California Triple Crown of Marathon Swimming
Thanks to @VanMou's diligent work in compiling historic and recent Lake Tahoe swim data, it’s now possible to publish an authoritative list of the California Triple Crown of Marathon Swimming, hereby defined as successful unassisted swims of:
- the Catalina Channel
- the Santa Barbara Channel (cross-channel swims between any of Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, or San Miguel Islands and the mainland)
- the lengthwise (North/South) axis of Lake Tahoe.
These three swims represent arguably the most significant solo marathon swims in California, in terms of history, current popularity, and reasonable accessibility to amateur marathon swimmers.
If you live in California and hate traveling, or don't want to wait 3 years for a good EC window, or aren't rich enough for the O7, this could be for you!
As of March 2017, three swimmers have completed the California Triple Crown:
- Kevin Murphy - completed 2007
- Dave Van Mouwerik - completed 2012
- Tina Neill - completed 2015
30 others have completed Catalina and Santa Barbara, but not yet Tahoe. 16 others have completed Tahoe and Catalina, but not Santa Barbara.