Finger Lakes swims - New York State

david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
http://kihm6.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/swimming-the-lake/

Some history of Skaneateles Lake swimming. Might be heading up there next weekend...
B35FNMHCFARB.jpg

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Tagged:

Comments

• One of my husband's good friends grew up in Skaneateles. It's a beautiful lake and town. Don't forget to eat at Doug's Fish Fry!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I remember you bringing these lakes up as the "Six Fingers" swims in this thread: http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/32/groupings-e-g-triple-crown-oceans-seven-etc-/p1

I still think that would be fun to do. Looking forward to a write-up of your swim, @david_barra

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember
    edited June 2018

Thinking about doing this 50 years from the date my older sister water skied Seneca. Looking for what I would need to do to pull this off.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2015

Any idea how many Finger Lakes lengthwise swims there have been historically? I believe Mo did one recently. Pretty interesting distances/routes for marathon swimmers. I'd be happy to publish a list on marathonswimmers.org, if anyone wants to compile one.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Mo and I swam Skaneateles last year +/- 16 miles.
    Claire De Boer swam it too, though unofficially as a training swim for her Cayuga Lake swim.
    Russell Chaffee swam a bunch of them in the 60's with primitive support and with non traditional attire.

It's hard to come by historical data.... But it would be nice to have it all in one place

gregocevmo

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    edited July 2015

Wow. It looks like there will be several members of this forum swimming one or more or all of the Fingers this season. Including Bridget.
    http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2015/07/give-hand-to-swimming-across-finger.html?m=1

Chrisgreenejendutdavid_barra

Bridgette Hobart swam the first of 11 finger lakes yesterday.
    She is rocking it!
    http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2015/07/11/bridgette-hobart-great-lakes-challenge.html
    Mo Sieglel and iI are going to join her next week in Keuka Lake.

gregocJSwimLeonard_JansenlakesprayIronMikeChrisgreeneJBirrrdBridget

In about 12 hours from now, Mo Siegel and I will be splashing at the south end of Keuka lake with Bridgette Hobart..... her second in two weeks.

gregocLeonard_JansenChrisgreenejroyerSydneDevmoJSwimIronMike

Tomorrow at 6 am EST, Bridgette is starting Skanateles.... #3 for her.
    I had to cancel my trip to the UK, so I am putting a crew together to join her for Cayuga Lake in two weeks..... 38 miles.

gregoc

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2015

Big congratulations are in order for Bridgette Hobart and @david_barra for swimming the 38-mile length of Cayuga Lake!

David finished just a few minutes ago in 23 hours, 26 minutes.

More in the Ithaca Journal:

http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/local/2015/08/06/swimmer-aims-cross-cayuga-end-end/31245143/

gregocjkormanikdavid_barraSydneDIronMikeViveBeneJustSwimmalinakaJSwim
  • I'm amazed by the achievements that came in over the weekend. Congratulations to the Finger Lakes swimmers!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Chrisgreene said:
    Does anyone know if anyone has swum the length of Seneca Lake?

Bridgette is under way...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=02Oh1hTujsrcSSPsvS92EPGJpkfnvOns8

david_barra

Bridgette swam Senecca 24:33!

jendutdpm50jroyercaburkeChrisgreeneBridget

Great news for future Finger Lakes swimmers!

• JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

No motorized boating May 1 - Aug. 15.

Swimmers required to "wear dolphin-proof 'swim mittens'. Men are also strongly discouraged from skinny dipping."

It's an April Fool's article. It would have been fun to swim with tiny dolphins, but swim mittens?

ssthomas

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

JSwim said:
    It's an April Fool's article. It would have been fun to swim with tiny dolphins, but swim mittens?

Yeah. Knew that.

JSwim

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Huge congrats to Caroline @thelittlemerwookie - 4th-ever swim of Lake Cayuga, first in the south-to-north direction. 35 miles in 21 hours 28 minutes.

35199072_10100219567541879_1373442356992278528_n

MoCorosemarymintslknightFrancorlmdavid_barraIronMikeDoc2dockSolothelittlemerwookiegrappledunkJustSwimJSwimBridgetgregoclakespray
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2018

A first stab at compiling a structured list of historical Finger Lakes solo swims:

longswims.com/events/finger-lakes

It's definitely incomplete, so feel free to add any others to this thread, or PM me.

I need: name, date, route, elapsed time.

IronMike
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Love to see the NY State of Swimming! :D I'm sticking close to home on Lake George for now- anyone in the area, let me know- happy to scrub the algae off Diane's Rock! I'm using the next few weeks to decide about another solo, but definitely doing a relay of the lake. I'll do the swim leg of a Hague Tri on the 23rd, and hope to find a paddler to help me swim home. ;)

Love hearing about the Finger Lakes swims! Go Go Go!!!

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Just wanted to give a quick review of this years FLOWS (Finger Lakes OWS) which took place on 9/21 - a 10 miler in Seneca. First the swim is very well run - its an out and back up the west side of the lake. The water was crisp (totally guessing maybe 61-68) over the course of the lake and the day, it was clear and sweet and a pleasure to swim in. It was a mass start (22 swimmers) and i believe 13 finished. I was not one of them as I decided to get out at the turn around point. Each swimmer had a kayaker who was equipped with a marine radio and there were multiple boats on the course. Compared to other swims I've done the boat traffic is very light so its a joy to just relax and swim. In addition to including a kayaker, the entrance fee also included dinner friday and saturday nights and coffee and bagels saturday morning! Since I'm a social swimmer in a solo sport I very much appreciated meeting and hanging out with the other swimmers. Additionally if you want to go with friends who may not want to swim 10 miles there is also the option to swim Sunday 2, 1, and/or .5 miles so a really lovely offering for everyone. Thanks much to @bridgettehobart and her amazing team of family and friends for hosting this wonderful event. BTW rumor is next year it will be held in August 1-2 so the water temps may be warmer.

Kate_AlexanderAlpacaJaimieIronMikeKari33
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Great review! Thanks @j9swim - sounds fun and beautiful and inclusive! Congratulations @bridgettehobart and team on another safe and fun event!

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member
    edited September 2021

Soooo, last year's Finger Lakes 12 miler only had two entrants and one DNFed. Is it THAT tough? Was considering it maybe for 2022 to get my butt in gear again. Any info?

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Major headwind on the way north so most 12 milers stopped at the 6 mile point. That being said it’s one of my favorite events of each season. Good people, pretty water and a weekend of fun! Sign up, you’ll have a great time!!!

MLambyJSwim
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member

Cool. Thanks!