Swimming Pool Tether

I had a search on the forum and whilst the are a few minor references I have not been able to get any real information about swimming pool tethers such as the one this company offers https://www.swimtether.com/

Does anyone have any experience of these? are they any good? and are there versions which don't require that you drill holes into your swimming pool tiling?

Cheers

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I swam for two years in a 7-ish meter pool attached to a tether, ending in my successful crossing of lake Issyk Kul in Kyrgyzstan. I used the Aqua Sphere stationary swimmer, which I really liked. Didn't have to drill anything. Hooked around the skimmer basket hole or when I was using my boss's tiny pool, I wrapped it around the ladder. Definitely worked, but boy did it ever get boring.

dpm50SamMLamby

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SamSam Member

@IronMike that's brilliant and about $100 cheaper than one I'd found. I've ordered one already! Thanks

IronMike
  • CaseyroddCaseyrodd TucsonMember

Oh good, tether talk! I am training 3 days a week on the Riptide tether in my salt water pool and 2 or 3 days doing laps in a regular chlorinated lap pool. I've signed up for my first 10k in Miami, and was wondering if the tether training was a good or bad thing

IronMikeLaurie

@Caseyrodd said:
    Oh good, tether talk! I am training 3 days a week on the Riptide tether in my salt water pool and 2 or 3 days doing laps in a regular chlorinated lap pool. I've signed up for my first 10k in Miami, and was wondering if the tether training was a good or bad thing

Still using it when I travel for business. Wrap it around the hotel pool's ladder. Still boring, but helps I think.

Thanks! It can be boring, but I definitely prefer the salt water to the chlorine in our local pool. My swim coach seems to think it's easier than swimming laps, but he's never used one. I've always though it's a little harder..form and resistance wise.

I think I wrote in my blog somewhere about how I would do intervals on the tether. There are ways to defeat the boredom, but some days the swim got looooong!

I know, I mix up breathing patterns, do intervals, kick sets, you name it. Honestly though, do you think it's easier than lap swimming?

• KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

My teammates have one as well, and have been able to avoid drilling holes by using a combination of added bungees and carabiners. I have yet to put it to use myself, but as IronMike mentions, I suspect the challenge will be more in defeating the boredom.
    Actually thinking of using the tether in my backyard pool while it's still cold to start to acclimatize to the temps.

Katie, I've tried several and like the Riptide one the best. Check it out. I think it's tough, when you stop swimming , it pulls you back against the pool wall. Lots of resisitance.