What are your swimming goals for 2019?

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited January 2019 in Cheering Section

Thanks for the push and shove, @curly. Ladies and gents, the 2019 swimming goals thread.

Let's hear 'em! Whatcha gonna do this year?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

BogdanZBridget

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

What kind of person would I be if I started this thread and didn't contribute?

This year I'll swim and finish the Boston Light Swim. I volunteered last year, so that means I get to skip the lottery this year. I also was lucky enough to crew for @Bridget last year, so got a look at the course and how the swim is run, and found an awesome pilot. Just praying for sun.

I'll also redo the two swims in Salem, if I'm not traveling for work. Loved those swims this year (2 miles and 5k) and oh so close.

I'm also hoping I'll be fast enough on 1 Feb to get a spot again at Swim the Suck.

That's about it, besides any other small swims I can find along the way. How about you guys?

BridgetKatie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• BridgetBridget New York StateMember

I'm working to fully utilize Lake George. :D After the VERY challenging cold of BLS last year [see IronMIke's account of how I screamed upon entry], I have worked to adapt to colder water. I hope to finish an Ice Mile after ice season- my main winter support team went south, but should be back before the water is up past FiveC.

There was a thread in this group about a TenC TenK once upon a time. Since I'm feeling ok for shorter distances at FiveC, I think a TenC TenK is a realistic goal- just need to plot a course in Lake George. Hague to Ticonderoga may do it- or Silver Bay to Ticonderoga.

Also, planning another solo of Lake George- hopefully the cold training will open up my window of opportunity and make finding crew support easier. [Hint.] Not sure I'd try the low Sixties in early June, but I am hoping to not spend twenty hours feeling chilled. And REALLY hoping to not need twenty eight total. ;)

I do hope to shift to the Hudson more in the next few years- Twenty and Eight Bridges sound great. . . . But for now, I think Lake George- and a few small road trips- can keep me busy. That lake won't swim itself.

IronMike
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

I'm going to swim the Rottnest and hopefully I get into IJsselmeer. Around those two probably i'll get in some ~10k's ows in my country.

IronMikeBridget
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Key Lido in April, Anacapa in July, and Tahoe in August!

BridgetIronMikeDRichAlex_Arevalo
  • DocScottDocScott Redwood City, CaliforniaMember

Swim Anacapa, bike 475 miles from Ventura to Lake Tahoe, then swim Tahoe true width. This will complete CA triple and Tahoe triple. Additionally, I want to kayak support a swim or two, as I have never done that (I can't crew on a large boat as seasickness is my middle name!!)

BridgetBogdanZabbygirlrose
  • kiparizkipariz New JerseyMember

Cape May, NJ in June, Alcatraz in July, Lake George, NY and Dardanelles Strait, Turkey in August... and 1-milers in between... I will try and sign up for some swims in September and hoping to do Barbados this year again...

BogdanZ

kipariz said:
    Cape May, NJ in June, Alcatraz in July, Lake George, NY and Dardanelles Strait, Turkey in August... and 1-milers in between... I will try and sign up for some swims in September and hoping to do Barbados this year again...

Let me know when you are going to swim Lake George- Diane's Rock benefits from a bit of attention so it isn't slippery- and Jim and Joan put solar lights on it for me. ;) Do you have crew and everything? I'm also hoping to solo. It might be cool to overlap, but I'd love to be in the loop.

kipariz
  • KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

Hoping for Chesapeake in June (ugh, didn't get in the first round), SF Bay Swims in May/June, Catalina Channel in August, and the Bridges to Bluffs 10k in September.

Also, working to source a few other east coast swims that I can capitalize on.

• kiparizkipariz New JerseyMember

Bridget said:

kipariz said:

Let me know when you are going to swim Lake George- Diane's Rock benefits from a bit of attention so it isn't slippery- and Jim and Joan put solar lights on it for me. ;) Do you have crew and everything? I'm also hoping to solo. It might be cool to overlap, but I'd love to be in the loop.

