END-WET 2020

LsmetterLsmetter Monroe, WINew Member

Registration for END-WET 2020 is open and I'm registered. Who else is in? For those of your seasoned veterans out there, any advice for newbies?__

Comments

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Definitely considering it!

• Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member

Registered, first time was really fun so figured why not do it again

rxleakem
  • KagemushaKagemusha Honolulu Member
    edited October 2019

I have not registered yet, but it is on my calendar for 2020.

• LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

I enjoyed it in 2018--felt the camaraderie was excellent and a nice group of folks running it. The river is as brown as it looks in photos and I recommend doing your best not to drink it. I trained a lot more than I had in awhile leading up to it and was glad I did, because it made the adventure a lot more enjoyable. You never know how fast the current will be running, so it's best to prepare as much as a you can. I think the best part was the mental boost from getting pulled down the river even when stopping for feeds. Even when you're resting you're making progress :)

Kate_AlexanderBridget
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

Same here - did it in 2018 and it is looong and brown but also peaceful and a great training ground so I def recommend it to anyone wanting to increase mileage or to just enjoy a long river swim

LakeBagger
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

I loved END-WET so much and hope to get back someday. Looks unlikely for 2020, but who knows. Maybe I can cram it in somehow.

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• sosophiaphiasosophiaphia Colorado USAMember
    edited October 2019

Following. It's on my list for next year if I can swing it. I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet -- I'm only swimming about 25K SCY weekly right now, the longest swim of my life is 5.5 hours (though I could've kept going), and so on. But there will always be excuses I suppose, so part of me is inclined to just give it a try!

Bridget

To you all who have completed END WET in the past, do you think it is feasible to train for it entirely in the pool? How does it compare to 20 bridges in difficulty?

sosophiaphiaCopelj26
  • LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

I did all my training in the pool with the exception of a couple sundays (1.5 hr, 3 hrs) in May at the lake. Obviously more boring than in open water, but totally fine. Haven’t done 20 bridges yet so I’ll leave that to the others.

@abbygirlrose said:
    To you all who have completed END WET in the past, do you think it is feasible to train for it entirely in the pool? How does it compare to 20 bridges in difficulty?

sosophiaphia

@LakeBagger, Thanks! I don't think our lake (Chicago) will be warm enough for much training before the June date.

LakeBagger
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

@abbygirlrose the pool is perfect for training for this swim. The water is fairly warm in the river, so you don’t need any cold conditioning. Hmm not sure how I’d compare it to MIMS, as I did them so far apart. I got two very fast years for Endwet.
    Love love love EndWet!!! Have to do it again one day. I have a blog post about it I’ll find the link for

@abbygirlrose yes, same Lake Michigan issue, I did all my training in the pool

• BHillBHill Des Moines, IAMember

@ChickenOSea said:
    @abbygirlrose the pool is perfect for training for this swim. The water is fairly warm in the river, so you don’t need any cold conditioning.

Does anybody have some historical data for the water temp for EndWet?

I signed up!

Copelj26LakeBaggerrxleakem

Where is the best place to fly in to?

• LsmetterLsmetter Monroe, WINew Member

@BHill said:

@ChickenOSea said:
    @abbygirlrose the pool is perfect for training for this swim. The water is fairly warm in the river, so you don’t need any cold conditioning.

Does anybody have some historical data for the water temp for EndWet?

There’s a lot of historical data on river temp, speed, level on the race website for the past several years.

@abbygirlrose I flew in to Fargo and rented a car from there. Had more flight choices from Chicago to Fargo

abbygirlrose
  • BHillBHill Des Moines, IAMember

@Lsmetter said:

There’s a lot of historical data on river temp, speed, level on the race website for the past several years.

I'm really hoping that the water temp is not 82 like it has been in years past

• endracingendracing Grand Forks, NDMember

Hi folks! We just announced that our 2020 guest swimmer will be Sarah Thomas. We figured that a quad crossing of the English Channel warranted a second invite (beside that fact that she's a wonderful human being).

Announcement: https://endracing.com/blog/end-wet-guest-swimmer

Copelj26lakesprayssthomasMLambyIronMikedanslosJustSwimflystormsthelittlemerwookiegregocrxleakemKatieBun
  • rxleakemrxleakem Southwestern Vermont, USAMember

I've signed up as well. Airbnb booked, I can get a direct flight to Minneapolis so will get some travel stuff in before and after the swim. Should be a fun adventure!

Copelj26

<))><