2021 Events

j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

I started to layout possible events to swim in 2021 (Continental US) and unlike all other years i cannot find dates for signups or the planned dates for most events . This of course is not surprising given what has taken place in 2020. I do hope all of the events that took place in the past will continue forward and maybe some new ones. That being said if there is no plan to host an existing event in 2021 will there be communication as to such?
I know this is a labor of love on the part of the amazing people who organize these events and I also wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you and i do hope to see many of you next year!

Kate_AlexandermiklcctIronMikeBogdanZcurlyOpenh2othelittlemerwookieswimrn62StLucia_Channeldpm50

Comments

• LouisMLouisM Dublin, IrelandMember
    edited September 2020

I'm in a similar position. Like the US, many events this side of the Atlantic are slow to post dates. I'm drawing up a provisional plan of events based on the dates from previous years. I'm also planning my own distance swims so as to avoid reliance on others.

To echo your sentiments j9swim, a huge thank you to anyone planning to host an event next year. I wish you every success

Openh2oSoloStLucia_Channel
  • KristyW8KristyW8 New Member

I also feel the lack of 2021 event listings to be challenging in keeping my training motivating!

And yes, as you both have said, this has helped me really recognize and hold up swim event organizers! Especially navigating all this uncertainty currently.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I had registered for 2020 Swim the Suck, and they pistponed it to 2021. The last email I got fr them listed 10/9 as the new date. I suppose with all these events there's an element of fingers crossed.

One swim that wasn't canceled was the Bender Memorial Marathon Swim 8/28/20--held w social distancing and not the usual post-swim bbq. I did that swim, loved it, and hope to do it next year, God willing. @John_Kenny is the race director. He was able to hold most of the events planned for this year w the exception of a tri planned on a school property. And they were all successful! No cases of covid arose fr any of them.

What do you think about next year, John?

Agree--organizers deserve tons of credit! The work that goes into even a half mile open water swim, let alone 5k to 8 miles is huge!

IronMike
  • StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member

Down here, in Saint Lucia, we do plan to have some events but do not have dates as yet. We are currently planning solo swims with fingers crossed that we can make them happen.
    In the past, our event was always in July. We would like to have a couple new events with longer distances as well but the next problem we will have is corporate support.

I wish, as an organizer, I could provide dates and more information. For now, I am happy that we can at least keep scheduling individual/solo swims.

IronMikeBogdanZakswimj9swim
  • ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

The Jim Whelan swim around Absecon Island (Atlantic City, NJ) has a date--August 1, 2021.

https://greenwhales.org/around-the-island™%EF%B8%8F-1

StLucia_ChannelOpenh2oj9swimdpm50swimfreeordie
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited October 2020

Ruth wish u healt and good luck!
    This swim look cool!
    Have all for one really great swim!
    One my friend tell me a lot about Atlantic city swim! All fantastic story!
    He win this competition befor years!
    All the best!

• NEKOWSA events (Phil White's northern VT swims) are currently expected to go forward, with limited numbers and social distancing, and observance of VT State's requirements for travelers entering the state:
    kingdomgames.co/

j9swimLakeBagger
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member

In 2021, NEKOWSA has a full summer of swims scheduled in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. They include Kingdom Swim on 7-24-21, NEK Swim Week on 8-7 through 8-15, seven three-day windows In Search of Memphre, and a Saturday Clubhous Swim Series. Based on our experience this past summer of running 16 days of swims, even under the Cloud of Covid, we have set these swims up so that they can be run as small group, socially distanced swims OR can be opened up to more numbers and more of a party. Here's the 2021 Schedule of Swims.

The only swim that will probably NOT be going forward is our Memphremagog Winter Swim Festival. We will be making that call around January 1, 2021.

We will get through this Great Disturbance and as we do, we are at the ready.

evmoSwimmersuzIronMikeJSwimLakeBaggerViveBenej9swim
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member

Confirming that we are planning to host a full throttle Kingdom Swim, July 24th, 2021, with the requirement that all swimmers, kayakers, and boat pilots be vaccinated. With vaccines readily available to all adults in the US by the end of May or mid June, we are set up for 25 days of open water swimming in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

See: Dead Ahead - The Miracle of Summer in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont

endracingGlobalSwimmerIronMike
  • "requirement that all swimmers, kayakers, and boat pilots be vaccinated."!!!
    Cool!
    Im Speechless!
    Ps I hope to be possible to vaccinate on registration( pre-race meeting) The day befor swim?)))
    In summer maybe will have new vaccine( quicky) just for compet.like sunblock!
    All the best

Fil
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

@Openh2o said:
    "requirement that all swimmers, kayakers, and boat pilots be vaccinated."!!!
    Cool!
    Im Speechless!
    Ps I hope to be possible to vaccinate on registration( pre-race meeting) The day befor swim?)))

It takes a couple of weeks after the final shot for the body to build full immunity. While not everyone suffers side effects, it definitely feels like a punch in the arm the following day.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member

@StLucia_Channel said:
    Down here, in Saint Lucia, we do plan to have some events but do not have dates as yet. We are currently planning solo swims with fingers crossed that we can make them happen.
    In the past, our event was always in July. We would like to have a couple new events with longer distances as well but the next problem we will have is corporate support.

I wish, as an organizer, I could provide dates and more information. For now, I am happy that we can at least keep scheduling individual/solo swims.

One of our hotel partners is going to be planning a swim vacation/holiday for sometime in the fall. We will publish details once the final information is in place.
    They are currently looking for highly recognized swimmers/coaches to come and offer clinics as well. Please feel free to message or email if you are interested.

GlobalSwimmer
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

Interesting requirement re being vaccinated prior to a swim.

The two swims around Key West are also on as far as I know - the .org (CFK) on June 12 and the .com (Bill Welzien) two weeks later. I have signed up for the former and am super pumped up to go back into the Ocean.

SoloStLucia_Channel