The swim date is set for Aug. 17 in Hague, NY and they have 2.5K, 5K and 10K races

• miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited January 2019

I have just joined the squad training of my university's triathlon club last October, and the club itself this year, after 4 years I found it out but couldn't join it due to its minimum requirement.

I have now a very concrete goal - to complete my first marathon swimming race (>= 10 km), before March 2020, anywhere in the world.

I currently swim 5 to 6 sessions per normal working week, 1 to 2 of them are squad training, and 1 open water session, with about 11 to 13 km total, and expect to increase the training amount afterwards when a pool is available in early morning.

And I have just met a handsome man in the club who has done the channel solo, but I am still not committed to the channel yet. I would like to complete the above goal first, as it will be a good indicator whether I am ready for the challenge.

I also want to get faster because at this point I'm so slow that I can't even make cut-offs in some of the longer races in my region.

IronMikeKatieBunSteffenie
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

I'm struggling to find one this year. I am back to training 20-25K per week and would love a goal. Living in Wisconsin makes it tough as travel and crew costs for really fun/unique/attainable swims can be really cost prohibitive. SAKW cost us, in total, over $2,000.00 last year. Would love to do St. Lucia, but registration ALONE is $2200.00. I am toying with the idea of doing a double crossing (there and back) of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin in order to cut out most costs. I've done it one way twice, and it may be a fun and massive challenge to be the first to do it both ways (26-27K). We'll see....fingers crossed.

JustSwimBridget
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Working mostly on my pool time through June to be ready for my first Senior (!) Games Nationals meet. I have some very specific times I want to hit for the free events and think it's possible. After that, I'll need to find a couple of OW swims. Vacation is very limited this year so I may only get to do stuff I can travel to for a quick weekend, such as the USMS 10k Nationals.

Jaimie

@kipariz said:

The swim date is set for Aug. 17 in Hague, NY and they have 2.5K, 5K and 10K races

Oh- sorry for my confusion- that is a GREAT day- and depending on how my solo plans shake out, I'll be there. And depending on where you are, and how long you are in the area, let me know if you want a side trip to Diane's Rock- it's a short drive from Hague or about five hours to swim. ;)

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

@MLamby said:
    I'm struggling to find one this year. I am back to training 20-25K per week and would love a goal. Living in Wisconsin makes it tough as travel and crew costs for really fun/unique/attainable swims can be really cost prohibitive. SAKW cost us, in total, over $2,000.00 last year. Would love to do St. Lucia, but registration ALONE is $2200.00. I am toying with the idea of doing a double crossing (there and back) of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin in order to cut out most costs. I've done it one way twice, and it may be a fun and massive challenge to be the first to do it both ways (26-27K). We'll see....fingers crossed.

St Lucia announced on their Facebook page that flight costs to that location have dropped.
    You could take a look, maybe the cost is more convenient now.

molly1205j9swim
  • andyt2404andyt2404 Jersey, Channel Islands Member

Triple round Jersey is on my radar

kejoycethelittlemerwookieWebstem67KarenW
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited January 2019

@andyt2404 said:
    Triple round Jersey is on my radar

Legend

andyt2404Webstem67swimfreeordieSteffenie
  • NajiswimsNajiswims Member
    edited January 2019

I am planning on swimming The Santa Barbara Channel from The Mainland to Anacapa Island. Tentative window dates are September 16 and 17th, 2019. This will be my first official observed marathon swim. If I'm successful I'll be the second African American and first African American male to do it.

evmoBogdanZswimfreeordiethelittlemerwookieIronMikemolly1205SoloKatieBunCopelj26Webstem67
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Enjoy Boston Light IronMike. I swam it last year and it is a wonderful swim. This year I'm planning to bookend my season with the Potomac River Swim in June (7.5 miles) and the Highland Lakes Monster Swim Stage Race (~16 miles) near Austin in October. I have not quite decided on what happens in the middle yet.

thelittlemerwookieIronMikeKatieBunBridget
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2019

@Najiswims said:
    I am planning on swimming The Santa Barbara Channel from The Mainland to Anacapa Island. Tentative window dates are September 16 and 17th, 2019. This will be my first official observed marathon swim. If I'm successful I'll be the second African American and first African American male to do it.

