Marathon Swims cancelled

abeabe australiaMember

I was meant to do a 21km marathon swim today but has been cancelled, have had an entry since 2019 but COVID and 2nd year cancelled due to conditions
I was wondering what others do when their event is cancelled and swimming 21km in a pool is not an option/replacement.
My thinking it is part of the journey and is why so many here have the tough game of never give up - bring on 2023

Comments

• Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited May 2022

Or 2025 or 2030!
    Thinking is all!
    I dream so many years swim Catalina! But i know never have 10 000 or more $ to do!
    But never mind! i do that swim so many times!
    Maybe im N1 mental swim Catalina record holder!)) I do hundrets swim in my brain)
    Be health all be OK!

LakeBagger
  • brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

@abe said:
    My thinking it is part of the journey and is why so many here have the tough game of never give up - bring on 2023

As it's often said, the event is the last stage of the journey. So yes, you lose the big day (and sometimes part of the money), but the journey and what you learnt and enjoyed is still there.

Where I live, we are lucky enough that every year there are always 2 or 3 events which you can count on, so switching from one plan to another is easy. It helps to get over the deception of a cancelled swim.

If not possible, organizing a nice, long swim with easy logistics by yourself may be a good plan, so that you don't feel your fitness goes to waste.

Swimmersuz
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

In 2020 I was scheduled to swim 25 miles in lake Memphremagog. The Canadian/US border was closed because of the pandemic, so the swim was postponed. I wound up swimming 21+ miles in a lake closer to home- I gathered a small crew, a boat, and the MSF forms and just did a swim of my own design. I was lucky all the pieces came together. Do you have any options in your area?

(I'm hoping to finally get that Memphre swim done in September this year, better late than never!)

swimfreeordieSwimmersuzOpenh2ojendut
  • abeabe australiaMember

I enjoyed the sunshine and a relaxing few km in the pool - the best part is you can always go out as kejoyce did and enjoy a 21 mile swim - pure bliss

kejoyceOpenh2o
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited May 2022

To all and especialy EC!
    MIUS is unreal OW swim!
    So great people so great organizacion and for me Madeira is one of the coolest place in the world!
    Wish u have luck to can try that
    Amazing adventure!
    MIUS ( 1K-5K-10K and unreal beauty Calheta to Funchal 30k!)

https://www.miusmadeira.com/en/

curly
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited June 2022

@abe said:
    I was meant to do a 21km marathon swim today but has been cancelled, have had an entry since 2019 but COVID and 2nd year cancelled due to conditions

I have signed up last week for a 10 km event tomorrow in the commuting area of my new home (after I received an ultimatum from another race organiser which triggered my interest in doing something - the ultimatum has since been resolved), meant to be my season opener, but it has been cancelled due to adverse weather warning. It may be rescheduled later in the year but my autumn schedule is very full with 2 marathon swims (including an entry from 2020) and a Channel relay pending, and I no longer have any marathon swims in the summer.

I was wondering what others do when their event is cancelled and swimming 21km in a pool is not an option/replacement.

I will just get to the pool and get a few km done as I have no training plan this week due to the event.

@kejoyce said:
    In 2020 I was scheduled to swim 25 miles in lake Memphremagog. The Canadian/US border was closed because of the pandemic, so the swim was postponed. I wound up swimming 21+ miles in a lake closer to home- I gathered a small crew, a boat, and the MSF forms and just did a swim of my own design. I was lucky all the pieces came together. Do you have any options in your area?

In summer 2020 my event was postponed due to the pandemic (to 2021, then given the option to 2022 which I took since the border was still closed). At the end of the year (2020) I did the same (gathered a small crew, a boat, and the MSF forms and just did a swim of my own design) in Hong Kong because of my training need (Channel preparation).

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

I was due to do the Jubilee 10k tomorrow. Such is life. They can't guarantee the safety of swimmers and kayakers. It'll be rescheduled. Disappointing, yes, but that's the way it goes. I shall try out my newly healed wing another time

LakeBagger
  • jendutjendut Charter Member

A crucial "muscle" that we train? GRATITUDE. In 2020 I was scheduled to swim the length of Lake Geneva Switzerland- then lockdown, quarantine, swimming on a tether in my backyard (2 x 3 m pool filled with a hose), eventual lake swimming...(similar to @kejoyce) in August that year we just barely were allowed to leave our state and go a couple of states away- I made my own swim by doing 18 hrs of laps around a lake I have visited my entire life. With gratitude.
    In 2021 I still trained in my backyard pool with a tether, made appointments to swim at a pool during winter, trained in a local lake (algae permitting), and successfully swam Geneva (which took a LOT longer t. With gratitude.
    This is the pic of my laps in Groton in 2020- as it is in the middle of the woods, the satellite was spotty and didn't capture all of it and the only people who observed the swim (apart from my kayakers, who were my husband and children, because covid) were the people watching me go around and, best of all, my parents watching from their deck and cheering!

