Measuring water temperature

Currently, I'm using a floating pool thermometer that I got at Walmart for measuring the lake temperature. I rigged a line with fishing weights to sink it below the surface of the water. I attached a fishing float (thanks Bass Pro Shop!) that I wind around one of the bungees on the kayak to keep it with us.

But, there's condensation in the casing...and it makes it hard to read.

What do YOU use to measure water temp?

For those who do their EC qualifying swims.... is there an expectation of some sort of official (e.g. the weather service) water temp usage? Or, is local temperature monitoring sufficient (thermometer over the side of the observation vessel)?

Comments

• ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member

a casio wrist watch: https://www.casio.com/products/watches/sports/sgw100-1v

I calibrated it in a lab and found it reads 1 deg C higher than it should do while wearing it in cold ( <10 deg C) water. The body heat obviously does have some effect on the reading. I assume the effect is less if in warm water, This can be compensated for in the settings of the watch,

• Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

Pool thermometer works well enough for me. It seems to be within a few degrees of published temps in the range of 50-80 degrees. Yes, water on the inside of the tube makes it hard to read sometimes. But I can gauge within 4 degrees.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Pool thermometer. I loop it around the strap of the buoy and it floats behind the buoy and me. Works good enough. Have had it for a number of years and so far no condensation.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• @IronMike said:
    Pool thermometer. I loop it around the strap of the buoy and it floats behind the buoy and me. Works good enough. Have had it for a number of years and so far no condensation.

Perhaps my sinking of the therm into the water caused the intrusion?
    hmmmmmmmmmmm.............

IronMike
  • DuganaddyDuganaddy Needham, MAMember

I have always used an aquarium thermometer. A brand name is HDE LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer. It makes it easy to get temperatures a foot or two down due to the wire the sensor is attached to.

They are available at any pet store for <$10 or on-line. I've never checked it's calibration, but it does seem to agree with other devices.

gregoc
  • @Duganaddy said:
    I have always used an aquarium thermometer. A brand name is HDE LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer. It makes it easy to get temperatures a foot or two down due to the wire the sensor is attached to.

They are available at any pet store for <$10 or on-line. I've never checked it's calibration, but it does seem to agree with other devices.

I've seen online ads for aquarium thermometers as well....and, the digital ones seem a bit more "user-proof" in terms of reading the actual temp.
    They really are more affordable than I'd thought they would be.

• SoOHIOSwimarathonerSoOHIOSwimarathoner Springboro Ohio Member

Went to Tennessee with friends for Thanksgiving last week and got some yards in Norris Lake. Used the turkey thermometer (after the meal) to check the water temp.
    Sara, as for EC training, local temp gauges is what I went with. If you’re doing it correctly you become the thermometer. If it feels cold, swim in it. Good luck.

• @SoOHIOSwimarathoner said:
    Went to Tennessee with friends for Thanksgiving last week and got some yards in Norris Lake. Used the turkey thermometer (after the meal) to check the water temp.
    Sara, as for EC training, local temp gauges is what I went with. If you’re doing it correctly you become the thermometer. If it feels cold, swim in it. Good luck.

Interestingly........
    the online reviews of the "best aquarium" thermometers all end up with a particular chef's thermometer on top. :)

SoOHIOSwimarathoner
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited December 2019

I am using one of these with 2 m cable - CNY 6.2 each from the Taobao shop I bought them - cheap enough to be bought in bulk (I ordered 4 in a row at the same time, such that I can use 3 at the same time and take the average)..

• BridgetBridget New York StateMember

I have a really cute pool thermometer with a turtle on it, and a fridge thermometer strung to it, and I will use both tied to my pull buoy if I'm testing the water before the boats are gone from the lake. When the water was still in the high 40s and low 50s, I'd tie them to a jumprope and drag them behind me while I got wet, then let them wash ashore or tossed them to the sand after getting a reading. Now, for ice mile, I have three digital thermometers- for indoor/outdoor, and they read in C or F. I put them in a baggie, the wires and sensors braided and hung over the side of my paddler's canoe, and if needed, he wraps the wires around a rock to sink them. They give me the air and water, and so far, so good. Batteries lasted most of the year. (I didn't remember to take them out.)

I thought about pet aquarium thermometers, but heard they aren't accurate at cold temperatures. . .

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I use my big toe.

Sologregoc
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

The toes knows

gregoc