What are your swim goals for 2020?

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited January 2020 in General Discussion

This thread has become tradition around here - I think it's the 6th year!

Anyone have goals they want to share? It's OK if you don't, but sometimes a small public commitment is the difference between swimming and snoozing the alarm.

nooravalkonenStephen

Comments

• SwimNCSwimNC Charlotte Member
    1. Rough water experience.

2. Prompting long distance training camps in the US. Options in Boston (Elaine) and/or San Fran (Evan/SERC) would be huge. If only we had a domestic superstar OW marathoner (Sarah) who would agree to sign on...

Just throwing it out there. As much as we all love global travel, finances/work/life limit the ability to do so annually.

evmophodgeszohoSaltySalish
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@SwimNC said: Options in Boston (Elaine) and/or San Fran (Evan/SERC) would be huge.

Camp organizing isn’t really my thing, but I agree, would be cool to have equivalent of HTW or CDW in the USA.

Sara_WolfSwimNC
  • musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

I did my first Ironman last summer and the swim portion was by far my favourite part so I have signed up for my first 10km swim in September of 2020!

evmoflystormsLakeBaggerSolophodgeszoho
  • PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember
    edited January 2020

Last year completed my first 10km.. this year plan to do 1 or 2 10km and a 10miles at the end of the season... But i still have to find a swim... Any suggestions for something around 10miles end of July beginning August in the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy or anywhere between..

evmophodgeszohokipariz
  • edited January 2020

@evmo said:

@SwimNC said: Options in Boston (Elaine) and/or San Fran (Evan/SERC) would be huge.

Camp organizing isn’t really my thing, but I agree, would be cool to have equivalent of HTW or CDW in the USA.

I've always thought Maine would be a beautiful spot for something like this... @slknight @kejoyce

evmo
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

@thelittlemerwookie when I saw this post I thought the same thing (though to be fair at any given moment I'm usually thinking about swimming in Maine :) )

So many islands to swim to/from/around!

I lack organization skills, though.

evmothelittlemerwookiephodgeszoho
  • AzskiAzski ArizonaMember

2018 was filled w logistics and financial commitments for a couple challenging unprecedented swims.2019 I thought I'd let organizers handle logistic, entered competetive events, raced too hard and injured myself....
    2020 will be a year of reflection(=enjoyment for an aging athlete)and personal growth(=challenging, creative swims). I want to capitalize on the opertunities MSF presents to document unique aquatic adventures. Not too long, not too complicated, just fun. I'm planning an international swim between Mexico and S. Calf., and an island crossing in the nearly untouched(by marathon swimmers) Lake Michigan.
    Finding balance.....

evmoCopelj26Solophodgeszoho
  • I've got Swim around Lido on the Calendar, with Swim the Suck also a goal. I have the signup date already posted on my calendar.
    Other than those two....swimming year-round outside on the weekends. The big challenge there will be that my tried and true reliable kayakker is likely moving away in May....so, I need to find someone else who is willing to go every weekend.

SaraMcSwim
  • nooravalkonennooravalkonen FinlandNew Member
    edited January 2020

Today I’ve been swimming 200 days every day and I’m gonna keep going! It’s not a goal, though, more like a habit/routine.

I’m also interested in seeing how long and how much I can actually swim.

#swimstreak

phodgeszohoAzski
  • musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

@nooravalkonen said:
    Today I’ve been swimming 200 days every day and I’m gonna keep going! It’s not a goal, though, more like a habit/routine.

I’m also interested in seeing how long and how much I can actually swim.

#swimstreak

How far do you typically swim when your doing it everyday?

• miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited January 2020

My swimming goals for 2020:

1. To complete my first >= 16 km
    2. To get my 10 km time down to 3:40 (in line with my goal running for a marathon in 3:40)
    3. To qualify for the cross harbour race in Hong Kong

P.S. a 50 km running is considered an ultra so in the original post I thought that anything over 10 km swimming was an ultra as well.

nooravalkonen
  • bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

@miklcct said: 1. To complete my first ultra (>= 16 km)

Great goal to complete your first 16km, but since when is 16km an "ultra"?

