has happened to me so many times, @Cazzwim After I did EC, I was given two entirely opposing pieces of advice. Both pieces of advice came from marathon swimmers I respect hugely.

One told me not to rush into anything, but wait until I knew what I wanted to do next.

The other told me to have something planned, even a shorter, fun event.

I'm sure they both work but I went with the second option, still do it and have never regretted it. If I have absolutely nothing planned, I've found I feel lost and adrift....and I get very tetchy and bad tempered.

CazzwimLakeBagger

So grateful for this forum and the helpful advice so freely given! It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone feeling this way! My husband is not a swimmer nor a sportsman of any description so struggling to understand or empathise with the emotions I'm feeling right now!

ssthomasKatieBunLakeBagger
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Ebbs and flows. You can't possibly be at peak performance all the time. Neither can you be at a low point forever.

To everything, there is a season...

Cazzwim
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited June 2022

Is that true?!?
    Post event depresion?!?
    Unreal for me!
    After ow to be in depresion?!?
    But people and swimmers are diferent mental!
    Be health and more fun and drinks after event!

Ps im in depresion( sametimes) befor! Never after!
    If i have luck wll swim ow after 2 months and i not time and mood train! I must start 4.5 weeks befor event swim more!
    That make me litle crazy!
    But all must be joy!)))

I

KatieBun

Just to update those who kindly commented on my post. I had a little swim yesterday evening and again this morning. I left my watch off, didn't count laps and didn't have a plan. I made up a medley set as I went along, put my fins on and enjoyed some care free dolphin. My only aim being to swim for an hour.
    I'm going to treat myself to some cake and have a good bit of down time over the weekend.
    I'm feeling happier now the event has finally published my result, I wasn't as slow as I feared. I'm going to sit down later and plan for my event in two months and this time factor in some post swim activities to try and avoid the same malaise I felt this week.

evmoKatieBunMLambycurlyOpenh2oLakeBagger