Hole in Jammers

andissandiss Senior Member
edited November 2016 in General Discussion

So yesterday, as getting changed to get into the pool, I noticed almost an inch long hole in my finis jammers, in the crotch :((
It looks like its just to the side of the seem. The rest of the jammers are in good nick. Like the material is still alive.

Quick question - is it worth a repair - needle, thread, patch and a bit of glue? Or bin them??

(yes i still went for a swim - just did more sneaky tumble turns :D )

Tagged:
loneswimmerdpm50

Comments

• Beginning of the end I fancy. Best get some new ones.

• JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

If you're set on keeping them, then perhaps wear an old Speedo brief underneath?

dpm50
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Get a new suit, you deserve it!

Polyester suits are great for resisting chlorine, but the thread and elastic? Not so much. You could fix that spot, but the thread will give out elsewhere. Lycra suits tend to start stretching before becoming transparent, so when it suddenly seems a size larger, that's your cue to get a new one. Swim suits are not designed to last years, or a year, or even 6 months. When you find suits on sale, buy several and there are any number of places to get them on the cheap.

As a lifeguard, I've witnessed a number of embarrassing suit blowouts and quite a few people wearing suits that are way past see-through. Sometimes we have the awkward job of letting people know about it, along with loaning them a towel to avoid the walk of shame to the locker room. I've seen some genuine acts of kindness, when swimmers got out of the pool and fished out their spare suit to loan to another swimmer facing the tragedy of a suit blowout. It's always wise to carry a spare, (cap and goggles as well).

If you really feel the need to get the most out of your old suit, use it as a drag suit over a new one. ;)

bluemermaid9

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• danswimsdanswims Portland, ORMember

I knew guy who restitched the seams of his suit and took great pride in how very long he kept it going, but seriously doesn't seem worth it.
    Had a suit blowout myself once, masters practice starting from the blocks, take your mark and the whole back midline seam split open as the first sign of failure. Did the 50 and headed to the locker room for plan B. Hopefully no one was too traumatized

• andissandiss Senior Member

Thanks lads, yeah i guess i have to let them go, only 6-7months old which is a pity.

I have another 2 pairs so im alright for another few months. ;)

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

In a high school meet a team mate of mine had his suit start to untie during the 500. You could see it slipping down on each successive flip turn and it got pretty funny. He ended up just swimming right out of his suit and finished that last 100 yards buck naked. We were all howling. Someone gave him a towel so he could exit the pool with a shred of dignity. I don't remember what place he got, but I'm sure it was one of the more memorable swims of the year.

dpm50rosemarymint
  • Hi,

I'm still learning, and so far I only have mile OW swims on record in my chosen stroke (butterfly), but am planning on a 5K this next season (goal is to bag a 10K). My wife has been complaining about the cost of the Speedo Jammers I prefer, even ordered via Amazon. I'd love to hear about the favorite low cost jammers the menfolk here prefer. What's your best source? I've seen some Asian brands offering inexpensive suits, but I saws no customer feedback, and I'm not clear on their sizing in centimeters since I saw no guidance on where they are measuring the circumference. Any suggestions?

Brian Suddeth - Maryland, USA

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@andiss, if the material hasn't gone semi-transparent, why not give it a try? Use the dental floss trick you probably learned while surfing.

loneswimmer.com

I had a new look yesterday before my swim, and it kind of looks like its repairable. I will ask my wife to see if she run it thru the sewing machine first. Ill make a mess out of it.

I've repaired wetsuit for years, glue, patches and a bit of thread.

SuddethB said:
    Hi,

I'm still learning, and so far I only have mile OW swims on record in my chosen stroke (butterfly), but am planning on a 5K this next season (goal is to bag a 10K). My wife has been complaining about the cost of the Speedo Jammers I prefer, even ordered via Amazon. I'd love to hear about the favorite low cost jammers the menfolk here prefer. What's your best source? I've seen some Asian brands offering inexpensive suits, but I saws no customer feedback, and I'm not clear on their sizing in centimeters since I saw no guidance on where they are measuring the circumference. Any suggestions?

Brian Suddeth - Maryland, USA

I buy from http://www.proswimwear.co.uk/

This is my take so far on brands, im a 32" waist

Orca jammers - good for colder OW as was quite thick but the material died after a while. Sizes are "correct"

Adidas Jammers - stay away material is crap

Mad Wave - russian brand - size seem off i got a pair of 30-32" and it was not good, and very low cut. I binned these.

Finis - actually love these - im using a pair of 36" (!!)

Head - same again, nice material and im using the correct size - however avoid any bright coloured ones, go for black as quite see thru. i regret getting a pair of green ones. or puke coloured as my wife says

I have a Chinese brand too - stay away, not great

http://www.proswimwear.co.uk/head-mens-jack-jammers-usa.html

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

More re women's suits here--can't be too helpful re guys. When a suit looks like it's on the verge of dying, I'll double it up with another one... but then order another suit asap. I'm a big fan of Tyr and can usually find sales on their website. SwimOutlet too has had some good deals.

Sierra Trading Post and Ebay are my go-to sources for suits, I usually pay an average of about $20/suit.

If you get on STPs mailing list, they send out deal flyers every day, sometimes up to 45% off their already half-priced gear and usually there's a free shipping deal over $50 or $100. I'll buy 4 or 5 suits when they come out to $18 each. They carry TYR, Speedo and Dolphin and what they have in stock varies. I've seen jammers for $9. I just checked and right now they don't have any men's suits, but they are worth keeping an eye on. They carry lots of other useful things for active people...dog toys, wool socks, bike/tri gear, camping gear...you name it.

I bought a Korean TYR suit once (on Ebay) because it was the kneeskin style and had amazing, unique graphics. I got a 2XL, which turned out to be a US 36, so when buying Asian sizes, be aware that they run a couple of sizes small. It has stretched a bit and fits fine now. I just wear it for races, but not in the pool, no problems with quality.

dpm50

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• I just had to say that a little bit of me hoped that "jammers" was another term for "pajamas" (à la "jammies").

dpm50suziedods
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Get a new one. And don't buy a Finis suit. ;)

dpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

i repaired it!!! :D

suziedodsdpm50