• abeabe australiaMember

@miklcct said:
    My swimming goals for 2020:

1. To complete my first >= 16 km
    2. To get my 10 km time down to 3:40 (in line with my goal running for a marathon in 3:40)
    3. To qualify for the cross harbour race in Hong Kong

P.S. a 50 km running is considered an ultra so in the original post I thought that anything over 10 km swimming was an ultra as well.

you are super human 10km in 3:40

• nooravalkonennooravalkonen FinlandNew Member

@musclewhale89 — It depends! Weekdays is usually around 2,5-4 K in the early morning. Weekends back-to-backs something ”longer” i.e. 5-5,5 K at the moment. I’m working my way up to swimming 10 kilometers.

If I have felt totally tired or if I’ve done some weight training in the morning too, I’ve just done one K or drills in the kids pool. ☺️

• North Channel end of July. Derwent River Big Swim end of December. Just started feeling nervous..

PasqualeSolophodgeszoho
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

My 2020 goals:
    1) Swim at least 200 miles;
    2) Complete Rose Pitonoff;
    3) Complete Swim the Suck;
    4) Find a partner for the 2-mile relay at the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim in Reston, VA.

SoloStephen

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

My 2020 goals......for what is effectively my year off.
    Help to run the BLDSA Distance Weekend.
    Run a Channel relay swimmer team training weekend for a friend.
    Swim the Jubilee River 10k.
    Swim Torbay (Meadfoot to Brixham and back) 8 miles.
    Swim a local 5k event and 6k swim festival to support wonderful local event company.
    Keep my swimbuddies company for their training.
    Do some EC observing, as much as I can fit in.
    Crew for anybody I can help in EC or Cornwall to Scilly.
    Bucket around Scotland in the campervan.

evmoPasqualej9swimflystormsSoloStephenphodgeszohoWebstem67
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@KatieBun - that's not a year off, that sounds like a karma balancing year. giving back and supporting others and still doing you. well done!

flystormsKatieBun
  • sosophiaphiasosophiaphia Colorado USAMember
    • Continue to work on reducing my fear of open water, which is still my #1 limiting factor in this hobby.
    • Swim something in the 20 mile / 30K / 10 hour range. Details TBD.
    • Support at least as many events as I swim.
    Solobatches

@j9swim said:
    @KatieBun - that's not a year off, that sounds like a karma balancing year. giving back and supporting others and still doing you. well done!

@j9swim cheers for that! It may be a good way forward after 2021..... do a few shorter things for fun and get involved in all sorts of other ways.

• batchesbatches Littleton, COMember

Lots of goals, and huge plans for 2020, but the one I'll list here is to do the Horsetooth 10K swim breaststroke. Then I'll have done that 10K in each of the four strokes.

phodgeszohokejoyceJustSwimnooravalkonenjendutSwimNCj9swimorcaericdpm50
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

After a year and a half away from serious swimming to recover from a shoulder injury, I have gone and done something stupid! Signed up for the 8 Bridges in June/July.

I think subconsciously I like setting myself up to fail... :-/

KatieBunmiklcctJustSwimSwimNCStephen
  • MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

Get my lazy bum back in the pool consistently, race some things in the 1-3 mile range while I rebuild my base.

Sara_WolfflystormsDuganaddyCopelj26thelittlemerwookie
  • abeabe australiaMember

Goals this year 10km start of May as need a 4hour qualifier (miss out by 1 month from last year) for 21.5km Swim The Gold Coast. The 10km will be a nice training session and a good ocean swimmer prior to the 21.5km.

Good luck to everyone 2020

Solothelittlemerwookie
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

The Length of Lake Tahoe - everything else this season is building towards that. I'm a romantic about swimming and have been looking to fall in love with something that would take me over 10 hours. Channels hadn't really grabbed me, Lake George seemed too big and Memphremagog scared me. But swimming at night across Lake Tahoe last summer, i was so happy. So in August I'll go back to see if last summer was a fling or the real deal.

nooravalkonenSoloKatieBunjendutIronMikethelittlemerwookierlmJustSwimSuzanne
  • Tory1340Tory1340 Metrowest MANew Member

2020 swim goals? I have two competing goals that are also complementary:
    1. USMS Go-the Distance challenge to beat last year's total (~760 miles). Currently ahead of goal pace.
    2. Lake Winnipesaukee (NH) Alton Bay to Center Harbor, approx 21 miles. I've been yapping about this for nearly two years - time to put up or shut up.
    The silly SCY total has taught me how to shut off my brain and keep whacking along in the water.

