Now Available - 2020 MSF Photo Calendars

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited May 2020 in General Discussion

Photos have been selected and the calendars are now available for purchase.

This year's cover is arguably the most iconic image of the year in our sport: the elegant curves of @ssthomas' 4-way English Channel GPS track, mapped on a custom Stamen watercolor tileset.

A big thank you to everyone for the submissions, and for supporting the MSF project.

Tagged:
ssthomaskejoycerlmStLucia_ChannelKarl_KingeryIronMikeSwimmersuzLakeBaggerGuyco111AnthonyMcCarleykiparizflystormsKatieBuncurly

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2019

The January photo has a story. A few MSF OGs were in SF - @emkhowley, @ssthomas, @malinaka and Erika. We went for a swim at one of my favorite spots, China Beach. Mr. Sarah Thomas (Ryan) snapped this as we headed out.

From China Beach you can swim either left (toward Lands End) or right (toward Baker Beach and the Golden Gate Bridge). We went right, at my unfortunate suggestion, and without checking the tide book. (My bad.) The swim down to the end of Baker Beach went suspiciously quickly. When we turned around to swim back, we made zero progress. So, we ended up making what I'm fairly sure was the longest beach-walk-of-shame of any of our lives, along the entire length of Baker Beach, to get back to Ryan and the cars.

Fun times!

ssthomasIronMikeKarl_KingeryLakeBaggerpavlicovCathyInCAthelittlemerwookieKate_AlexanderStLucia_ChannelemkhowleyBogdanZMoCoCopelj26KatieBunphodgeszohoAnthonyMcCarleywendyv34curly
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2019

February is Simon Freeman on a training swim in Manukau Harbour, Auckland, New Zealand - with glassy water and fog creating an effect so the sea blends almost seamlessly into the sky, the swimmer stroking through a watery ether. Lovely!

Kate_AlexanderStLucia_ChannelrlmthelittlemerwookieemkhowleyssthomasBogdanZKatieBunPasqualeAnthonyMcCarley
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    edited November 2019

@evmo said:
    The January photo has a story. A few MSF OGs were in SF - @emkhowley, @ssthomas, @malinaka and Erika. We went for a swim at one of my favorite spots, China Beach.

You left out the best part--how while sauntering back in the chilly drizzle of a late January (or early February) day, we passed all sorts of tourists bundled up in jackets and hats. One of them stopped us and took a picture of his kid with the four clearly insane people wandering around mostly naked and very wet in the cold air. Then, despite speaking not a word of English beyond "photo" he made crystal clear that he wanted to be in the next picture with us. BUT! It would only do to have us rearranged so that he would be in the middle, with Sarah and I on either side of him. I don't know when I last laughed that hard. This day, this "training swim" is still one of my most treasured marathon swimming memories.

I'd love to know where those photos ended up and what the comments on whichever social media platform they ended up on say.

I also had a longer walk of shame all by myself the day Sarah and I went out swimming from the house in Sandgate a couple days before her EC Quad swim. We went with the current. When it came time to turn around, I was in no mood to fight it. But then I had to contemplate whether walking the mile back over those god awful shingles was worth it or if I should just fight the current. And that's when I noticed there was a concrete path at the top of the beach that ran all along the sea front. Problem solved. I passed a lot of folks who were a little weirded out by me, moseying down the way in cap, suit and goggles. Ha.

evmossthomasKate_AlexanderAnthonyMcCarleyrlmSoloCopelj26KatieBunflystormsmolly1205

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

There's no shame in a walk of shame! Sometimes the ocean wins and a cold, wet saunter home is the rational thing to do. :-)

Kate_AlexanderrlmCopelj26BridgetSarah4140flystorms
  • I had a friend in college who had the goal to “be in family photo albums all over the world.” He would be out and about, see a family obviously taking photos.... and “arrange” to be in the shot wi5 the family. Sometimes he’d ask, most times he’d just photo bomb them. He swears he’s been memorialized in at least 25 different countries’ family albums. This was wayyyyy before social media, of course.

So, who knows.....maybe you’re the second phase of his pursuit of international familia, questioning over holiday meals..... “who’s that again???.”

