sh2out

Curious about this controversy.... any UK based members care to comment?

Sh2out is a partnership between the British Triathlon and the Royal Life Saving Society. They seem to think that they can give accreditation to swim organisations and venues to confirm that they are safe.
The sh2out campaign will introduce false claims of safety as well as unwanted rules and regulations. It has the potential to impose the authority to allow swimming in some venues and restrict others. A longer term potential could encourage the introduction of wide spread access fees or admission fees. As people have had the right to swim in British waters for free for centuries this could become a significant infringment on swimmers' liberty.

Comments

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Would this ban swimming at non "accredited" venues?

• PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember
    edited June 2019

I am not from UK, but where I live in Belgium there are very restrictive rules for open water swimming which drive me really mad. Basically you need to be member of a club and ask a license to be able to swim in any open water body, lakes or sea, they also require to be always in 2 minimum and worst of the worst you need to wear a wetsuite even if outside is 30 degree.. Exceptions are possible in races or special events.
    Being an Italian and having born next to the sea this is unacceptable for me and I use to brake the rules anyway, but I take my risk of getting a fine or even worst creating problems for the other people of the club I am member.
    I hope they don't go in the same direction in UK. But I see this as a general problem in our society, we are submerged by rules limiting our freedom in many possible way. We are sacrificing our lives to the sake of safety.. Anything that can be perceived as risky for the average person will be soon regulated and constrained.. and at the end commercialized and quantified.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic but I really get mad when I hear things like that.

FlowSwimmersslknightKatieBunlakespraySpacemanspiffBogdanZ
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@SimonGriffiths might have some comments as he and his awesome magazine Outdoor Swimmer are probably following sh2out closely.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

It means more regulation in many "pay to swim" venues... and probably more stringent safety shackles. The venues have to pay to be accredited. I'm just glad nobody can make the sea into an accredited venue. (I'd like to see somebody try!) Cornwall, my county, has 296 miles of coastline. It makes up 47% of the south west coastal path. Regulate that! o:)

evmokejoyceIronMike
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2019

What is the incentive to be "accredited"?

IronMike

I can only assume that the venue organisers are supposed to think they will attract more swimmers because those swimmers will feel "safe". I've read the website guff and, to be totally honest, I just can't see the point of it at all.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@KatieBun said:
    Cornwall, my county, has 296 miles of coastline. It makes up 47% of the south west coastal path.

We visited your county in 2010. Bro teg yw! Oll an gwella, Mike

KatieBun

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

I only understand the second part, @IronMike I'm sure you'll explain the first part dreckly.

IronMike