Triple Crown - shortest turnaround

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited December 2016 in General Discussion

@david_barra said: Charlotte is, I believe, 3rd on the list of Shortest elapsed time from first to third crowns.

@SuddethB said: It is also an interesting metric to keep track of who was the fastest to complete the Triple Crown or the Oceans Seven from the date and time of starting the first swim in the set to the date and time of the last

The issue was raised in a different thread of the "shortest turnaround" between the first swim and the last swim.

According to Steve M, Patrick McKnight established the new record when he did all three in the span of 34 days this year - breaking the previous record of 35 days held by Rendy-Lynn Opdycke.

At the age of 24, Rendy Lynn Opdycke completed her Triple Crown within 35 days in 2008. She first completed the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in 7 hours 46 minutes on July 5th, then the English Channel in 10 hours 54 minutes on July 27th, and the wrapped her Triple Crown up with a crossing of the Catalina Channel in 8 hours 28 minutes on August 9th. (DNOWS, Aug 16, 2016)

What's interesting about the "shortest turnaround" record is there's a potential ambiguity in how it's measured: Do we start from the date of swimmer's earliest TC swim? Or is it any combination of the three swims?

As Steve says, Rendy-Lynn did all three swims within 35 days in 2008. However, what may not be commonly understood is that she did MIMS three times before 2008 - in '04, '06, and '07. So does it really make sense to count her "turnaround" as 35 days? It certainly seems a bit different than what Patrick McKnight or Charlotte Samuels did - all three swims for the first time within 34 days and 73 days (respectively).

Opinions?

Tagged:

Comments

• gregocgregoc Charter Member

The least number of days to complete all three, regardless of the # of times the person has done any of the swims in the past (i.e. even a current TC holder should have the potential to set this record if the do all three next season in 33 days).

evmodavid_barraDanSimonellislknightcurlyTracy_Clark
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

I agree with @gregoc

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

I like the idea that anyone can attempt the shortest turnaround even if they've done one or more of the swims previously.

I also think there's a reasonable argument for measuring it the other way. Here's why: The longest turnaround is measured by the duration between the date of the first TC-eligible swim, and the date when the third leg was finally completed. (Kevin Murphy I believe holds the record for this).

If the longest and shortest turnarounds are on the same list (one is at the top of the list, the other at the bottom of the list), this implies that the shortest turnaround is also measured by the duration between the first swim and the last swim.

@gregoc's method measures something different (though arguably, more interesting).

Thankfully, since the TC is not actually an officially sanctioned thing, we can make any number of lists we want!

gregocDanSimonelli

What is Kevin's overall TC completion time (the longest record)? I'll shoot to break that.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2016

Just a hair under 35 years.

Name English Channel Catalina Channel Manhattan Duration
    Kevin Murphy 1968-08-11 2003-08-08 2001-06-23 12780 days
    gregoc

Darn. I don't think I will live that long. Or at least I'll be too old.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

gregoc said:
    Darn. I don't think I will live that long. Or at least I'll be too old.

I'll crew for you

AnthonyMcCarley

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

Great point @evmo

Certainly longevity and ability to continue performing in the sport is highly praiseworthy!

gregoc