Guide to Swimming the Gibraltar Straits (revised)

2»

Comments

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member
  • Has anyone gotten a response from the org that does the Gibraltar swim? Their website said, or did say, to contact them in November for the next year. I did and they said they were booked for 2018. I asked them when I should contact them for 2019. I didn't hear back from them. I contacted them in January of this year to inquire about next year, and again last week. I've not heard anything back from them since November of last year.

I have to have at least some time to prepare and I need six months or so of lead time to ask off from work for 2-3 weeks. I get they lots of interest, but 6 months seems a bit excessive for not answering an email.

• Well, I got an email from them this morning. It was two weeks, which is better then the no answer I got from six months ago. This is part of what I got in response, which seems to say there is now a two year waiting period.

"Have in mind that people since two year are waiting, the demand grows but the conditions in the strait are the same, few possibilities and a lot of swimmers, we work for give the opportunity to all but all we loves this sport knows how works. All cancelations have to be repositioned on the next year."

BogdanZ
  • Webstem67Webstem67 Rapperswil, Switzerland Member

I waited 2 years for a spot, but managed to get a cancellation this year in April. It’s frustrating but having swum now I completely understand the organizations problems. We managed to get off on the last day of an 8 day window, but the rest of the window was a blow out. I think with this swim you just need to patience and keep sending the e-mails. Laura and team work hard to slot as many swimmers in as they can, given the weather conditions in the straits and the restrictions by the authorities

evmoJaimieFlowSwimmersBogdanZ
  • simondosimondo New ZealandMember

Does anyone know of a forum for places in Gibraltar Strait crossings like the FB page for EC relays? I am keen to swim this next season (2019).
    I have been on the waiting list since the 2016 season and have just found out that I am unlikely to have a slot next year (2019).
    Do you think there is a priority for groups over solos?

Last April, David Meca created a new association: Gibraltar Swimming Association.

I sent them an email asking for info you won't find in the website (which by the way, I'm in awe it's only in Spanish!). In their own words:

> We are totally independent from ACNEG. This is a personal project of David Meca.

They say their waiting list is shorter than ACNEG's, but they wouldn't specify waiting times (though I mentioned in my mail the standard 2 to 3 years). They just said:

> Like ACNEG, we are conditioned by the rules which states that only 4 swimmers can be swimming at the same time.

IMO, this means that waiting times will increase, because permits will keep the same, but there will be 2 queues, so both will move forward slower - unless they reach an agreement to optimize the distribution of slots (but this might take a few years for them to realize).

They haven't publicized any list of potential swimmers (neither in the site, nor social media), so I suppose they don't expect any crossing in the near future. In any case, anyone wanting an English translation of any part of their site, don't hesitate to ask me.

Oh, I forgot, I asked for their rates. For an individual crossing:

• Pilot boat: 850 Eur
    • Support & firs-aid boat: 400 Eur
    • Ambulance, paramedical: 200 Eur
    • Organization, permits...: 250 Eur
    • Other expenses (no details here): 250 Eur
    • TOTAL: 1950 Eur

For groups (up to 4 swimmers): add 550 Eur per swimmer.

Reservation will be confirmed upon payment of 20% of the total cost.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

• EyalSchEyalSch IsraelMember

back in business

Kate_AlexanderkejoyceevmoGuyco111
  • vimonheimvimonheim Cincinnati, OHMember

WHEW! great, really trying to get in next august (2020). fingers crossed.

• CatenoCateno United StatesNew Member
    edited March 2020

Anyone swimming the Straits of Gibraltar the week of August 13th? Would love to connect with you!