Galilee Marathon Swimming assoc. is launched

Galilee MSA unveils iconic swim location for marathon swimmers
The association provides the infrastructure to help swimmers challenge themselves in the unique, historical, natural and peaceful Sea of Galilee in accordance with Open Water Marathon Swimming international standards
The site
The Sea of Galilee is a natural and historical wonder. At minus 210 meters below sea level, It is the lowest freshwater lake in the world and the crossing point to the largest bird migration routes. Located at the “cradle of human culture” it is rooted in biblical history and is a natural source of freshwater for neighboring countries that embodies friendship and peace.
The history
The sea of Galilee met its first documented Marathon swim in 1953 when Yitzhak Yehezkel completed its crossing in 9h39’, later followed by Malka Tenenbaum and Edna Borenstein who completed the first female crossing in 1954 in 9h20’. In recent years, with the growing popularity of open water swimming in Israel, crossing the length of the “Kinneret” has regained its place as a challenge for local swimmers in their training program for other international Channel crossing challenges, and also for swimmers coming from abroad to experience the lake with all its glamour and fame.
The association
The Galilee MSA was created to develop, promote and educate about marathon swimming in Israel in accordance with international standards, and to advocate for clean waters and improving the coastal and marine environment in Israel.
The association supports swimmers with all necessary information and contacts to approved boat operators, supplies qualified observers to verify that all rules of Marathon swimming are kept, ratifies the swims and handles the database swim records in partnership with the Marathon Swimming Federation (MSF).
The Galilee MSA was co-founded in December 2019 by Guy Cohen and Eyal Schachner, two accomplished Israeli OW swimmers. Other members and accomplished swimmers serving on the association’s team include Avishag Turek, Alon Korek, Yaron Davidi, Fabrice Beer-Gabel, Gad Binyamin, Oded Rahav, Amit Potashnik, and more.
The swims
The full length of the lake is 20.5 km / 12.7 miles, between Capernaum (North) to Zemach (South) or vice versa. Width crossing, 10 km between Tiberius and Ein-Gev, can also be arranged.
The swims can be arranged throughout most of the year except for summer months due to overheated water and air temperatures. Preferable swim months are October-December and April-June.
Our website has a lot more information for you to review. You can follow us at:
Web: https://galileemsa.org.il/en/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GalileeMarathonSwimming/

Registration is now open for the 2020 seasons
This swim MUST be one on your bucket list!

EyalSchevmoIronMikeBogdanZAnthonyMcCarleythelittlemerwookieSwimBrothers1Solodpm50kiparizMvG

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Congratulations @Guyco111, @EyalSch, and the GMSA. So cool to see the development of this new resource for swimmers (by swimmers) in such an interesting body of water. I know this was a lot of work to set up - and will continue to be - and I'm very appreciative of your efforts.

This swim MUST be one on your bucket list!

It is!

Guyco111EyalSchthelittlemerwookieSwimBrothers1AnthonyMcCarleyrlmssthomas
  • iainhwiainhw SE EnglandMember

@Guyco111 - what's the rough boat cost for the full length?

• Guyco111Guyco111 IsraelMember

@iainhw said:
    @Guyco111 - what's the rough boat cost for the full length?

roughly 1300 USD /8 hours. boat captain should be contacted for details.

iainhwssthomasdpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Not this year but def future reference!

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

I had a read on the website and the crossing is very appealing, it is a remarcable location and country.

I am a bit curious about the costs, because the membership fee and observer cost add up to 225 USD (let's say 300), the rest of 1k USD is the captain's fee?
    https://galileemsa.org.il/what-is-required-for-a-galilee-crossing/

Do not know the local conditions but if the swimmer would arrange his own boat and skipper, would you remain at around 300 USD for the membership fee and observer cost? I find the boat expensive and I reckon it;s not your boat/ cost and you just wanted to help with a rough estimation, so don't take it personal :smile:

As an ideea I paid (non-sponsored events) Rottnest boat 20k distance 500 USD and for Sept 2020 Italy boat rental with skipper for ~50k's and ~16hrs: 1k EURO.

Thank you

@BogdanZ said:

I had a read on the website and the crossing is very appealing, it is a remarcable location and country.

I am a bit curious about the costs, because the membership fee and observer cost add up to 225 USD (let's say 300), the rest of 1k USD is the captain's fee?
    https://galileemsa.org.il/what-is-required-for-a-galilee-crossing/

Do not know the local conditions but if the swimmer would arrange his own boat and skipper, would you remain at around 300 USD for the membership fee and observer cost? I find the boat expensive and I reckon it;s not your boat/ cost and you just wanted to help with a rough estimation, so don't take it personal :smile:

As an ideea I paid (non-sponsored events) Rottnest boat 20k distance 500 USD and for Sept 2020 Italy boat rental with skipper for ~50k's and ~16hrs: 1k EURO.

Thank you

The boat charges are separate from the association costs. A swimmer can arrange a boat and skipper not through the association website, but then it is up to the assoc. to approve it based on professionalism and swimmer safety considerations. In each case, the direct costs for the association will remain the same as published on the website.

BogdanZ
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

@Guyco111 said:the direct costs for the association will remain the same as published on the website.

which are very reasonable

Guyco111

Well, not a great start on the inaugural year of the association, however we had to come out with the following statement:
    Important message from the GMSA managing board
    Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and the current restrictions imposed on the entire population in Israel, we have to suspend all swims booked for April. Swimmers can defer their swims to a later date or cancel, in which case the down-payment will be fully reimbursed. Further decisions regarding swims starting May 1st will be announced by April 10.
    Please stay tuned, stay healthy and keep spirits high amidst all difficulties

On the brighter side, the Sea of Galilee has seen a bountiful rainy season this winter, which means sea level is nearing it's highest peak. it also means that the crossing will be 10 meters longer now :)

Kate_AlexanderBogdanZ