No BS Guide to Swimming Lake Issyk Kul, Kyrgyzstan

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited November 2016 in Resources

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am happy to announce the publication of the next in the series of "No BS" Guides, the No BS Guide to Lake Issyk Kul, Kyrgyzstan.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions I didn't cover in the Guide. And please, come out and swim this wonderfully beautiful body of water!

Thanks to Evan and Donal for hosting the document on MSF and thanks to @Nickthefish11 for the first two guides!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

DanSimonellievmoSydneDViveBenegregoc

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2016

@IronMike said: I am happy to announce the publication of the next in the series of "No BS" Guides, the No BS Guide to Lake Issyk Kul, Kyrgyzstan.

This is so awesome.... great work, @IronMike!

I'd love to see the Guides section of the website expand to include additional locations. @IronMike and @Nickthefish11 have done a wonderful service by writing these. Any other potential No BS Guide writers out there? Message me if interested.

* Big love and big credit to Nick Adams for inventing the No BS Guide concept.

IronMikessthomasViveBene
  • Oh my.. oh my.. this rockets to the top of my "ever growing" list....

IronMikessthomasViveBene
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

suziedods said:
    Oh my.. oh my.. this rockets to the top of my "ever growing" list....

Me, too, Suzie, me too.

IronMike
  • ViveBeneViveBene Member
    edited November 2016

Oh my. Field trip!

This beats bicycling through Eurasia.

IronMike
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    edited November 2016

I love the idea of authored guides, but not the masked profanity in the titles. :-S

Profanity, even when abbreviated, can conjure a harshness that some may find unwelcoming. We have 14 year olds swimming 50+km across Lake Ontario. Our audience can be quite young, especially for 10k (and under) types of distances. I think we would deliver a more supportive vibe if we dropped the "No BS" part, and went with something more family friendly.

Let us also be welcoming to those whose religions or cultures take issue with such language.

I even have a recommendation for replacing it. :-) How about "The MSF Guide to Swimming [insert body of water here]"? I'd be happy to author something for the Northumberland Strait (Atlantic Canada) under this banner. Putting MSF in the title would help to build the MSF brand, increase the MSF google juice, and could even strengthen the MSF community. I like the idea of us uniting under a common MSF project. All good outcomes, IMHO.

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Beluga Snorts?

ssthomas

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

suziedods said:

ssthomas said:

suziedods said:

Me, too, Suzie, me too.

ViveBene said:
    Oh my. Field trip!

This beats bicycling through Eurasia.

If you guys hurry, I can possibly come down and crew for you!

• IronMike said:

suziedods said:

If you guys hurry, I can possibly come down and crew for you!

When are you posted to Moscow? Field trip wouldn't be as much fun without you. (I am currently working with Andrei Kozyrev on his memoirs, for what interest it may hold.)

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@ViveBene, I'm in Moscow now.