@Najiswims also started a new blog. Love it:

https://adeadkennedy.wordpress.com

Swim on, Naji!

IronMikethelittlemerwookieKatieBunCopelj26SydneDJustSwimj9swimrlmWebstem67
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

@Najiswims said:

Loving your blog, @Najiswims . From one slow swimmer to another, I salute you. Enjoy your journey.

Copelj26
  • Copelj26Copelj26 ChicagoSenior Member
    edited January 2019

Trying to figure out and organize the intricacies of a swim completed by 6 people in the past and known as the Chicago Shore line swim, rough course is 26 miles from North Chicago suburbs to south side of city. Trying to figure out permits, boat support etc. Outside that considering Swim the Suck cause its always a fun weekend and maybe Swim to the Moon as its a few hours drive away and maybe others if I can ever get myself in gear to commit to things outside the above.

KatieBunabbygirlroselkochevarJustSwimMLamby
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

@Copelj26 That swim has also piqued my interest!

@abbygirlrose I will be meeting with one of the 6 in coming weeks, I can let you know what I find out on permits etc.

abbygirlrose
  • MikeD46148MikeD46148 IndianapolisMember

Tampa in April, Catalina in August and EC qualifier for 2020 somewhere in the middle..

MLambythelittlemerwookiekiparizJustSwim
  • CaseyroddCaseyrodd TucsonMember

Attempting my first 10k at Swim Miami in May:)

MLambythelittlemerwookiemiklcctKatiekipariz
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Kicking off the season in June by jumping into my favorite water - Stage 7 of 8B in the Hudson, then off to try something hard in a new way - the Width of Tahoe - altitiude and colder than i typically swim marathons and my 1st west coaster. in August heading to the beauty of vermont lakes with Swim the Kingdom week - this year I'm not cutting any short! and I'm hoping to finish up the season with Swim the Suck which for a variety of reasons I've never been able to attend...hoping this is the year to end that.
    In terms of support so far I have plans to crew Ka'iwi Channel (Molokai to Oahu), at least one 20B but that tends to grow as we get closer to the dates, and the width of tahoe - trading support. If anyone needs support somewhere let me know - I'm retired and if I'm not swimming I do truly love crewing. Happy Training Alll!

MLambythelittlemerwookieBridgetkiparizJustSwimIronMikeSwimUpStreamTracy_ClarkChefKen

@MLamby said:
    I am toying with the idea of doing a double crossing (there and back) of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin in order to cut out most costs. I've done it one way twice, and it may be a fun and massive challenge to be the first to do it both ways (26-27K). We'll see....fingers crossed.

There is a lot to be said for a home lake advantage. I'm already trying to round up crew for Lake George. :D I don't want to be locked in to massive travel if the weather turns sour. ;) I want my paddlers happy.

Good luck- and if the double is 26-27K, you should be all set. :D Good luck.

MLamby
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    After 18 months of intractable back injury and 3.5 years since my last long swim (8 Bridges), I just signed up for a length of Windermere for this summer. It’s only 10 and a bit miles, so the newspapers and record keepers can stand down, especially since I expect to be travelling at a sedate come-back pace that will amaze absolutely no-one. But after endless false starts, and a great deal of painful rehab, I’m really hoping this is the beginning of a return to some kind of long swimming. A modest goal for 2019, but a goal nevertheless.
    evmocurlyKatieBunj9swimkejoyceBogdanZJustSwimthelittlemerwookieMLambySoloIronMikejendutWebstem67Alex_ArevaloBridget

@MikeD46148 said:
    Tampa in April, Catalina in August and EC qualifier for 2020 somewhere in the middle..

When in August will you do Catalina @MikeD46148?

