Weathered out in Dover

I know some of you have been there...

Been on standby for the last 6 days and looking at the forecasts, my pilot just told me the chance of me swimming is remote.

I'm arguably in the best shape of my life and I was planning on a hell of a time...

What did you do to get over this? I can't let the channel best me right? Back again next year?

miklcct

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I've been there. It SUCKS. It's especially "helpful" that Dover is such a fun place to hang out and do nothing...
    Hang in there- there are many of us who have been in your shoes. We know exactly what you're feeling, and it's not a good feeling.

Keep holding out hope that the weather will change- you never know. If you have the ability to come back after your tide ends, let your pilot know that you're open to coming back. And if not, there's always next year. You'll get it done one way or another- English Channel dreams don't go away.

ForeverSwimSolothelittlemerwookieDanSimonelli
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

That's why one should always book more than just one big swim in a season.

ForeverSwimssthomasswimdailythelittlemerwookie

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• Lol. I'm actually thinking of putting a last minute lake O attempt together now.

Solothelittlemerwookiepavlicovphodgeszoho
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Bill said:
    Lol. I'm actually thinking of putting a last minute lake O attempt together now.

@Bill I was weathered out in Northern Island and did exactly that. Not Lake O but changed my flight and headed home early, then got some friends together, rented a boat and went up to Scotland to attempt Loch Awe. The whole thing was pulled together in 2-3 days and I basically had one available day to swim it regardless of the weather. Frankly I was amazed we pulled it off. :-)

dpm50FlowSwimmersssthomasIronMikeKatieBun
  • The hurricanes are messing with lake O worse than the channel is looking. Looks like my season is done...