KatieBunruthLakeBaggerMpolwendyv34
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Yeah, I just found out a that little race I was going to do got postponed until August. I was really looking forward to it because I had finally gotten the racing bug and this was going to be the first one in a long time. Oh well, things happen and life goes on. I think the past few years have shown us what can happen to the best laid plans.

Overall, it doesn't really matter. I plan to swim until my nurse stops wheeling me to the water's edge. And even then I'll probably find a way to take a plunge whenever and wherever possible.

Openh2oabbygirlroseLakeBagger
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

@curly said:
    Yeah, I just found out a that little race I was going to do got postponed until August. I was really looking forward to it because I had finally gotten the racing bug and this was going to be the first one in a long time. Oh well, things happen and life goes on. I think the past few years have shown us what can happen to the best laid plans.

Overall, it doesn't really matter. I plan to swim until my nurse stops wheeling me to the water's edge. And even then I'll probably find a way to take a plunge whenever and wherever possible.

Was this Del Valle? If so, I am bummed too!

• abeabe australiaMember

Thanks for the journeys - sometimes a cancellation is good if you need some extra prep and you are hoping or needing perfect conditions to get to the end

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

I'm on my way to meet up for a swim with a friend I haven't seen for a couple of years, since I'm now in the London area. There's always something to look forward to. 😁

jendutLakeBagger
  • jendutjendut Charter Member

@KatieBun said:
    I'm on my way to meet up for a swim with a friend I haven't seen for a couple of years, since I'm now in the London area. There's always something to look forward to. ?

You go girl! Optimism! Sister to Gratitude and Mother of Resilience <3

KatieBun
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member
    edited June 2022

@abbygirlrose said:
    Was this Del Valle? If so, I am bummed too!

Yep, Del Valle. It sounded like it would be kind of a fun way to start summer. My sister is a land marathoner and she and her daughter signed up earlier this year. She told me about it and so I signed up too.

I'm especially bummed because I was trying out a new workout concept to prove a point. And now I'm pointless. I was out of the water all winter and started swimming again in March. I was doing pool workouts only twice a week. The concept was to do intense, hard workouts infrequently and see where it got me. I thought the 5K open water swim would be a great test of the concept.

What I have discovered so far is that I probably would have done pretty well. My first swim in March was a gentle excursion. I did 100's on the two minutes for 45 minutes and called it a day. I think by the time I finished I was averaging around 1:40. I built from that inauspicious start to workouts that were 5500 yards. Most sets were middle distance with short rest periods. As I was getting closer to race day I did some test swims of 1500 or 2000 yards trying to hold an all day pace of 1:25, which I did successfully. When I did 100's I was doing a 1:45 send off and clocking in at 1:15, so there's quite a bit of improvement from my first day. I was hoping to get that ducked down to a 1:10 for the full :30 drop in time, but that was not to be.

My workouts played a lot of games with pacing change ups. Sets like 800's with a fast 200 tossed in the overall 800 made it so I could turn on the jets whenever I wanted. By the end of this month I was able to do a 5500 workout and knock out some hard fast yardage at the end of the workout. So I was ready for race day and ready to prove my point.

We have a thread about whether pool swimming helps open water competition. My point was that yes indeed it helps open water competition. I haven't been able to do any open water swimming because it's been cold rainy and miserable all spring here. So my swimming has been exclusively pool swimming. I was looking forward to Del Valle as a great test of my premise. I had twelve pool workouts from being a land dwelling creature to being immersed in my favored element and I thought this would be pretty cool. Now the race is postponed until August. I'm still signed up and I think my sister will go for it too, although she's training for an October marathon, so we will see.

Hopefully the fire and smoke season doesn't wipe out August.

(Sorry, this got a little longer than I intended. But as I said above, life goes on and there will be plenty of time to do other races. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to do my science experiment, but lake season is opening up and the exclusive pool swimming will be in the rear view mirror. It has been an interesting exercise though.)