Moving to Zurich

Hi all. I know I mostly lurk here, but I do need some information. My wife is being transferred to Zurich, Switzerland, for work. I'm a USMS member here, but I was wondering a) are there some open water groups in Zurich that I could contact and b) is there a Swiss organization like USMS that I could join?

Also, any information about places to train in the winter would also be helpful. We're moving in July, but getting info sooner rather than later will be helpful!
Thanks a bundle!

I'm the Wiccan Christian that was profiled in USMS's Swimmer Magazine in 2017. Soon, I'll be moving to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, I pray to St. Adjutor, the patron saint of open water swimmers.

suziedods

Comments

• I live near Geneva just down the road from Zurich but I know someone who can and would love to help you. I will inbox you her details.

suziedodsworthyadvisor
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

I have a friend, Martyn Webster, who lives in a town at the other end of Lake Zurich (Rapperzwil). Not only is he a Triple Crown swimmer, but he's a head Brewmeister for Carlsberg. A good guy to know!

His e-mail is mp_webster@hotmail.com and he'd be happy to give you some recommendations.

worthyadvisorSydneD
  • worthyadvisorworthyadvisor Chicago, ILMember

@Lynne : Got your PM...thanks so much!

@FlowSwimmers Thanks! I'll give him a ping! :)

suziedodsFlowSwimmers

I'm the Wiccan Christian that was profiled in USMS's Swimmer Magazine in 2017. Soon, I'll be moving to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, I pray to St. Adjutor, the patron saint of open water swimmers.

• LOVELY! You'll be swimming year round and it's absolutely gawgeous there.

worthyadvisorJaimie
  • Webstem67Webstem67 Rapperswil, Switzerland Member

As my good friend from Montana said....I’m happy to help.
    There are Masters groups at many Swim clubs in the Zürich area. Some have active Open Water Groups that swim mainly May through to September in Lake Zürich/Zürichsee. And we also have two or three groups that swim regularly in the lake throughout winter. Send me your contact details and I’ll send you info and link you up to relevant WhatsApp groups which we use mainly to communicate. Switzerland is swimming heaven really! I am sure your wife ( and you) will love it here!

worthyadvisorFlowSwimmersDaveO

Webstem67 said:
    There are Masters groups at many Swim clubs in the Zürich area. Some have active Open Water Groups that swim mainly May through to September in Lake Zürich/Zürichsee. And we also have two or three groups that swim regularly in the lake throughout winter. Send me your contact details and I’ll send you info and link you up to relevant WhatsApp groups which we use mainly to communicate. Switzerland is swimming heaven really! I am sure your wife ( and you) will love it here!

Awesome! You can email me at worthyadvisor@gmail.com (this email is already public knowledge, so I don't mind posting it here). Thanks so much!

FlowSwimmers

worthyadvisor said:

Webstem67 said:

Awesome! You can email me at worthyadvisor@gmail.com (this email is already public knowledge, so I don't mind posting it here). Thanks so much!

Also, just got a WhatsApp account, and I'm "worthyadvisor" on there, too...:)

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

You could not do better than to have Martyn helping you! A wonderful person in every way. (And I'm not just saying that so he'll crew for me someday...

You might also find Charlie Masding who is incredibly wonderful and lives in Zurich. If you PM me, I can hook you up. She is just the best.

FlowSwimmersWebstem67
  • Webstem67Webstem67 Rapperswil, Switzerland Member

SydneD said:
    You could not do better than to have Martyn helping you! A wonderful person in every way. (And I'm not just saying that so he'll crew for me someday...

You might also find Charlie Masding who is incredibly wonderful and lives in Zurich. If you PM me, I can hook you up. She is just the best.

Waiting for you to name the location in Europe Syd!

FlowSwimmersSydneD
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

@Webstem67 Sadly, I'm waiting for a random swim benefactor to appear!! Why are they ignoring my calls and texts and emails?!?!

• FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

See you in Mallorca soon, @Webstem67 !