Rose Pitonof Swim (NYC)

JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber
edited April 2017 in Event Announcements

For anyone looking for a fun marathon swim to add to their 2016 schedule I wanted to put the word out that the 17 Mile Rose Pitonof Swim still has slots for relays and solos available.

I've done this one each year since the centennial and always have an amazing time. Tons of great NYC scenery and although the length is 17 miles the swim is with the current so finishing times tend to be more in the 5-6 hour range. Details below but feel free to contact me or the organizers with any specific questions.

Date - Saturday August 13th

Location - New York City

Distance - 17 miles (with current)

Cost - $850, plus $750 fuel reimbursement (solos, relays a bit higher)

Details/Registrations - http://urbanswim.org/rose-pitonof-swim/

Tagged:
molly1205

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Dang...

Jaimie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• tortugatortuga Senior Member

So am I correct in reading that each swimmer has to pay the boat captain $750.00 for "fuel costs" for what is essentially a 17 mile drift for a power boat? I accept that I'm a cheap bastard but that kinda sticks in my craw.

suziedodsJenA
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

I think it was $500 a few years back when I did it and there was no way my captain used that much fuel in his 18' +/- boat. He did however take his boat and spent his Saturday protecting me from the potential hazards in those waters. It was worth it but perhaps it would be better if termed Captain and fuel fee. I enjoyed this swim very much and it was the most support I ever had at any swim I have done. I had him and at least two kayaks with me for the whole swim. Because I was the trail swimmer most of the event, I usually had the trail boat and kayaker nearby as well. Great scenery and finish at Coney Island.

swimrn62suziedodsIronMikeJayJaimie
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@tortuga I'm not familiar with how much boat fuel this would actually take but overall the overall cost is super comparable to any other long-ish swim that goes through NY Harbor, it may just be the going rate for hiring a boat pilot rather than the actual cost of the fuel.

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

@tortuga The "fuel cost" is most likely just that...giant-air-quotes-fuel-cost. Seeing as you can't charter a boat without being a captain, but you can take folks out who offer to split the "fuel costs"...well who are we to know exactly what the "fuel costs" are, but $750 sounds like the right amount for "fuel" for a day out in NY Harbor.

gregocJaimie

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• tortugatortuga Senior Member

I'll never understand that town

Jaimie

Anyone doing this swim this year?

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Very tempting, but out of reach price-wise- and not at a time I can go-yet something to keep on my list. The NY Open Water folk are wonderful!

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

its run by Urban Swim and its still on my NYC wish list but I'm already committed to crew that day for someone else, so no go this year. But the reviews have always been great, those folks run a good swim.

• JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

I did this swim in '15 and really enjoyed it - we had a lot of chop and wind, but it really was a good experience.

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Hmmmm......

IronMike
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@IronMike - I've done it every year except one and it's always a great time. Amazing views of Manhattan and fun finish at Coney Island's Steeplechase Pier. Haven't solidified my summer yet but obviously I find it hard to stay away!!! Let me know if you have any questions. xx

I'm hoping to add this to my return-to-stateside plans for 2019 or so.

Jaimie

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

According to the website, it's Saturday, Aug. 19. I've wanted to do this swim for the past few years. I'm going to see if I can make it work! Would love to see you in your home turf, Jaimie!

Jaimie

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska