Jim McDonnell Lake Swims 2020

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Sure, these swims don't reach the level of marathon, or even half, but thought I'd add a thread anyway.

I've done the Jim McDonnell Lake Swims twice over the years and each time (separated by 8 years) I had a great time. The event is expertly organized and a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

What's new this year is they're offering a 2-person relay for the 2-mile swim. I believe this means that the first person takes off to swim the first mile, exits the water, tags the second person who then enters and swims the second mile. (I'm awaiting a response from the organizers to ensure this is the agenda vice both swimming at the same time and times added.)

If you've never done one of these relays, you're missing out on a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to do a 3 x one kilometer relay in Sochi a couple years ago and it was a blast. I've been waiting for a relay like this in the states and I'm glad to see the Jim McDonnell Lake Swims folks offering it for 2020.

Details: Sunday, May 24, 2020 (Memorial Day weekend) at Lake Audobon in Reston, VA. They're offering 1-mile and 2-mile events. There is enough time between the two events to actually swim both the 1-mile and 2-mile.

I'm going to try and make it down there that weekend. Anyone interested in forming a 2-person team for the 2-mile?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I found a partner for the 2-mile relay! Thanks, @Sara_Wolf!

Sara_Wolf

• @IronMike said:
    I found a partner for the 2-mile relay! Thanks, @Sara_Wolf!

We have two days to figure out registration!

IronMike
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Unfortunately, just got this notice on FB:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: We regret to announce that the 2020 Jim McDonnell Lake Swims have been CANCELLED due to measures in place to protect the public from the COVID 19 virus. We will provide a FULL REFUND to those who have registered for the event.
    The JMLS organizing committee is making this decision out of an abundance of caution and concern for our swimmers, volunteers, and spectators. Our priority is always for the health and safety of everyone involved in this event. Stay healthy and we'll see you next year!