New Knee??

Had my knee fully replaced eleven days ago. Was just in a good groove with swims of eight miles, ten miles, eight miles, and twelve miles under my belt in the past year or so. Plus around 500 miles in the pool. Swimming just makes me happy. I can't swim for at least eight weeks. Anyone else been through this? Any advice? I am so "jonesing" to get in the water that it's making me really crabby. Any help with what to expect and how to get through these "blues" would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

All I can say is don't rush it. I come from a family of active folks and some of them have had surgeries to replace various busted parts. They all want to get rolling as soon as the anesthesia wears off. Every time we have to do all we can to slow them down so they don't screw up what the surgery fixed.

Look at it this way. Take a few months of rest and slow rehab, that if done correctly will lead to a lifetime of easier walking, running and swimming. My brother had a shoulder repair a year or so ago. He followed the doctors orders to a T. A year later he is back to major rock climbing adventures and is actually doing better than before. That was one year of rehab. At the time it drove him nuts, but now it's just a blip in the past.

Good luck with your recovery. It ain't fun, but the end result will be so much better if you don't rush it.

MLambyJustSwimflystormsswimfreeordieLynnkub
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Great advice above. Take the time to let your body heal or it'll take even longer if you jack it up again. Talk to the doc/PT to see when it makes sense for you to get back in. Maybe you can do a lot of pulling and open turns so that you can get into the water and enjoy it. Also, would you be able to "run" in the pool to work your legs without having to put weight on the new knee?

Doc2dockswimfreeordieMLamby
  • MikeHMikeH Member

I had my hip replaced and suffered through the down time. It sucks, but I'm as good as new now and it's been very worth it in the end. Hang in there!

swimfreeordieMLambyLynnkub
  • Two hips replaced and rehabbed. Very good advice from curly flystorms and MikeH. One additional note of advice: I started to pack on the pounds while I couldn't exercise as much as usual during rehab - if that affects you, you might want to adjust your diet for a while until you are fully back in action.

MLamby
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

flystorms said:
    Great advice above. Take the time to let your body heal or it'll take even longer if you jack it up again. Talk to the doc/PT to see when it makes sense for you to get back in. Maybe you can do a lot of pulling and open turns so that you can get into the water and enjoy it. Also, would you be able to "run" in the pool to work your legs without having to put weight on the new knee?

Unfortunately I can't be in the water at all due to infection risk. I also can't run at all because they took out my ACL, PCL,and a chunk of my IT band. I agree that Curly's advice is probably what I just need to do. I am not known for my patience though.... :)

MikeH said:
    I had my hip replaced and suffered through the down time. It sucks, but I'm as good as new now and it's been very worth it in the end. Hang in there!

That's good to hear. Thank you!!

swimfreeordie said:
    Two hips replaced and rehabbed. Very good advice from curly flystorms and MikeH. One additional note of advice: I started to pack on the pounds while I couldn't exercise as much as usual during rehab - if that affects you, you might want to adjust your diet for a while until you are fully back in action.

TRUTH since ice cream has replaced swimming as my happy place.... :)

JustSwimLynnkubflystorms