DuganaddySoloIronMikedpm50
  • SaltySalishSaltySalish Nanaimo, BC, CanadaMember

Inspired by many of you (I'm a wanna be marathon swimmer, and new to this forum), I just signed up for the Sitka 10km swim in Alaska. Looks like an amazing swim, and feeling excited about the challenge.

miklcctthelittlemerwookieIronMikeSolorlmdpm50
  • Trimom71Trimom71 IllinoisNew Member
    edited February 2020

Swim the Suck. First time doing anything like this, but have been wanting to do it for 12 years. Wasn't planning on signing up yesterday. A half hour after registration opened I figured what the heck. Didn't think I would get in, but here I am.

SolothelittlemerwookieAzskij9swimflystormsGoBluedpm50IronMike
  • GoBlueGoBlue MichiganNew Member

@Trimom71 said:
    Swim the Suck. First time doing anything like this, but have been wanting to do it for 12 years. Wasn't planning on signing up yesterday. A half hour after registration opened I figured what the heck. Didn't think I would get in, but here I am.

I just signed up for Swim the Suck also. Super excited about it. That "what the heck" attitude can get you into a great deal of trouble! :wink:

flystormsdpm50IronMike
  • mke84mke84 Milwaukee, WIMember

Right now, I can't financially justify entering any races other than possibly a few shorter (2 mile - 5k) ones close to home. I'm currently swimming in the pool ~12-15k/week, so my main 2020 goal is to build up to ~25k/week by the fall and maintain that through the winter so I'm prepared to train for some big swims (possibly END-WET) in 2021. I may also look into organizing a 15k solo swim in a nearby lake, but there are a lot of things I need to research and sort out before I even seriously begin that process.

Out of curiosity - @Azski , what are you thinking for your Lake Michigan swim?

• I made it in to the Suck as well! Yay!!

IronMikeGoBlueTrimom71MoCoflystorms

In the Suck! w00t! Thanks for a great race @KarahNazor

GoBlueTrimom71

• Webstem67Webstem67 Rapperswil, Switzerland Member
    edited February 2020

@KatieBun - you are slacking this year! A campervan around Scotland sounds great. C u in Torbay though!

• SaraMcSwimSaraMcSwim Charleston, SCNew Member

@Sara_Wolf said:
    I've got Swim around Lido on the Calendar, with Swim the Suck also a goal. I have the signup date already posted on my calendar.
    Other than those two....swimming year-round outside on the weekends. The big challenge there will be that my tried and true reliable kayakker is likely moving away in May....so, I need to find someone else who is willing to go every weekend.

I'm also swimming Lido this year, and it will be my first marathon swim--which is my main goal for this year. :smiley: After that swim I'll assess where my body's at and then decide which distance to do at Fontana Lake: 5k, 10k or 15k.

Solo

@Webstem67 said:
    @KatieBun - you are slacking this year! A campervan around Scotland sounds great. C u in Torbay though!

Just taking some time out! Looking forward to Torbay, though. See you there, Martyn.

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

I will be Antibes 30k, Bosphor crossing 6.5k and have applied for one other event, not yet confirmed.
    Also planning to do a documented 45k swim in Italy, on a new sector - we'll see how it goes.

PasqualeSolo
  • PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember

@BogdanZ said:
    Also planning to do a documented 45k swim in Italy, on a new sector - we'll see how it goes.

In Italy.. where? And when? Thats my country.. very interested to know more if you can provide more info.

@Pasquale said:

@BogdanZ said:

In Italy.. where? And when? Thats my country.. very interested to know more if you can provide more info.

Hi Paquale, I am trying a route in the Capri area somewhere in same period with the clasic marathon, not intentionate. The route is not yet final, because I am trying to work it out with a local support and know how, to see what is possible, what not in sense of currents, boat trafic etc.

