Tropical swimming for celtic complexions...

owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member

Hi guys. I'm off to Rio de Janeiro in 6 weeks for my Leme to Pontal 35 km solo attempt. The water temperature should be very comfortable for the Irish swimmer (mostly 18ºC with cold patches of 14ºC and hot patches of 24ºC), but the air temperature is another story. Towards the end of the swim, the sun will be 90º overhead and the air temperature could be over 45ºC (with 100% humidity) – this won't be so comfortable for me! Does anyone else who normally swims in more temperate climes have advice on final preparations for these kinds of above-water conditions, or how to deal with them on the day? Any tips greatly appreciated :)>-

http://fermoyfish.com – Owen O'Keefe (Fermoy, Ireland)

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

40% zinc oxide diaper cream. All over. Please!

Desitin Maximum Strength brand diaper/nappy cream is my preferred but it stays on really well. I'm a pretty big person and a 4 ounce tube usually works to cover me, or you can do 2x2 ounce tubes so you don't have to check luggage. It’s messy so we come prepared with disposable latex gloves for a neater application, then after you're done you can remove with baby oil and paper towels (I like to use waterproof eye makeup remover wipes for my face.) Just pour the baby oil on while you're fairly dry, let it sit a bit/rub it across your skin, then wipe off with the paper towels.

Also ice/cooler for cold feeds if you need them, and make sure you are taking in some electrolytes if you think you need them. But be careful because too much will make you vomit. GOOD LUCK! Sounds like a super interesting swim. I don't think I've ever heard of a swim with such a difference between air and water temps before!

ssthomasKarl_KingeryJustSwimgregocBridgetrosemarymintLynnkubjnewton116
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Everything Jaimie said, x2.

When I get hot, I also bring extra water. As she mentioned, there is a such a thing as too much electrolytes- so when I'm pushing that limit, I supplement my regular feeds with extra water.

gregocBridget
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

I'll third @Jaimie regarding Desitin-- I slathered it on at 9pm, and had no chafing or sunburn for the entire next day. It did make my nose clip slide a tiny bit at the beginning, but was well worth it. It comes off with baby wipes, if you are around people who carry them routinely. ;-)

I wonder if the reflective qualities might help keep you slightly cooler in hot air, like when they paint the roof of a school bus white??? Either way, I've swum in blasting hot air, but as long as the water is a happy temperature with a few cooler spots, it should be ok. Are you willing to take a "sweat-pig hot" moment as a chance to slow down a bit and stretch out, and drink extra? What are the rules for putting ice down the seat of your suit or into your cap??? ;-) It is a natural substance.

• owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member

Thanks very much for the advice! Big bags of ice are cheap in the supermarkets in Brazil so I will be sure to have a few of those to leave my feeds cooling in too...

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Jaimie said:

We have lost boaters due to desitin. Seriously.
    There needs to be a containment plan.

timsrootBridgetowenswims93

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

david_barra said:

Jaimie said:

We have lost boaters due to desitin. Seriously.
    There needs to be a containment plan.

Garbage bags for ponchos!

And don't be a turd and slime someone else's boat.

Bridgetowenswims93
  • As a scouser in Singapore, +1 for Desitin and don't rely on buying it over there.

Cover yourself liberally in it, rather like you would your anti-cold water concoctions for the Irish sea! Face, shoulders small of back and upper thighs especially. I did a 7 hour swim in the sun and the Desitin stayed on throughout and I wasn't even red.

Best advice: save the caipirinhas until after the swim, not before... ;-)

WarmWater said:

Best advice: save the caipirinhas until after the swim, not before... ;-)

Now there's motivation if I've ever seen it!

Jaimie

Nappy cream it is then! I've never seen Desitin here, but we have Sudocrem, which also contains zinc oxide. Would that be a suitable alternative?

Jaimie

@owenswims93 sadly I think Sudocrem is only about 15% zinc which is lower than a lot of sunscreens...maximum strength desitin is 40% which is my ideal. I would ask your local chemist if they have something with 40% zinc or would be willing to mix you a tub. Otherwise ordering online might be your best bet...I know it's not ideal but I still order my P-20 from the UK and for years when I first started swimming I ordered Maxim from England too...anything not to get sunburned...

owenswims93

Thanks for that @Jaimie, glad I checked that :-) I will check with my local chemist and see if they can sort me out. Cheers!

Jaimie

edited November 2017

Okay not to be crazy but the Maximum relief Desitin is what you want, make sure it's the 40% and I find that the tube formulation stays on much better than the big tub.

https://www.amazon.com/Desitin-Diaper-Maximum-Strength-Original/dp/B004CAH38G

owenswims93