8 mile marathon swim, 5k, and relay event in the Philly area, 8/30

dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Hey folk, this tis the 5th year of the Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim. A new event has been added this year, a downstream 5k!
Check it out here...

https://www.imathlete.com/#/legacy?url=/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=71849&z=1564608304507

And/or contact @John_Kenny race director.

ruthStLucia_ChannelKari33

Comments

• ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

See you at the 8 mile!

Kari33Bridget
  • Kari33Kari33 PennsylvaniaNew Member
    edited September 2019

Awesome day for an 8 miler on Friday. ☀️It was my first Bender swim, and I look forward to next year’s event. Good all-around vibe, good people, and most importantly great post-swim eats and drinks.

Nice swimming there @ruth!

ruthdpm50Bridget
  • ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

Thanks, you too @Kari33

Kari33
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Lovely event- so glad I went. :smiley:

dpm50Kari33
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

So glad to see forum folk in person! Congrats to you all! I opted for the 5k this year, as it's a new event and I always enjoy trying new things. The current was slower than in past years, but I was in no rush. It was a delightful swim-- a her on flew by near me. It was so peaceful swimming all downriver, and the pirate barge finish was a great touch! Only thing is, I was in such a zone that had I not looked to my left when I did, I might have just kept going to the 8 mile turn. :)

After the swim, there was a truly amazing bbq, with all kinds of breakfast and lunch goodies plus generous supply of adult beverages!

@John_Kenny has put his own stamp on this swim founded and first directed by Charles Bender. (John, btw, won the first edition of the race! As RD he now takes care of the rest of us!)

The food should be a Best of Philly post-race spread delivered by John's girlfriend, Christina Cunningham!

I'll be back next year, health and $ permitting. I've experienced the 8 miler, the relay, and the 5k. Not sure which one will be next! But I do know it'll be a good experience!

PS @AnthonyMcCarley come join us! You're local!

IronMikeKari33
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

@dpm50 Sounds like a fun swim and a great time. I will try to make it next year. (This year I'm saving all my energy for some November swims.) Thank you for thinking of me.

dpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

@AnthonyMcCarley said:
    @dpm50 Sounds like a fun swim and a great time. I will try to make it next year. (This year I'm saving all my energy for some November swims.) Thank you for thinking of me.

Hope you can make it, Anthony! Would be great to see you!