English Channel Windows and Slots

GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember
edited May 2018 in General Discussion

Hi all - this may sound like an obvious question for some, but nobody has provided me with a clear answer so far.

I am booked to attempt the English Channel on July 3-10 window, with slot #3. While I know many people that have managed to swim on slots #3 and #4, I also appreciate the chance of not having the green light during that week at all. What exactly happens in that case? Do I get a new slot in the following tide (July 20-27) and in that case, what happens to the 3 or 4 swimmers that are already booked for that week? Do I become slot #5? How far away can they reschedule you for?

As usual, I greatly appreciate any experience from fellow members.
Thanks in advance
Diego

Tagged:
evmoDuganaddyBogdanZmiklcct

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Hi @GlobalSwimmer - this will depend on your pilot, if it's not outlined in your contract you should definitely ask them. I think the default is that if you don't get to swim you would get a refund or reschedule until their next free slot which could be a year or two out, but in actuality most would work with you to get you in if they can based on availability, how far away you are, etc.

evmothelittlemerwookieKarl_KingeryKatieBunGlobalSwimmer
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

...and sometimes you get to swim on the spring tide between the neaps. Sometimes you will indeed be no.5 on the next neap.... or you become a "fit-in" when everybody else has got away on their tides. If you're totally blown out, you may become a fit-in the following year.

GlobalSwimmer
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

So basically... it sucks! Haha but that’s the beauty of it I guess - thank you both for the help!!

KatieBun

The unpredictability of the weather makes it something of a mindgame @GlobalSwimmer. The waiting and wondering can be hugely frustrating.

• KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

So silly question... when the Channel Swimming Association says that "pilots are booking 3 years out" does that mean we're talking that swimmers have to wait 3 years to swim, or could someone actually get a swim in the upcoming calendar year? So much to learn and take in about this stuff!

There are always cancellations and chances of not having to wait that long. I'd say send a round of emails to the 7 CSA pilots and to the 6 CSPF pilots to see what's the earliest you can get with a decent slot, and then make sure you monitor their FB / Twitter accounts, as they sometimes post last-minute availability (e.g. Masterpiece just published on its FB a slot free in September).

Karl_KingeryMaryStellaBogdanZ
  • KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

GlobalSwimmer said:
    There are always cancellations and chances of not having to wait that long. I'd say send a round of emails to the 7 CSA pilots and to the 6 CSPF pilots to see what's the earliest you can get with a decent slot, and then make sure you monitor their FB / Twitter accounts, as they sometimes post last-minute availability (e.g. Masterpiece just published on its FB a slot free in September).

Thanks @GlobalSwimmer ! Pretty much was thinking this (great ideas come during morning practices!) would be a good way to go about it. If anything, it starts to put the swim more firmly on my radar screen while also getting a good feel for how to time the build up, training , etc. Don't think September is at all in the cards for me but this could be a great adventure for 2019 or even 2020 if it came to that. There is a lot to read up on when it comes to the EC (or Catalina for that matter) and I'm just trying to get it all straight. Appreciate the help and guidance of having this forum.

IronMike
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber

Has anyone here recently booked a slot in 2020 (i.e. one and a half year away)? I'm dreaming about the challenge in 2021, but I need to complete cold half in 2020 to prove that I am ready for the challenge (cold half 2019 is too soon for me, I haven't got that level of swimming yet, currently still at around 2 hours for 5 km), by that time it will be one and a half year left for 2021 channel season.

I live in Asia so it is not an easy thing for me to arrange the things, but I would like to have a year of working holiday in Sweden, and within that year, take that challenge (i.e. depart in April or May and swim in August or September). Otherwise I can't think of a way to stay in Europe long enough to prepare for the challenge. Therefore I have to do it before the age limit of working holiday is reached!

• hchaphchap ParisMember

Hi folks!
    I am desperately looking for a July 2019 EC swimmer to switch spot with me.
    My window is September 6-12 (Neap, spot #3)
    We are expecting our first child and certainly didn't plan for the due date to be right then!
    Any leads on how to go about that is much appreciated!

DanSimonellissthomasBridget
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    > @hchap

Email me: dan.simonelli@yahoo.com
  • hchaphchap ParisMember

I am now just "selling" my EC spot:
    September 6-12 2019, spot #3 with Pilot Stuart Gleeson (CSA) on Sea Leopard.
    DM me if interested or know someone!

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    edited February 2019

I am now just "selling" my EC spot:

Just curious: how is this even a thing? If a #3 swimmer needs to cancel, why wouldn't the pilot just move up the #4 slot?

Can people buy up #1 slots years ahead of time, and then sell them for a profit later?

miklcctSwimmersuz
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

@bruck said:
    Can people buy up #1 slots years ahead of time, and then sell them for a profit later?

Yes...certain people buy up slots with no intention of swimming. It's even my understanding that some coaches and organizations package them, at a premium, for the "after-market."

miklcct

Not all pilots do this. Some of them move swimmers up the list if another swimmer drops out. I organised a relay at quite short notice in 2017 and our slot moved from #3 to #1.

• hchaphchap ParisMember

Hi @bruck that is a good point.
    In my case I thought I was helping the pilot and wanted to take initiative so I'd had a chance to recover my deposit. However I was unaware of his wait list, so my getting involved didn't help, even confused things if anything.
    Ultimately the pilot is in control of their bookings and sign a contract with whom they want and that contract isn't transferable. The few I've spoken to seemed fair in how they manage wait lists (to be clear this is how my slot is being re-assigned right now)

@FlowSwimmers said:
    Yes...certain people buy up slots with no intention of swimming. It's even my understanding that some coaches and organizations package them, at a premium, for the "after-market."

Hmm. So now there is a secondary market for Channel Swims? Just if the prices weren't crazy enough...

I originally had my EC attempt scheduled for 2019. At the beginning of 2018, I heard that my pilot had a cancellation for that summer and I went for it, at no markup (first come, first served). I went straight into slot #4, so I assume that all swimmers were upped, and I was put at the end. As it should be, if you ask me.

MvGKatieBunmiklcct