Cornhusker State Games Open Water Swimming

molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Hi, swimmers- I cordially invite you to the Nebraska's largest sporting event, the Cornhusker State Games, featuring open water swims of 1 mile, 5K and 10K races. This is a well supported swim in beautiful Branched Oak Lake near Lincoln, Nebraska, where I have logged many happy miles (well, most of them were happy) and one of the few events in the Midwest with a 10K option. I can help find a volunteer support kayaker if needed. You, too, can be a part of Swimmers of the Corn! Registration open until July 13. http://www.cornhuskerstategames.com/aquatics_open-water-swimming

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

JustSwimsuziedodsIronMikeCopelj26rlmJaimiessthomasStLucia_Channel

Comments

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I can't recommend this highly enough. VERY well organized, WARM water, fun people ! Plus the university has it's OWN ICE CREAM STORE!! I mean.. what's not to like!!
    Oh and Molly and Paul.. ( :)

molly1205JustSwimIronMikeflystormsJaimiessthomas
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Hi swimmers! I've extended the registration deadline for the Cornhusker State Games Open Water Swimming events, scheduled for Saturday, July 28, at Branched Oak Lake near Lincoln, Nebraska. There are 100 meter ($10), 1 mile ($50), 5K ($60) and 10K ($85) options to choose from. I have excellent volunteer support kayakers for those who need a paddler for the 10K. FRIDAY is the final registration deadline! http://www.cornhuskerstategames.com/aquatics_open-water-swimming

IronMikeBHill

• BHillBHill Des Moines, IAMember

I'm interested, just sent you an email with some questions on it

molly1205

Replied! Thanks for your interest.

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

This is tempting, but it's such a far distance away..

molly1205

Oh, I wish you could make it, Tim! Would love to see you and your family :-)

It's back and better than ever! Nebraska is more than cornfields - we have a few decent lakes, too. This is a well supported, inexpensive swim with 1 mile, 5K and 10K races. Come swim with us at the Cornhusker State Games! https://www.cornhuskerstategames.com/sports/aquatics-open-water-swimming/

Time is running down to register for the Cornhusker State Games open water swimming event at beautiful Branched Oak Lake just north of Lincoln, Nebraska, on Saturday, July 27. So far, I only have 1 swimmer doing the 10K, which is such a shame because the course is nice and long - just two loops along the dam instead of swimming in a triangle for days. I'd love to see some of our Marathon Forum members participate! All the deets here: https://www.cornhuskerstategames.com/sports/aquatics-open-water-swimming/

• Hi @molly1205 , I've bookmarked your site for a "next year" event for me. This is my first year doing focused longer OWS but since I've not ever been to NE before, this will be a good excuse next year!

molly1205flystorms

Sara- We have 1 mile and 5K distances, too!

• @molly1205 said:
    Sara- We have 1 mile and 5K distances, too!

Thanks....
    I've got a 10k that's a bit more local to me soon after this already scheduled for my one and only this year. But, next year, hope to get more under my belt.

molly1205

We had a fantastic open water swimming event last Saturday. The weather was perfect, the lake temp about 82F and, most importantly, a safely run event with lots of swimmer firsts and PRs. Hope to see more marathon swimming friends there next year: July 25, 2020!

Kate_AlexanderSoloIronMike

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Great photos! Looks like a beautiful venue, and could @suziedods 's grin be any bigger in that photo?

molly1205

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

Cornhusker State Games Open Water Swim:
    July 25, 2020, at Branched Oak Lake, near Lincoln, Nebraska
    1 mile, 5K and 10K events
    Least expensive open water event anywhere - other than DIY. Plenty of volunteer kayakers are ready to support your 10K swim. The lake is clean, though a bit murky, and warm - usually around 80-82 degrees in late July.
    The swim is well supported, great food, friendly swimmers and lots of fun. Big medals :-)
    And Lincoln is a great city to visit - really! We have a wonderful natural history museum full of dinosaurs and fossils of underwater creatures that roamed the prehistoric ocean that once covered Nebraska, award winning craft breweries, the beautiful state Capitol building, more than 100 miles of bike trails, an incredible Children's Zoo and Runzas (Google it).
    Registration will open in early January. Hope you can join us!

StLucia_Channelswimfreeordie

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

@molly1205 said:

award winning craft breweries, the beautiful state Capitol building, more than 100 miles of bike trails, an incredible Children's Zoo and Runzas (Google it).

I have in-laws in Omaha and every time we visit I bring home a cooler full of Runzas and freeze them to snack on at my leisure.

molly1205

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

The Cornhusker State Games Open Water Swimming event is scheduled for Saturday, July 24, 2021, at Branched Oak Lake near Lincoln, Nebraska. It's a well supported OWS event in a beautiful lake with 1 mile, 5K and 10K distances. I can get you connected with a volunteer kayaker for the 10K.

Registration closes July 16! https://www.cornhuskerstategames.com/sports/aquatics-open-water-swimming

abbygirlroseevmoSpacemanspiff

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Oooh, I would love to do this 10k. Maybe not this year but sometime!

molly1205