Toughest Thirteen (T13)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Triple Crown of the "Impossible".

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2020

Introducing the MSF Toughest Thirteen (T13): to inspire marathon swimmers seeking lesser-known, less frequently swum waters offering unique and extraordinary challenges.

• ʻAlenuihāhā Channel (Hawaii)
    • Beltquerung (Germany/Denmark)
    • Dál Riata Channel (Ireland/Scotland)
    • Derwent River (Tasmania)
    • False Bay (South Africa)
    • Fastnet Rock (Ireland)
    • Foveaux Strait (New Zealand)
    • Gulf of the Farallones (Calif., USA)
    • Loch Ness (Scotland)
    • Monterey Bay (Calif., USA)
    • Round-Trip Angel Island (Calif., USA)
    • Strait of Juan de Fuca (Wash., USA / B.C., Canada)
    • Lago Titicaca (Peru/Bolivia)

https://marathonswimmers.org/marathon-swims/toughest

PS -- ALL IN GOOD FUN

StLucia_ChannelKatieBun
  • StLucia_ChannelStLucia_Channel Saint Lucia Member

Be nice to see what Caribbean "toughies" are out there to add to this list.

flystorms
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2020

Since the announcement of the T13 there have been:

• 5 Round-Trip Angel Island swims
    • 2 Fastnet swims
    • 1 Monterey Bay swim
    • 1 Strait of Juan de Fuca swim
    • 1 Derwent River swim

A few of these swimmers specifically mentioned the T13 as inspiration/motivation, which is cool!

One bit of constructive feedback I've gotten is there aren't enough warm water swim challenges, outside the ʻAlenuihāhā Channel.

So I'm putting this out to the community:

Which warm-water swim deserves to be on this list, and which of the existing T13 would you replace?

Criteria:

• Repeatable route defined by natural geographical features.
    • Established but infrequently swum: at least two successes but fewer than any of the O7.
    • Significant history of failed swim attempts.
    IronMike
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Cuba to Florida! /snort/

( @evmo please delete if not funny.)

flystormsMvG

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

What makes Monterey Bay so tough? How about there to Point Lobos?

• abeabe australiaMember

What do you think is the toughest - my pick Foveaux Strait even though Cook Strait is in 07

BogdanZ
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

@abe said:
    What do you think is the toughest - my pick Foveaux Strait even though Cook Strait is in 07

Given its the same organisation, with the same timeliness of response - Foveaux Strait might have the same succes in love and appreciation for timeliness as the Cook Strait got to have.

MvGGlobalSwimmer
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@BogdanZ said:
    Given its the same organisation, with the same timeliness of response - Foveaux Strait might have the same succes in love and appreciation for timeliness as the Cook Strait got to have.

As far as I know there is no association for Foveaux. It is eligible for MSF Documented Swims as an independently organized swim.

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

You are right, I haven't found an association for that. But also not for Lake Taupo .
    Yet, the podcasts on succesfull swims I listened to, at least for Taupo, included the presence of an omni presence in that region. An omni presence that is highly regarded and respected, yet, given the speeds of non-answering to messages - left me with this wound and impression that you would like to have this one person's assistance for perfect support, if you get to have the attention. My bad on the organisation. I think these 2-3 post could be deleted - to keep the focus on topic.

GlobalSwimmerMvG
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

I still think the 26 mile Cornwall to Scilly swim belongs on that fabulous list, @evmo ;)

evmoMvG
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

@evmo said:
    As far as I know there is no association for Foveaux. It is eligible for MSF Documented Swims as an independently organized swim.

@evmo: in the case of an unresponsive association, could a swim then become eligible for MSF Documented Swims as an independently organized swim?

IronMikephodgeszoho
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2020

@MvG said: in the case of an unresponsive association, could a swim then become eligible for MSF Documented Swims as an independently organized swim?

From the beginning of MSF Documented Swims we've been very clear that its purpose is not to undermine legitimate local associations. But yes, I believe swimmers should have an option to independently ratify swims when a local association is failing in its service mission.

A better outcome in such cases is for a second local organization to pick up the slack - as we saw a few years ago in the transition from NYC Swim to NY Open Water.

What are the criteria for a legitimate local association, and how do we determine if one is failing? No simple answers, but I hope we can develop some consensus on it soon.

MvGphodgeszohoIronMikeBogdanZ
  • abeabe australiaMember

i am about to attempt my first of T13 in the Derwent as got a slot for upcoming season - i am looking at getting as many of these as possible if anyone has contacts for any of the other organizations. Val K is easy to contact and great character

MvG