@emkhowley said:

@evmo said:
    The January photo has a story. A few MSF OGs were in SF - @emkhowley, @ssthomas, @malinaka and Erika. We went for a swim at one of my favorite spots, China Beach.

You left out the best part--how while sauntering back in the chilly drizzle of a late January (or early February) day, we passed all sorts of tourists bundled up in jackets and hats. One of them stopped us and took a picture of his kid with the four clearly insane people wandering around mostly naked and very wet in the cold air. Then, despite speaking not a word of English beyond "photo" he made crystal clear that he wanted to be in the next picture with us. BUT! It would only do to have us rearranged so that he would be in the middle, with Sarah and I on either side of him. I don't know when I last laughed that hard. This day, this "training swim" is still one of my most treasured marathon swimming memories.

I'd love to know where those photos ended up and what the comments on whichever social media platform they ended up on say.

I also had a longer walk of shame all by myself the day Sarah and I went out swimming from the house in Sandgate a couple days before her EC Quad swim. We went with the current. When it came time to turn around, I was in no mood to fight it. But then I had to contemplate whether walking the mile back over those god awful shingles was worth it or if I should just fight the current. And that's when I noticed there was a concrete path at the top of the beach that ran all along the sea front. Problem solved. I passed a lot of folks who were a little weirded out by me, moseying down the way in cap, suit and goggles. Ha.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2019

March

Thank you @BogdanZ for submitting this photo from your IJsselmeer swim this year in what appear to be fairly hairy conditions.

Copelj26thelittlemerwookieBogdanZKatieBunPasqualeAnthonyMcCarleyStLucia_Channel
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

April is @ssthomas in Blue Mesa Reservoir, Colorado during her pioneering double-crossing this August (documented here). Another stunning shot by Ryan Willis.

thelittlemerwookieSwimmersuzBogdanZKatieBunPasqualeAnthonyMcCarleylakesprayStLucia_ChannelSarah4140
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

May is a striking reflection photo by Ian Conroy, of Dee Newell swimming a leg of an unprecedented relay across the Irish Sea. Five hands!

KatieBunPasqualeBogdanZthelittlemerwookieAnthonyMcCarleyGuyco111StLucia_ChannelSarah4140wendyv34
  • @evmo said:
    May is a striking reflection photo by Ian Conroy, of Dee Newell swimming a leg of an unprecedented relay across the Irish Sea. Five hands!

So odd! Love how the droplets seem to connect some of the hands. (Took me a while to find the 5th though!)

evmo
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Arrived today. Love it!!!! Thanks Evan

evmoBogdanZSwimmersuzJSwimAnthonyMcCarleyrlm
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Have the 2020 calendar ready to go, just behind the 2019. :)

evmoAnthonyMcCarley

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

Received mine today. Awesome photos. Thanks very much for sending it, Evan and congrats to all photographers.

BogdanZ
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2020

Still a few calendars left. https://marathonswimmers.org/photo-calendar/2020/

June is an amazing telescopic shot by a photojournalist covering Tita Llorens' unprecedented 90 km Ibiza Channel swim last year:

Copelj26kejoyceBogdanZIronMikeStLucia_Channel
  • StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member
    edited January 2020

Today, I finally was able to share the calendar with our Tourism Authority. They were extremely impressed by the quality of the calendar and all the pictures. It has sparked even more of their interest in helping to promote our warm water channel from Saint Lucia to Martinique.
    Thank you again ! We just love it!

BogdanZevmorlm
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2020

A few 2020 photo calendars remain in the MSF "warehouse." In the hope of clearing this inventory, they're now on sale for less than half-price - $9 for the first and $7 for additional, with free shipping. Both Sunday-Saturday and Monday-Sunday formats available.

If you're emerging from quarantine and hoping to salvage some swims from the remainder of the year, this makes a decent 7-month training log!

Order Here

Mr. August is Anthony McCarley, making his 6th consecutive appearance in the calendar. This is the Rio de la Plata in Argentina.

IronMikeStLucia_ChannelBogdanZ