Horsetooth 10K-Swimming at Altitude

EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

I'm thinking about celebrating my 70th birthday with the Horsetooth 10K in 2020. I've done well at sea level (Boston Light, Potomac River Swim, Lido Key and others), my question is if I show up Friday evening and swim Sunday at the Horsetooth event, how big a challenge will the altitude present considering I'll have virtually no aclimization? Any other flatlanders out there swim Horsetooth? Any lessons to pass on?
Thanks

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Horsetooth is my favorite. You'll be fine. Just don't go out too fast. Drink extra water. Skip the booze until after the event.

lakespray
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Thanks Sara, I'll give it a shot..
    I'm really looking forward to watching "The Other Side". Your team did a great job of keeping us all in the loop as you swam, and swam, and swam, and...

Solossthomaslakespray
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

@Ellis of course your personal budget dependent, but might monitor for cheap flights to Denver for June, for a possible training weekend or extended weekend with Colorado Represents Open Water (CROWS) we have a Facebook page. Attend some of our regular training swims and see how you feel and if any training adjustments are needed.

ssthomas
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Thanks Lakespray, my daughter had a similar suggestion. Since my sister has retired to Denver, looks like a visit to the high country is in order.

ssthomas