Swim Trek Mallorca

nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
I was wondering if any members are going to go to Mallorca for the Swim Trek Long Distance training week. It has previously been held in Gozo, and I was really looking forward to traveling to Gozo, and Malta. It has been relocated to Mallorca this year and the reason given was due to the abundance of jellyfish in Gozo. Anyone planning to go, there are 4 different sessions in April. Has anyone traveled to Mallorca, and can offer advice?

Comments

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    I attended the SwimTrek Gozo training Long Distance training camp this year from April 14th-19th. I successfully swam the English Channel on 23rd July 2012.

Gozo is a stunning place and the hotel chosen by Swimtrek was perfect for the swim group. The food in Gozo is plentiful and delicious. It's a shame that the camp has been moved, but the jellyfish caused real problems this year.

The jellyfish in Gozo were a nightmare! I am not exaggerating, there is no point in me doing that. All of the swims were in bays and the guides had to keep moving the planned swims each morning based on the reports of jellyfish in the respective bays. They were primarily the mauve stingers (very pretty to look at but the stings do hurt!). There were also a few small brown ones which really hurt.

Over the course of each day the jellyfish would make their way further into the bay and closer to the surface, presumably as it got warmer. The guides were out on the rib with buckets and nets removing them - I saw pictures afterwards of buckets full of the purple blighters.

As the jellies moved further into the bay each day you could see a wall of purple approaching, the guides would shorten the swim loop to restrict the number of stings. We all got stung multiple times.

I can genuinely say that my 6 hour qualifier in Gozo was the hardest swim I have ever done! I ended up breaststroking through the patches where the jellyfish were more abundant to avoid getting stung. However, it did work. My 16 hour Channel crossing seemed easier - I was only stung twice by jellyfish on my Channel swim, but after the purple ones in Gozo they were baby stings! (I wrote up my account of the 6 hr swim with added jellies here http://zoesadler.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/gozo-swimtrek-day-4-the-six-hour-swim/ )

The SwimTrek LDT course is definitely worth attending - but a few less jellies would be very welcome! I can understand why Swimtrek have chosen to move the camp this year.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Great blog about your EC adventure, Zoe. Are you still blogging elsewhere?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

IronMike wrote:
    Great blog about your EC adventure, Zoe. Are you still blogging elsewhere?

Thank you Mike.

Erm, I confess that I haven't done a huge amount of swimming since the EC in July. I took 5 weeks off, then swam Lake Windermere and have struggled to get motivated since then. I find it really difficult to focus unless I have something planned.

However, I have booked myself another big swim in 2014 and arranged to meet some folks at a beach tomorrow so hopefully I'll be back in business again soon!

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    Zoe, thanks for the information on the Gozo swim. That is unfortunate that you and others had to endure the jellies. I just wonder if they are any less abundant in Mallorca - I was soo looking forward to Gozo and Malta, but hearing your account lessens the disappointment and I will reconsider going to Mallorca. I have been reading with interest your blogs and had followed your progress on the Channel Swimmers page on Facebook. Congratulations on a fantastic swim! A few months off is well deserved! You will be fresh and eager for 2014. Can you share what swim you will doing?

• MandaiMandai Charter Member
    I've done a 10km and 25km swim on Mallorca (based in Sant Jordi) this summer and can highly recommend it. Chilly (to cold) water, no jellies, sea not too salty, just perfect. I'll go there again this year for a week of swims at the BestFest: http://bestopenwater.com/

May 26th - morning 5 km / afternoon: Relay: 4 x 500m
    May 27th - 4 km
    May 28th - 7 km
    May 29th - 2.5 km
    May 30th - 7.5 km / 2.5 km
    May 31st - 1.5 km
    June 1st - 25 km

Tobias
    Mandai, Do you recall the temps in May and June? The Swim Trek swims are in April.
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    Don't know really, but this could give a clue, you might be looking at 15-19C.
    http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Son-Serra-de-Marina/seatemp
    Thanks Mandai, for the link!
    nvr2late wrote:
    A few months off is well deserved! You will be fresh and eager for 2014. Can you share what swim you will doing?

Thank you. I'm doing Round Jersey in August 2014. That one should be good fun and scenic. I'm already excited about that one.

I'm also hoping to do 2-way Windermere in 2013 but that's a really big ask as I will need 2 crew who are willing and able to row for 13-14 hours for me including throughout the night.

And the good news is I went swimming in the sea today and loved it!
    Zoe, I wish you well on your swims!
    Niek, I am planning to go the 3rd week - April 20 -25th. What an opportunity to swim under the instruction of Mr. Murphy and Golding!
    nvr2late wrote:
    Niek, I am planning to go the 3rd week - April 20 -25th. What an opportunity to swim under the instruction of Mr. Murphy and Golding!

It might be worth checking if they are going to be there that week before you book. I don't think the email implied that Kevin and Cliff would both be there for all 4 weeks.

This year in Gozo (2012) Nick Adams was there for weeks 1 & 2, Freda Streeter was there for weeks 3 & 4, Cliff Golding was there for weeks 4 & 5. I did week 3 so our special guest guide for the week was Freda plus we had three other Swimtrek guides - Fiona (also a Channel soloist), Mia and Chris.
    Zoe, I was told in an email by Simon that Kevin and Cliff will be there during the 3rd and 4th weeks, and Fiona Southwell has just come on board for all four weeks. I will probably book week 3 - April 20 - 25. What was the average water temp the week that you were in Gozo?
    I have just received email that Fiona Southwell will also be in Mallorca for the 4 weeks.