Capri to Napoli Marathon

Hi folks,
I'm considering applying for next summer. Has anyone done it? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Comments

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Anyone dealt with their 10-hour cutoff?

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

I haven't, but i'm very interested in possibly swimming this some day

SydneD

It looks awesome.
    I did find, last summer in Italy, that most people did wetsuit and I wonder if this is similar.
    The time constraint means swimming at a pretty speedy clip!

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@SydneD - I haven't done it but have seen videos and I don't think I saw wetsuits - speedsuits maybe? I think it's usually a mix of circuit pros and fast amateurs. Shelley Taylor Smith took a coaching group out there last year and I vividly remember that she had a swimmer (looked like a pretty fast amateur male) who made the cut-off by something like less than a minute and he was racing to get in before they pulled him...it looked a little crazy. I think she said there were some adverse currents too. Let me see if I can find the video for you - it's not letting me search right now.

SydneD

Thank you! I'd love to see anything more about it.
    Yeah--might not be for me.
    I'm looking, of course, at the non-FINA "amateur" one and that's still the cut-off. Yikes!

I need a good long one for next summer. Warm and in a beautiful place that would be fun for the family.
    Taking suggestions if you have any!

• There's a 25K in Greece.. I've not done it... but if I wrack my brain I can remember someone who has..
    Croatia also has an amazing OWS contingent.. and I LOVE Croatia.. LOVE Greece as well. I mean, just in case you need someone to carry your bags..

SydneDJay

@suziedods - I've looked at the 25K in Greece. The only thing is it's hard to figure out the logistics because it's pretty informally organized. Jim Boucher has done it, and we've talked about it. It's on my list!

@Niek - What's your feeling about that cut-off? It's yikes! For me, at least.

I'm a pretty strong swimmer, at least---in my mind. And I think that would be a reach for me.
    And yes, it's 850 Euro and you get your own boat and all kinds of other things. Like a sandwich. :)

I'm sure it would be awesome, but I'd hate to schlep my family all that way and have it be a bust because of a time constraint. It's one thing if it's a DNF because of my own issues but not because of that.

Any suggestions for this wanting to wander cold water weenie?

suziedods

Yeah, that's tough with bringing my family along. I try to make the long ones on the beginning of a vacation so they deal with my nonsense at the beginning, and then get the reward of a lovely trip. :)

DanSimonelli

Right? With my husband's work and travel schedule, I can't do last minute. My son is homeschooled, so I have some flexibility, but there are those pesky finances that need advance planning...

WHY HAS A SWIM BENEFACTOR NOT SHOWN UP WHO WANTS TO JUST PAY ME TO SWIM ALL THE SWIMS AND GIVE THEM NOTHING IN RETURN?!?!

suziedodsIronMike

And what about marathon swims in Asia? Anything anyone loves?

I was thinking Japan or Korea... :)
    Vietnam?
    Thailand?

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

@SydneD

Do you want or need it to be an organized event?
    You could do your own thing.

Coincidentally, I'm organizing a kids relay in that area for next summer, Capri-Ischia round trip, and have contact with boats/Capts in Sorrento that a friend had used previously and was pleased with their service.
    So far in my planning they've been very accommodating, knowledgeable and helpful.

We're looking forward to also swimming in the Blue Grotto and doing some swimming along Malfi Coast!
    :)

SydneDJaimieswimfreeordie

I have an idea for my own thing, which is in the planning stages in that it's in my head. That's about as far as it has gotten. :)

I don't need it to be an organized thing. Just want someplace beautiful and warm for my family and I. :)

And that sounds awesome! What an adventure for you and the kids!! When is it?

DanSimonelli

@DanSimonelli - I am not at all picky. I just want the PERFECT INTERNATIONAL SWIM AND FAMILY DESTINATION IN PRISTINE WATER! Is that too much to ask??? ;)

DanSimonelliMvG
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

End of Aug start of Sept

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited December 2016

How about Central Asia, @SydneD? Lake Issyk Kul is challenging (at a mile above sea level, cool-ish, surrounded by mountains) and ripe for swimmers to cross it. Great experience for your homeschooled son and exciting for you and your entire family! And if the timing is perfect I could even come out and crew for you!

For more info, check out my "No BS" guide here.

SydneDDanSimonelliJaimie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

@IronMike - I think it's too cold for my blood! I'm a weenie! And totally okay with that. ;)

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

18-22C is too cold? ;)

SydneD

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ThéobulleThéobulle FRANCEMember

Hello,
    on june 19 / 2017 i swim the Messina Strait with Luciano Vietri association.
    After i plan to swim the unofficial capri/napoli marathon.
    I am looking for advice, tips, swimmer, coach, crew who can help me ...

SydneD
  • SeanSean Member

@evmo do the results from the 'unofficial' capri-napoli events go into the long swims database?

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

@Sean said:
    @evmo do the results from the 'unofficial' capri-napoli events go into the long swims database?

The results of june and july are not loaded. I don't know if they allow wetsuit, because the results don't state wetsuits or skins, while for DB i reckon only skins are published.
    http://www.caprinapoli.com/web/?page_id=57&lang=en

The results of the unofficials are here, not loaded in the DB.
    I am also interested in the topic, although you need to swim fast , to have a time.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2019

@Sean said:

Unfortunately the organizer allows wetsuits for the "unofficial" swim and does not distinguish unassisted swimmers in the results. So, it's not eligible for the database under their current procedures.

I'm willing to make an exception for individual swimmers who provide a note from the organizer that they swam without a wetsuit.

SeanBogdanZSwimmersuz
  • SeanSean Member

Thanks very much Evan. In your experience, has the organiser been willing to provide such a note? Failing that, could my helper/crew document the swim as per the MSF criteria? I just registered for 2020 hence the questions!

Lynne
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Photo documentation of yourself from event day is also fine :)

Perhaps if the organizer receives enough of these requests he will realize it's easier just to add a "wetsuit / skin" column in the results? I honestly don't understand this practice, especially for such an historically significant swim.

SeanBogdanZIronMike
  • SeanSean Member

Thanks again. I'll certainly bring it up!