Ear Plugs

JustinJustin Baltimore, MDMember

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did not see anything when I was looking. So I am doing the swim around the key west in 2 weeks (first marathon swim), I had a question that since it is hot down in the keys if I should not wear a cap? If I don't wear a cap should I use earplugs? If so what are the best earplugs? Or would you recommend just going without a cap and ear plugs? Also on a sort of unrelated note, I wear my googles really tight (ever since I was 10) and I was thinking of bringing 3 pairs of googles and then alternating googles every 4-6 miles, thoughts?

Comments

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

You won't need a cap or earplugs. The Key West water is super-hot. A cap and plugs will help keep the heat inside of you, which isn't what you want to have happen.

Try not to mess with your goggles. Stopping to swap them out will cost you time that would usually be spent going towards the finish-line.

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

The RD may want you to wear a cap so others can see you better (in case you get separated from your paddler, too). If you decide not to wear a cap, be sure you sunscreen up your head and ears really well.

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Has anyone found ear plugs that really keep the water out? (not the Macks). Asking for a friend with very compromised ear canals. thanks!

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

No. I have found the purple Mack’s to be as effective as my custom molds. I used to like the Hearos swimming plugs that were a little larger than the Mack’s but they are hard to find. Both of my drums are perforated and I struggle with infections constantly. I recommend Ciprodex if they are prone to infections. It is expensive but works. The ENT may have some samples if they ask. Good luck to them.

j9swim