Anne Cleveland 1954-2017

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited June 2017 in General Discussion

Anne Cleveland was a marathon swimming icon, IMSHOF inductee, early MSF supporter and Charter Forum Member @Anne, and we lost her too soon.

Growing up in a generation with far fewer opportunities for female athletes than we enjoy today, Anne had a gift for swimming that she didn't fully realize until her late 40s, when she became only the second American woman to finish a two-way English Channel.

She was a mentor, supporter, inspiration, and wellspring of knowledge to dozens of marathon swimmers, in her home base of Southern California and elsewhere. In 2017, we know marathon swimmers can thrive and succeed into their 40s, 50s, 60s, and older. Anne was a pioneer in this regard, one of the first to show our sport you're never too old to dream big.

We love you, Anne.

anne4

http://annecleveland.com/about-anne/

grappledunkthelittlemerwookierlmgregocKarenTwendyv34ViveBeneDanSimonelliSpacemanspiffbluemermaid9SydneDAnthonyMcCarleyTracy_ClarkssthomasMoCoJustSwimdanslosIronMikegreggbolsingerflystormskejoycedpm50dc_in_sfswimrn62Karl_Kingerylakespraydavid_barraLynnkub

Comments

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Anne helped me prepare for my EC attempt in 2014. She was generous with her wisdom and support. And, although I didn't make it to France, Anne was gracious and kind. "It's all about the journey, isn't it?" She had a megawatt smile and goofy humor that was irresistible. The marathon swimming community lost a very bright star.

ViveBeneevmoLynnkubgreggbolsingerDanSimonelli

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I didn't get to meet her, but just hearing about all that she accomplished and gave to the sport, I wish I had met her. What a lovely person! I'd say RIP, but she doesn't seem like she's just going to lie around in the after life--she seems like she'd be swimming happy and free and helping others with their goals. Imagine the conversation she'd have with, say, Matthew Webb!

LynnkubDanSimonelli
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber

Last night I assembled videos from of Anne Cleveland's double Catalina Attempt. Since it was a disappointing DNF, she not want to see them afterwards. I never did anything with the videos then. Now however, it is interesting to look back on Anne from August 3, 2010.

evmossthomasSolomolly1205greggbolsingerKate_AlexanderDanSimonellipavlicov