North Channel Swimming Association

QuintonQuinton Member
edited February 2019 in General Discussion

As the senior pilot on the North Channel, I have read with interest the comments in other areas of the forum
Up to this year 2019 the only sanctioning body here was the ILDSA.
Most of the swimmers who attempt the North Channel, Ireland to Scotland, are participating in the oceans Seven challenge.
Couple of years ago, one of our swimmers who completed the arduous task was accused in writing by the faceless ratifier belonging to ILDSA of cheating, based solely on a badly positioned photo, as was his observer and by association, myself as pilot.
Despite much communication and the witness reports of other pilots and observers there on the day, ILDSA refused for months to acknowledge there was no cheating and it took the threat of legal action for them to finally agree they were wrong and apologise to the swimmer, ratifying his swim. Neither I or the observer have ever had an apology
After much deliberation a new organisation, recognised by the major swimming bodies has been formed, www.northchannelswimming.com this new organisation does not run on bureaucracy, it is made up of level headed people including the swimmer and observer in this article.
As a pilot with some experience of success on the North Channel, I strongly suggest this new organisation is the way forward and look forward to working with their respected observers / ratifiers in the seasons ahead. I certainly recommend any swimmers contemplating the North Channel, should contact WWW.northchannelswimming.com and see just how helpful they are.
Quinton Nelson North Channel pilot.

Related threads:

Tagged:
SoloIronMikeBogdanZ

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2019

@Quinton, thanks for your post.

Will the new organization (NCSA) recognize swimmers who choose to go through ILDSA with their observers & ratification process?

Or will there now be two competing lists of North Channel swims?

MvGStLucia_Channel
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

Or will there now be two competing lists of North Channel swims?

I hope not!

evmo
  • QuintonQuinton Member
    edited March 2019

I have no doubt all swims will be recognised.
    ILDSA is now under new management and it remains to be seen if they can knock it back into shape.
    What everyone needs to understand, no-one owns the rights to the sea, no-one controls who can swim in it or where, all any organisation can do is support the swimmer and help in anyway they can.

evmoMvGFlowSwimmersKarl_KingeryIronMikessthomas
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2019

@Quinton said: What everyone needs to understand, no-one owns the rights to the sea, no-one controls who can swim in it or where, all any organisation can do is support the swimmer and help in anyway they can.

A fine sentiment indeed! Are the ILDSA trying to own the sea and control who can swim and where they can swim?

It's a serious question, I honestly don't know all the gory details of what's happening over there. I looked at their website - http://www.northchannel.info/ - and it all looks pretty standard to me, though notably I can't find which specific people are involved.

How does NCSA plan to operate differently and better than ILDSA?

BogdanZgregocssthomasrlmWebstem67