"Nothing Great is Easy" - Kevin Murphy vs. Des Renford documentary (1977)

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2017 in General Discussion

Recently came across this amazing bit of marathon swimming history, a famous "duel" to determine "the greatest endurance swimmer of our times" - a series of swims pitting Kevin Murphy against Des Renford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHy7e1PCxiI

IronMikesuziedodsphodgeszohoHelbeDanSimonelli

Comments

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I love watching this for so many reasons.
    I had "high " tea w Des Renford in 1992 at what is now the Best Western in Dover. Truth.
    I also am fascinated by his stroke! Not exactly classic . And the machismo of both of them... just well, cracks me up.

evmoDanSimonelli
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Watched it last night and really loved it. Thanks for finding this!

smith

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member

This is really great - thanks so much for sharing!!

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Loved the medical expert guy: "Theoretically, channel swimming at any time is impossible." :-)

fascinating video. Great to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy_ClarkHelbeevmoJaimie
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member

After watching this, I have a much better understanding as to how and why Kevin Murphy was so prolific. His mental state under the most adverse circumstances is simply far beyond what most humans can both endure and fathom. It's a rare form of extreme calm and mental toughness. Never rattles.

DanSimonellievmo

Keep moving forward.

• MpolMpol Toronto, Ontario, CanadaMember

Kevin Murphy must be one of the all-time heros of marathon swimmimg to have endured through all he has, in his long career. It is absolutely inspiring! Loch Ness is a remarkable body of water!

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

This film just makes me yearn for the days I read about in Wind, Waves and Sunburn. We need more of these crazy races.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

What a great piece of history. Fantastic watch. I have shared it out on FB as well. Thanks @evmo