Pasquale
  • AzskiAzski ArizonaMember
    edited February 2020

@mke84, said; Out of curiosity - @Azski , what are you thinking for your Lake Michigan swim?

I have lots of swim ideas all around the Great Lakes. How about Island hopping across the entrance to Green Bay? There has been a recent(2019) MSF documented swim in Northern Green Bay.

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Not sharing my swimming goals anymore.....that's my new swimming goal. ;)

Copelj26evmoBogdanZIronMikedpm50
  • Ha ha
    MLamby cool)))
    Great swimming goal!

MLamby
  • abeabe australiaMember

I agree awesome goal

MLamby
  • mke84mke84 Milwaukee, WIMember

@azski - very cool! Whatever you decide to do, good luck! I did a sprint triathlon in Door County (the peninsula part of WI that's between Green Bay and Lake Michigan, if you're not familiar with the area) a few years back, but that's been about the extent of my swimming up there. It's a really pretty (though very crowded and touristy in the summer) area, plus if you're there for the weekend, can go out for a fish boil. Tasty tradition, highly recommend!

Azski
  • brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

@BogdanZ said:
    I will be Antibes 30k, Bosphor crossing 6.5k and have applied for one other event, not yet confirmed.

I'll be in Antibes, too.

And in July, another 30K (UltraEbre Swim), in Spain - but this one is downstream a river :) , so it's more like a 20K.

BogdanZ
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Swims I'm signed up for--God willing!

--Swim to the Moon 10k https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Gregory/SwimTotheMoon?remMeAttempt=
    --Swim the Suck 10 miles http://www.swimthesuck.org/register

3 that aren't open yet for registration: These plus Swim to the Moon should give me a nice progression toward StS
    --Schuylkill River Day Swimfest (this is typically in June, and entrants can choose a 5k, a mile, and/or a half mile swim. I did all three last year--great training!)
    --Great South Bay Swim (because I've become a regular there, and my friend who kayaked for me last year just offered today to kayak again) ~5.5 miles http://greatsouthbayswim.com/ (I hear different variations of the distance from 5.25 miles to 5.5 miles, so that's just a guess.)
    --Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim 8 miles (Website doesn't yet have this year's date)

Last August, I dit my longest ever swim, 11 miles (informal swim, not strictly per MSF rules, tho I didn't wear a wetsuit). My goal is not only for distance but for staying within MSF rules. I'm encouraged though by the fact that I have made a double digit distance--eac swim is a building block!

Bridget
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

@Trimom71 said:

I'm in also--very cool to see others on the forum are swimming it! Can't wait to meet you all! I'd been wanting to do it the past few years, and now in particular because my niece and her husband who live in the area have a new baby, so this gives me a double reason to travel to Chattanooga!

IronMikeTrimom71

@bruno said:

@BogdanZ said:

I'll be in Antibes, too.

And in July, another 30K (UltraEbre Swim), in Spain - but this one is downstream a river :) , so it's more like a 20K.

HAHAHA !! Nice! I wanted Ebre this year also, but had some funds issues.
    Maybe next year. I hope to get in Torroneos and have my family vacation in the same time.
    See you there!

• angel55angel55 Granada (Spain)Member

Strait of Gibraltar, skin of course. I thought I was going to have to wait longer but I've been lucky.

dpm50miklcct

Glad to see all the swimmers signed up for Swim the Suck, which I consider the "Homecoming" of the Marathon Swim Community*.

Soon someone (maybe me?) will start a Swim the Suck 2020 thread, in which we can all get together and plan a meet-up. If you can make it there early enough on Friday, be sure to attend Patty's Invitational warm-up swim. Good way to get a look at that beautiful river.

Also, I'm something of a MSF Brand Ambassador, so I'll be there in one of the many MSF t-shirts/sweats that I have. Easy to find me. ;)

*Been working on a post about this for a while...soon to be published.

thelittlemerwookieflystormsdpm50GoBlueTrimom71

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

@IronMike I will also be at StS, although probably not early enough for the warm-up swim. I was there last year as well but missed out on meeting many people!

IronMikedpm50