@flystorms said:
    Working mostly on my pool time through June to be ready for my first Senior (!) Games Nationals meet. I have some very specific times I want to hit for the free events and think it's possible. After that, I'll need to find a couple of OW swims. Vacation is very limited this year so I may only get to do stuff I can travel to for a quick weekend, such as the USMS 10k Nationals.

The venue for the 10K Nationals this year is AWESOME! Did the swim in the fall of '18 and really enjoyed it. Definitely on my list again for this year.

flystormsCaseyrodd
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@KarenT - that's wonderful news!!! I know you have missed swimming long, its great to hear that you are coming back to what you love. and don't hesitate to reach out i there is any way i can help you with your goals of swimming 'sedate' - I am a world record holder in these area :).

KarenTBridget
  • CaseyroddCaseyrodd TucsonMember

Katie, When you say awesome swim venue , do you mean Miami? I'm doing the 10k there in May, I've never been.

CaseyRodd - the 10k Nationals this year are in Knoxville, TN in September. The 10k in Miami is a decent race, though. They have changed up the course off and on over the last few years. It was really frustrating one year where they had the 10k going, then let out the 5k, then 1k people later and it was nuts. There were people crashing head into each other if the 1k-ers weren't paying attention to their line. The course was too narrow. I think they adjusted it the next year.

IronMikeCaseyrodd
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Looking forward to Kingdom Week! Maybe another shot at the Portland Bridges.

SwimUpStream

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• jasonsibertjasonsibert EdwardsvilleMember

I'm training to swim a charity 5K this summer. My goal is to continue to get into shape and compete!

KatieBunBogdanZJaimieSoloBridget
  • BHillBHill Des Moines, IAMember

Overall goal is to to build my swimming resume and hope to qualify for MIMS 2020. Right now I am signed up for the Jim Wheland Open Water Festival which will be my first 20+ mile swim and Swim The Suck as my long swims. Plus a couple fo 10 Ks here and there to fill in the season.

BogdanZJaimiej9swimmiklcctSolo
  • I'm fairly new to the "longer swims" world but enjoying it immensely. Having swam Ullswater,the 2nd largest Lake in the Lake District in 2017, I am aiming for the largest, a length of Windermere 10.5 miles. Booked in for the summer followed by a couple of shorter swims from Alcatraz

miklcctSoloTracy_ClarkswimfreeordieBridget

To update on this, it turns out organizing your own swim is a bit of a bear.

Luckily there is a well known local swimmer who previously did the “Chicago lakeshore swim” So she was my starting point and advised who she contacted etc when she did the swim.

Unfortunately all her previous contacts are gone from their roles, so I had to start again on identifying who should I contact in Chicago Parks and beaches, Chicago police dept. marine unit and Chicago Fire dept. responsible for marine and air rescue. It also turns out while they are happy to talk to each other for you, they were not too keen on sharing those names. I had to call in some favors from former work team members with spouses in CPD to get some names (it cost me cupcakes too).

Anyway by end of March after 3 months, it appears all the bureaucracy is in place.

So now the plan is a 3 person, tandem night swim along the roughly 24 mile Chicago lake front running from juneway to calumet beaches.

Plan is for last week of July.

Now just figuring out two boat support and crews, with local crew the preference from cost and people’s time perspective.

Also in a good Karma approach the other local swimmer who helped me early on is using the same contacts at the various depts. to arrange for some of her swimmers to do a relay along the same route. Hopefully we can continue to encourage long distance swimming in Lake Michigan

thelittlemerwookieIronMikeabbygirlroseevmoj9swimSoloJustSwimSydneDMLamby
  • Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member

North Channel Take II after having to stop just over one mile from Scotland in 11 hours of swimming in September 2017 - September 2019.

j9swimCopelj26SoloJustSwimKatieBunswimfreeordiethelittlemerwookieSwimUpStreamMvGBogdanZIronMike
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2019

@Copelj26 said: it appears all the bureaucracy is in place.

Awesome, @Copelj26 ! Looking forward to following this.

