Global Marathon Swimming Awards 2017 - FINALISTS

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited November 2017 in Admin Communications

We are pleased to announce the finalists for the sixth annual MSF Global Marathon Swimming Awards.

For additional details, please see the dedicated page:

http://marathonswimmers.org/awards/2017

Solo Swim of the Year

• Daniel Abel - swim around Rarotonga, Cook Islands
  • Caroline Block - 28-hour North Channel swim
  • Catherine Breed - broke 30-year old record for fastest Lake Tahoe length swim - 21.3 miles (34.3 km) in 8 hours, 56 minutes
  • Sarah Thomas - new world distance record: 104.6 miles / 168.3 km in 67 hours, 16 minutes in Lake Champlain

Barra Award for Most Prolific Overall Year

Two Barra Awards will be given - one to a woman, and one to a man.

Streeter Award for Service to Marathon Swimming

• Tom Linthicum and Dave Van Mouwerik - for supporting, piloting, and compiling historical documentation of marathon swims in Lake Tahoe
  • Andrew Malinak - for co-founding and leading the Northwest Open Water Swimming Association (2015 to present), and for piloting Sarah Thomas’s record Lake Champlain swim
  • Greg O’Connor and Elaine Kornbau Howley - for co-directing the Boston Light Swim (2009 to present) and co-founding the Massachusetts Open Water Swimming Association
  • Mark Sheridan - for leading the British Long Distance Swimming Association as its president in 2017
  • Scott Zornig - for developing and leading the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association, 2009-2016

Yudovin Award for Most Adventurous Swim

• Sydne Didier - swim around Isla Culebra, Puerto Rico
  • Karl Kingery - swim across Yellowstone Lake, Wyoming
  • Brian Lanahan - swim around James Island, South Carolina
  • Jaimie Monahan - swim across Lago Maggiore, Italy/Switzerland

Statement on Transparency of Process

• Finalists were selected based on relative community support for each nomination.
  • Due to insufficient nominations, there will be just one Solo Swim of the Year, rather than male+female as in previous years.
  • Every Barra Award nominee (5 women and 3 men) moved on to be a Finalist, due to the extremely high quality of the nominations and significant community support for each.

Stay tuned for information on the voting process and schedule.

http://marathonswimmers.org/awards/2017

Tagged:
phodgeszohoKarl_KingeryLynnkubCathyInCAIronMikeSydneDBridgetDanSimonelli

Comments

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Thank you. :)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2017

Don't worry, you haven't missed anything.

I'm moving the voting machinery to a new platform after 5 years of LimeSurvey.... aaaaand it's not quite done yet.

Also, a couple more Documented Swims to publish, so everyone can vote with full information. Because I KNOW everyone takes the time to read through and fully consider each finalist, and not just choose your favorite social media personality.

loneswimmerSoloCopelj26SydneDAnthonyMcCarleypavlicovKarl_KingeryLynnkubsuziedodsBridget
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2017

The voting emails have started to trickle out. I'm sending them in small batches because this is a new platform... any problems please let me know asap - awards2017 at marathonswimmers dot org

Copelj26
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I did get two emails asking me to vote, but despite my best efforts, I could only vote once. ;-)

gregoc
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2017

yep... a little hiccup with about 10 emails. and yes, the token system should prevent any duplicate votes.

the emails will keep trickling out over the weekend, so thanks all for your patience.

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Jeez, and I thought it was tough picking winners last year. What an amazing group!

Oh yeah, when's the due date for ballots?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2017

The voting is coming along nicely. Several of the categories are extraordinarily close - testament to the strong nominations this year - so if you want to vote, please do so soon.

We'll keep it open through 23:59 UTC January 3.

This discussion has been closed.