Need a yakker in Miami

molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Hi, all- I've been planning a swim around Key Biscayne for the past couple of months and just learned that my boater cancelled on me. He didn't give a specific reason, but he coincidentally cancelled a week after I sent him the swim plan, including the Marathon Swimming Federation swimming rules and the MOWSA shark protocol. If you know of an an experienced kayaker in the South Miami area, please let me know! I'd love to be able to do this swim as planned this weekend. Thank you!

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

That's frustrating Molly, sorry about that. If I were in your position I'd be checking with local paddling clubs and outfitters. Also local Masters swim clubs - swimmers like to help swimmers, and some of them are likely involved in other watersports like kayaking.

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Thanks @evmo. It is frustrating! I've had a lot of connections from friends but none have worked out. I'm checking on a couple of kayaker facebook groups and will check with the Masters teams, too. Great suggestions!

• aafairmanaafairman Los Angeles, CAMember
    edited March 2018

I planned a swim in Miami for my bday last year and connected with a guy named Miles through the Miami Kayak Club. He had done swim support and was totally cool with whatever we wanted. He is one of the organizers of this group, but if you can’t get a hold of him, LMK and I can PM his number. https://www.meetup.com/miami-kayak-club

evmo

Thanks very much @aafairman! PM coming your way.

Just wanted to update you all that despite several helpful recommendations, I was unable to get a kayaker, or motor boat, to support a swim around Key Biscayne. My supportive hubby offered to kayak along Key Biscayne beach for me, but even that was thwarted by a tennis tournament! (Really? How does a tennis tournament impact kayaking?!)
    Key Biscayne_no kayaks
    So, we made our way back to Virginia Key and found a kayak rental shop there. The next morning, I swam for a couple of hours before the shop opened and then my trusty husband kayaked along with me for the next 4 hours. It was a beautiful day for a swim! We enjoyed the view of the Miami skyline with every return lap. I'd recommend Virginia Key (on a weekday!) for a nice day of open water swimming.
    Virginia Key swim
    Virginia Key

KatieBunSolo

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

Sorry all the leads never worked out for your circumnavigation Molly, but love your big, sunny, smile! The folks at the kayak shop at Virginia Key are great!

molly1205
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Molly, sorry just getting to this thread. In the future, also consider asking Scout troops. Many of those kids are experienced on the water.

molly1205

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

Molly,
    It's nice that you were able to get a good swim in. I'm a Miami native and patrolled that part of Biscayne Bay when the onshore winds would bring the Man-O-War to the Oceanside beaches. Back and forth. Back and forth.

I usually did my OW training up at Ft Lauderdale Beach. It's by far the best place to swim down there. It's protected by some of the best beach guards in the world and have clearly marked buoys to keep boat traffic off shore. Actually I'm down here now rehabbing my back after surgery #10.) Sometimes the jellys find the area you swam in, which is locally known as Hobie Cat Beach (as you could rent one there back in the day. Maybe you still can.) On occasion a porpoise finds its way into that area.

I never found it to be an ideal place to swim. Lots of broken glass around and near the water, and lots of trash too.

You were actually swimming along Virginia Key. I used to windsurf there as a kid and Bear Cut (the channel between Key Biscayne and Virginia Key) rips really hard when the tides are changing. The southern tip of Key Biscayne is at Bill Baggs Park and also has a ripping tidal effect. People fish off of the bridge there, so have some wire cutters available in case you're mistaken for a grouper and get "hooked".

molly1205

Thanks for this helpful info, Chris. We should have checked out Ft. Lauderdale Beach. As it was, the Hobie Cat Beach (I didn't know it had a name!) worked out OK. It was crazy busy on Sunday, but not many around at all on Monday. Only mishap was scraping the bottom of my foot on something when I stood up in shallow water, resulting in some shallow cuts. But the water temp and sunshine were much enjoyed!