I lived in Chicago for a brief time a few years ago, but never got around to organizing a long swim like this in Lake Michigan.

Out of curiosity, what gave you the initial impression that you needed "permission" from the bureaucracies? Are there specific regulations you are trying to avoid running afoul of? What would happen if you just went out and did it?

Copelj26IronMike

@evmo my thought was that it was best to make authorities aware of the plans. Once I had names they were pretty good and basically all said “I can’t give you an approval to do this but I have no issue and will make our teams aware when you are in the water”.

Personally I had this horrible vision of being pulled by marine police, now if anyone comes near we have names to throw at them.

evmoMLambyIronMikeBridget
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@Copelj26 very cool. Seems like a generally advisable practice when planning unusual marine activities in heavily populated areas. Thank you for being responsible!

Copelj26thelittlemerwookieIronMikeBridget
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member
    edited April 2019

Like @Copelj26 I’ve got a swim in my home waters which is Portland, Oregon. I’ve been considering the swim in one way or another for 7 yrs. I thought maybe it wasn’t doable, then thought maybe as a relay, then finally thought “what the hell! I’ll go for it”. It’s a Circumnavigation around an island that resides where the Willamette enters the Columbia River. It’s ~40 miles around and has tidal influence. It’s been fun trying to calculate best route and timing for my swim speed vs light/current/tides. The Island is named Sauvie so the swim will be SIC (Sauvie Island Circumnavigation).

evmoabejendutCopelj26thelittlemerwookieSydneDFlowSwimmersMLambyBridgetrlmwendyv34ChefKen

Big goals for the summer-
    Solo of Lake George- using what I learned two summers ago.
    Inaugural swim [?] between Fort Ticonderoga and the Crown Point Fort on Lake Champlain- Fourteen Miles.
    And a big out-of-town adventure I'm starting to network for: twenty miles of Rhode Island's south coast between Watch Hill and Point Judith- Help welcome. :smiley: And all the clam cakes you can eat. :smile:

SwimUpStreamPasqualeBogdanZMLambySoloSydneD[Deleted User]kiparizj9swim
  • abeabe australiaMember

Great reading the goals of 2019 motivating seeing swimmers putting their challenges out there, everyone has their distance that is going to challenge the brain - I am starting this weekend with a 20km swim (15km is the most I have gone so time to add a few more). It is a 10km event on the Gold Coast but am finishing then re-entering the water to swim back. Be a nice slow and steady relaxing day in the ocean I hope, although the joy of being in the ocean is a lot can change in 6 hours.

Good luck to all in 2019

rlmTracy_ClarkIronMikeSoloSydneDBogdanZ
  • PaigeKiedingPaigeKieding Santa Barbara, CaliforniaMember

Anacapa to mainland swim! Plus a few 10k’s (like the Semana Nautica 10k in July).

evmorlmthelittlemerwookie
  • DavidZakDavidZak Tiffin, OhioMember
    edited May 2019

Looking to do Swim to the Moon 10K in August of this year and training for 2020 Border Buster 25K (to celebrate my 50th birthday!). Good luck to everyone!

SoloKatieBun
  • gregmcgregmc Sandgate Brisbane QLDMember

Currently planning a swim with a team of eight from Shorncliffe jetty to Woody Point jetty QLD Aus - approx 8kms - to occur in September 2019

Solo
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

It's official! (Well mostly). Melodee Nugent and I will be attempting to become the first man and woman to make a documented double crossing of Lake Geneva Wisconsin on July 23. Fingers crossed!

flystormsKate_AlexanderevmoSolojendutJustSwimPasqualeIronMikeArgentrlmBridgetMvGswimfreeordie

@MLamby said:
    It's official! (Well mostly). Melodee Nugent and I will be attempting to become the first man and woman to make a documented double crossing of Lake Geneva Wisconsin on July 23. Fingers crossed!

Ooohhh this is exciting! Melodee is so strong mentally. I'll be cheering for you down here.

MLambyArgent