Alpine lake hike + swim

SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member
edited January 2020 in General Discussion

There is a local alpine lake that I want to swim. It is a tough 3 hour hike in, and is only 6 km long. There are no boats or water craft available, so there would be no support. if I do the swim, I would take my feeds in a Myfloat dry bag. So the question is, can I consider this a legitimate marathon swim, given the two 6 km legs, and taking along the dry bag? The answer to this question will not be a determining factor for doing the swim, but I am curious!

Comments

• andissandiss Senior Member

If its a 3 hour hike - maybe you can drag something smaller with you like an inflatable SUP

Solo
  • MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

andiss said:
    If its a 3 hour hike - maybe you can drag something smaller with you like an inflatable SUP

or an oru? https://www.orukayak.com/

I haven't used them, but the weights are ~30 lbs so they're hikable if you're strong (or your kayaker is strong)

Solo
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

This sounds lovely. Which lake is it?

Solo
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

msathlete said:
    This sounds lovely. Which lake is it?

Garibaldi lake, near Squamish. I am reconsidering the dry bag; the lake water is very drinkable, so I am thinking about just stuffing a bunch of gels in my jammers, 12k should be just over 4 hours for me.
    By the way, your swims are fascinating! Both on the island, and your Great Bear swims, am excited to read more of your exploits this year!

IronMike
  • andissandiss Senior Member

Nice looking swim!!

Solo
  • SaltySalishSaltySalish Nanaimo, BC, CanadaMember

Did you do it @Solo? I also live on Van Isle like @msathlete, and always looking for adventures like this. Just purchased a RuckRaft (https://www.abovebelow.sc/ruckraft) which I'm eagerly waiting for the mail, for adventures just like you've described... will see how it tows.

• SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

@SaltySalish I did not get the chance yet. Scheduling conflicts, work, and other excuses have got in the way. Still on my list, and would love to see someone else do it too!

• SaltySalishSaltySalish Nanaimo, BC, CanadaMember

Fair enough, and now snow! :) I'm totally curious, and love the idea of hiking in to more remote swims. Add it to the new decade goal!

IronMike